List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Scott Selwood moves to Geelong as free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked this bit:

We'll be doing amazingly well if we do manage to pick up that trio as well as Selwood, and manage to hold onto Motlop at the same time.
I think Scooter would be a good addition to the squad, but given his injuries I just see the potential for Geelong to trade in another player who may spend half his contract out injured. Same goes for Leunberger. This club needs to stop going for injury prone mature age players.

Could be the offseason that defines Scott's term at Geelong

Yep I can't see it being 500k a season on average. Maybe 500k initially to make sure the Eagles give it the all clear but then much lower for the next few years. If Motlop gets squeezed out because we're overpaying players from opposition clubs then it's bonkers. Guess we've just got to wait and see.
If we lose Mots because we won't overpay him I don't have an issue with that...

but it doesn't work well if we then overpay others...

I'll reiterate what others have said: our priorities need to be keeping Motlop and hopefully signing Dangerfield.

Scooter and Henderson would be nice additions, but if either of them come at the cost of losing Motlop, the trade/FA period will be a massive fail.
I think if Motlop leaves - and I'm very confident he won't - it's because we won't depart from our rigid payment structure and he can get a lot more money elsewhere. Don't think it will have anything to do with Scooter.

I suspect he will lift immensely now he will play with his brother at Geelong. Has been a bit average this year but has a B&F to his name.
He ran down Mots when you guys spanked us earlier this year.... his pace really surprised me... or was just Mots being in cruise mode at the time

I think if Motlop leaves - and I'm very confident he won't - it's because we won't depart from our rigid payment structure and he can get a lot more money elsewhere. Don't think it will have anything to do with Scooter.
+ 1 necessary and sufficient and all that.

Selwood had 3 excellent seasons in 2011-13. His offensive game grew through that period and he was promoted to our leadership group. He had a relatively slow start to 2014, as did most of our team as they became accustomed to Simpson's new game plan. He then picked up an ankle injury in a game against the Hawks midway through last year and underwent surgery.

He was brought back into the side for the dead rubber against Gold Coast in the last round of last year and he hurt the same ankle again. I think he rushed himself back because we were a chance of playing finals right up until the day before we played GC. He had surgery again and so his preseason was interrupted.

He experienced soreness in round 1 of this year and the medicos decided to rest him for an extended period. He came back in round 8 and hasn't missed a game since albeit in some he has been the sub. To be honest, he has probably been our worst performer in that time. He has been fumbly and his disposal/decision-making has been poor. Couldn't kick a goal to save his life and he went the entire game against the Pies without a solitary tackle. How much of that is down to ongoing ankle issues, I don't know.

Do your due diligence on his injury and if it comes out alright, I reckon any required treatment followed by a full pre-season will more than likely see him back to the heights of 2011-13. Playing with Joel will surely help.

We'll be doing amazingly well if we do manage to pick up that trio as well as Selwood, and manage to hold onto Motlop at the same time.
pitch-tent.gif

My gut feel is that Mots will stay. With the likely retirements this season (and next) we stand to have a bit of room in the cap to manoeuvre with. Signing Dangerfield (if it happens), Scooter, Henderson and Leuenberger (if they happen) would only increase his reason for staying I'd imagine. Signings like that put us back in the frame for a tilt at a Flag, especially if Motlop stays and performs as he has been. If he becomes a consistent performer at the level we know he's capable of then he writes his own contract basically the one after this... and with the likelihood that we'll have lost Bartel and Lonergan by then there'll be extra cap room again to accommodate him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

500k? I don't really know my player payments, but could someone enlighten me as to which current players at Geelong are roughly around that? Just seemed a little high.
I think he'd be in the 400k-500k bracket with the likes of Kelly and Mackie.

I'll reiterate what others have said: our priorities need to be keeping Motlop and hopefully signing Dangerfield.

Scooter and Henderson would be nice additions, but if either of them come at the cost of losing Motlop, the trade/FA period will be a massive fail.

Massive is overstating it, in my view. And 'fail' is a verb.

Apart from that, I agree with you.;)

Seriously, though, surely a player like Mots (who is already at the club) has a 'ceiling' set in our payment profile at the club which means that his contract is negotiated with little regard to any offers made to SS or any of the other reputed targets.

The Motlop situation appears to be almost entirely about dollars and length of tenure.

He can get offered significantly more on both fronts at any number of other clubs. But he seems pretty happy at his current abode.

That being the case, I'm very happy for the club to 'hold the line' (any Toto fans around here?) on those fronts and see if Steve is prepared to make some sacrifices to remain part of the 'bright' future at the Cattery that he's spoken about this very week.

In the end, if he goes, I'll believe the terms he was looking for (or insisting upon) simply got in the way of an ongoing mutually beneficial association. And I can't see that it will have much to do at all with contingencies like whether the Selwoods are wearing the hoops in tandem for 2016 and beyond.

Having said that, I didn't miss the opportunity to yell out, 'Sign up, Stevie!" several times at the end of the Dogs game I attended a couple of weeks ago.:D

I think he'd be in the 400k-500k bracket with the likes of Kelly and Mackie.
Don't forget that they are under the vets list which puts approx 125K of there wage out of the cap. And players like Kelly and Mackie are going to be taking a pay cut next year.

I heard that nuff nuff Greg Denham on SEN a few weeks back say that the Eagles have offered him a really good deal, and initially were a bit shocked that he rejected it. They believe he will be going to Geelong for less than what they offered him, which at least shows it's not financially motivated... prefer that type of person coming in than a $$$$ hungry one
Now how do we prize Adam away from the weagles.... I want the boxset damn it!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back