List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Scott Selwood moves to Geelong as free agent

Had you been across all my contributions re Mots you'd have known I have said I won't be concerned until the end of August as that's when Mots has signed in the past.

My post about Collingwood being into him was merely passing on what I'd been told by someone reasonably well connected at that club. If you don't consider him being very close to three people at Collingwood; seeing how Trav has developed his game there; going to a team possibly closer to a flag; and possibly getting more money as reasonably compelling then you don't have much of an idea.

Still think we are a good chance of keeping him. However, it would be negligent of other clubs not to at least look at Mots as we apparently have with all the players it's been suggested we are looking at too.

btw. The comment directed toward CE was facetious. He had the good sense to see it as such.
Thanks for the reply AM. I think that I now have a much clearer picture as to where you stand on the matter.

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Wouldn't surprise me if he lost his spot in the team before finals, then he might have trouble getting back in
I really don't want the Hawks to win it again and wouldn't mind if the Eagles beat them. If he lost his spot in the finals and couldn't get back in the team. That would be a good scenario for the cats. I think he'd actually add a lot to our team.

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
True, but Gazza left for a much more substantial pay rise than Scott would be getting.
but selwood is looking at other factors, ie wce are strong in the midfield, he gets to play in his home state with his brother
gazza was going to play with his brother $$$$$

but selwood is looking at other factors, ie wce are strong in the midfield, he gets to play in his home state with his brother
gazza was going to play with his brother $$$$$
Hey how come you don't call Gazza Judas any more? I kind of miss that! :D

All year i have been in the scooter 'is happy at wce and a loyal guy who wont leave' camp,but i have to say the more they push him towards the edge of the 22 it might change his mind,and like dangerfield i cant see him leaving for a club other than geelong.

We could be in with a chance on this one.

Joel could sure use his help with taggers too.

hbk_aus

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
All year i have been in the scooter 'is happy at wce and a loyal guy who wont leave' camp,but i have to say the more they push him towards the edge of the 22 it might change his mind,and like dangerfield i cant see him leaving for a club other than geelong.

We could be in with a chance on this one.

Joel could sure use his help with taggers too.

Or are they possibly starting to push him towards the edge of the 22 because he hasnt committed, or has indeed committed elsewhere ?

Or are they possibly starting to push him towards the edge of the 22 because he hasnt committed, or has indeed committed elsewhere ?

I don't think so for two reasons, one they are fighting for a flag so I doubt they would base selection leading up to finals on who will be there next year. Secondly regardless of his form or ability it needs to be remembered he is their vice captain and is very respected at the club for his leadership and professionalism, he may not be as good a player as his brother but he is as good a person as him, so I struggle to see the coach freezing him out that way.

They may know he is going, but I doubt it's affecting selection. If I had to guess I would say it's two things, he started the year underdone because of his injuries and was in poor form, he is starting to get form back now but in the time he is out other players have grabbed spots and pushed him to the periphery. Second it's probably gameplan related, they have a very powerful forward line and may want to change their ball movement to run and carry and get it there quicker, which would mean player change as they have a number of poor kicks in their midfield-Priddis is a gun but a poor kick, Masten too, Rosa similar, there is a reason teams always tag Gaff or Shuey as they are the best kickers. Simpson may have decided he only wants so many of the average kicks on the field at once.

The thing is the gameplan Scott wants to play now which seems to be quick running through the midfield and long kicking would work better if we weren't so poor at clearances. Because we are we start on the back foot and have to attack from HB, which we do with quick slingshot runners and then long to Haswkins. We get away with it against average sides as their forward lines arent good enough to punish us and our good intercept marks can hold the wall up and we then use our speed on the way out, but against the good sides they punish us before we can attack. It would be so much easier if we could start from clearance wins and Hawkins would be more dangerous. We have the speed and skill that we can carry Scooter's kicking-for us if he gets 25 disposals it doesnt matter if 20 are handballs so long as 10 are clearances, he can hand off to Duncan (who would play more on a wing if we had Scooter and Danger) and Motlop and Murdoch and Thurlow and Lang who have the speed and kicking skills to hit forwards one out, and he can help his brother with whoever tags him.

hbk_aus

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
I don't think so for two reasons, one they are fighting for a flag so I doubt they would base selection leading up to finals on who will be there next year. Secondly regardless of his form or ability it needs to be remembered he is their vice captain and is very respected at the club for his leadership and professionalism, he may not be as good a player as his brother but he is as good a person as him, so I struggle to see the coach freezing him out that way.

They may know he is going, but I doubt it's affecting selection. If I had to guess I would say it's two things, he started the year underdone because of his injuries and was in poor form, he is starting to get form back now but in the time he is out other players have grabbed spots and pushed him to the periphery. Second it's probably gameplan related, they have a very powerful forward line and may want to change their ball movement to run and carry and get it there quicker, which would mean player change as they have a number of poor kicks in their midfield-Priddis is a gun but a poor kick, Masten too, Rosa similar, there is a reason teams always tag Gaff or Shuey as they are the best kickers. Simpson may have decided he only wants so many of the average kicks on the field at once.

The thing is the gameplan Scott wants to play now which seems to be quick running through the midfield and long kicking would work better if we weren't so poor at clearances. Because we are we start on the back foot and have to attack from HB, which we do with quick slingshot runners and then long to Haswkins. We get away with it against average sides as their forward lines arent good enough to punish us and our good intercept marks can hold the wall up and we then use our speed on the way out, but against the good sides they punish us before we can attack. It would be so much easier if we could start from clearance wins and Hawkins would be more dangerous. We have the speed and skill that we can carry Scooter's kicking-for us if he gets 25 disposals it doesnt matter if 20 are handballs so long as 10 are clearances, he can hand off to Duncan (who would play more on a wing if we had Scooter and Danger) and Motlop and Murdoch and Thurlow and Lang who have the speed and kicking skills to hit forwards one out, and he can help his brother with whoever tags him.

You are most likely correct with that first paragraph although I always hark back to 2010 when Thompson was playing GAJ up forward a hell of a lot during that whole charade...

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Hmmm indeed

eeddcbaa20c45eb5c3e1e4e3c73c330f.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-...talks-about-contract-but-eagles-hope-he-stays

"He's a best and fairest winner, he's our vice-captain and he's an important part of our side," Simpson said.

"We've had conversations, but nothing too deep. To be honest it's been more about form and his body.

"He'll make that [contract] decision when he needs to, and I'll let you know when he does."​

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-...talks-about-contract-but-eagles-hope-he-stays

Hmmm....

That article makes me think two things:

1) he is probably going

2) i hope we are doing a very thorough medical and that our contract offer reflects the risk. The sound of him possibly still having issues with the ankle worries me.

Back