Analysis Scott Selwood Debate

Remove this Banner Ad

His ankle is a big worry, pick 35 Via Compensation is about right. Hopefully gets back to that 2012/2013 form, looked like becoming a gun.

His ankle would be a concern and has cost us a lower compensation . Selwood does read the play very well and is a leader , well spoken and confident .

Would be good for your squad , I hope he does well !

His ankle would be a concern and has cost us a lower compensation . Selwood does read the play very well and is a leader , well spoken and confident .

Would be good for your squad , I hope he does well !
That is also a description of Horlin-Smith who similarly, can't get a game for us, it seems.

Thanks for 2012 Scooter.

Guessing TheBeardedEagle has gone to take a shower so he can't tell if he's crying or not.

If he wants to play in Geelong that is his call and wish him the best.

I've always said he is a better player than pick #35.

They well be a team looking for a top 4 or better finish if the get SS Danger and Hendo.

So if they let him go for a 2nd round compo they are handing a competitor another Knight on the chessboard for no cost to them. It's a foolish thing to give something to your competitors seeing they are highly likely to be serious competition to WC next year.

Make them work for it!

Last edited:

They well be a team looking for a top 4 or better finish if the get SS Danger and Hendo.

So if they let him go for a 2nd round compo they are handing a competitor another Knight on the chessboard for no cost to them. It's a foolish thing to give something to your competitors seeing they are highly likely to be serious competition to WC next year.

Make them work for it!
What is the likely outcome if you match our offer?

Make them work for it!
I can't see Selwood making Geelong better..He hasn't played decent football for a long time and there is no guarantee that he will again...Pick #35 is about right and if it wasn't such a weak draft i would say it would be in our favor !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanna say you guys have been super classy throughout this whole this as a supporter base and club. :thumbsu:
The club gets a bad wrap for a lot of things, some of it deserved, but one thing they've generally done pretty well is treat players with respect - even the ones that ask to leave. Honestly can't think of too many players that have left holding a grudge (apart from one that poked his head up during GF week)

And judd aside I don't think our fans have got stuck into past players all that much

Might be my selective memory but I think the above it's about right

Selwood gave what he could but I think he needs a fresh start and the attraction of playing with his older brother shouldn't be dismissed

Couldn't agree more. Also there is no future to be had in getting angsty when players and personnel leave.

Couldn't agree more. Also there is no future to be had in getting angsty when players and personnel leave.
It's becoming more common now so fans are becoming a bit more used to the idea.

Players and clubs are also seeing what works and what doesn't when it comes to managing a players departure.

Players and clubs are also seeing what works and what doesn't when it comes to managing a players departure.
This, personally, I think the reason Caddy and Smith wanted to come to Geelong is because Ablett put in a good word on our behalf.

This, personally, I think the reason Caddy and Smith wanted to come to Geelong is because Ablett put in a good word on our behalf.
Geelong handled the Ablett one pretty well under the circumstances - Thompson not so much but it's clear the marbles were starting to hide from him at that stage

Yeah, I think the thing that was really annoying is that Thompson knew he was gone, but you're right the marbles were well and truly all over the floor by that stage.

I'm pretty sure we're not matching. Hasn't been confirmed, however:

Selwood confirmed on Friday that he wishes to join brother Joel at the Cats as a restricted free agent.

The Eagles' 2012 best and fairest winner and current vice-captain was present at the Eagles' club champion awards at Crown Perth on Friday night.

Simpson said the club was sad to lose Selwood but thanked him for his contribution over eight seasons.

"The heart wants what the heart wants and you've got to appreciate how tough it's been for him and his family," Simpson told the 1000-strong crowd.

"But if your heart wants to go home we need to appreciate that.

"We really appreciate all the service you've given our club over the years, you're a best and fairest winner and you go with our blessing but it's with a heavy heart."

Selwood was recruited with pick No.22 in the 2007 NAB AFL draft and played 135 matches with West Coast.

He won the best and fairest in 2012 and was named as one of two vice-captains alongside Josh Kennedy at the start of the 2014 season.

But ankle problems have curtailed his last two years and he requires surgery on his right ankle for the third time this off-season.

Teammate Mitch Brown also paid tribute to Selwood during the night.

"You cannot question his commitment to this footy club over his eight years at the club," Brown said.

"He's been an integral part of our team, not only as a player but as a bloke."

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-10-11/eagles-farewell-selwood

Hawks getting a second rounder for suckling, who's getting 1 mill over 3. looks like we should get a second rounder, or maaaaayyyyybe an end of first?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hawks getting a second rounder for suckling, who's getting 1 mill over 3. looks like we should get a second rounder, or maaaaayyyyybe an end of first?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Where did you read that?

I think if Selwood should get 1 or 2 bands higher than Suckling as he is younger, getting paid a lot more and contracted for a year longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back