Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

phill5158

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I looked through the stats and I saw that he was showing glimpses of something while at Melbourne but then got traded to Adelaide and excelled from the get go.

I think that if Tommo had been given another chance for 2005 he would have excelled and been at the demons right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

He was traded because he wanted to go home. Nobody thought he was anything other than a young star. Nobody wanted to be rid of him.

Yeah you have to hate it when players do that. Its happen to the crows heaps of times if you sign with a club he loyal. That club has given you an opportunity at AFL so repay the faith.

I looked through the stats and I saw that he was showing glimpses of something while at Melbourne but then got traded to Adelaide and excelled from the get go.

I think that if Tommo had been given another chance for 2005 he would have excelled and been at the demons right now.

I think as Theseventhhamster said he just started to shine as an afl player and then wanted to go back to south australia

Thats it, we didnt want him to go

From memory, he really started to look like a young star in his last season for Melbourne, and then broke his foot halfway through the season.

I remember the disbelief I felt when I heard he wanted to go home... wasn't surprised in the slightest when he became one of the AFL's best mids.

I recall an interview Scott Thomson did on SEN I think. He said he loved the Melbourne fc and leaving was a tough decision. He said once he was injured he started to feel homesick, so it gave him time to think. Something along those lines. I'm not saying it's the reason he left but it certainly was a factor. Had he not got injured and played finals, who knows he may of felt good and could of stayed, he could of left regardless. Bit of a shame it was a player we actually developed properly. The other factor I feel is Adelaide were a power team in those days, so the appeal to play for such a great club, and perhaps a decent contract also contributed to his decision to leave. Kudos to Adelaide they identified a young talented South Australian who was out of contract and lured him home. I don't blame him for leaving and proud of his achievements. It hurt our club in a recruiting sense. Once bitten, twice shy. Watts over natanui for example. But I think the clubs past that 'go home factor' now.

This is the reason we took Watts over Naitanui imo. He would've went home after two years. Whereas Watts on the other hand is still here. I think Roos will get the best out of him too. Has already had a better season than NikNat thus far.

This is the reason we took Watts over Naitanui imo. He would've went home after two years. Whereas Watts on the other hand is still here. I think Roos will get the best out of him too. Has already had a better season than NikNat thus far.
We took Watts over NikNat as he was the consciences superior talent amongst recruiters at the time...

He wanted to go home. He told the club that if a suitable trade could be found it would be ideal. One was, and he was shipped off.

Nothing against the bloke but the club let him off far too easily imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We took Watts over NikNat as he was the consciences superior talent amongst recruiters at the time...

Whether he was superior was debatable, Naitanui had freakish ability (Still does obviously) but Watts seemed a much safer pick, and when the go home factor was added in Watts seemed the better option.

The Thompson situation kinda sucked, he was looking like a star in the making in early 2004 before he did his ankle, then he didn't play again that season and decided he wanted to go home. Nothing the club could have done about it.

Didn't Darren Jolly write last year that the reason he and Thompson left Melbourne was because of Neale Daniher

Didn't Darren Jolly write last year that the reason he and Thompson left Melbourne was because of Neale Daniher

That would've been harsh considering that's the guy who took you guys too the 2000 grand final regardless of the loss.

I know Neale Daniher was tough, but he couldn't of been that bad he was at the club for 10 years. Plus how often do you hear a player say the coach doesn't like me excuse. More often than not it's the players attitude than the coach. I think Jolly has been known to have problems with coaches.

I'm guessing you are referring to this article? http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/coaching-carrots--and-sticking-points-20120522-1z38e.html

That says nothing about Thompson, you must be mistaken. I don't know what went on between Jolly and ND but Jolly comes off as a massive ****** in the way he aired so much dirty laundry in the media.

Yeah that's the article. The other info on Scott I must have gleaned off the doyens at Demonland at the time. For what that's worth

I would say though that I found the Jolly article interesting, especially with so much boring groupspeak coming from the players where they literally say nothing, I'm glad he spoke truly

I'm guessing you are referring to this article? http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/coaching-carrots--and-sticking-points-20120522-1z38e.html

That says nothing about Thompson, you must be mistaken. I don't know what went on between Jolly and ND but Jolly comes off as a massive ****** in the way he aired so much dirty laundry in the media.

I thought Jolly came off as a big sook in that article too. He didn't get along with Neale, fine, but Danihers method led to generally very competitive teams even with having to deal with a nitroglycerin soaked club that would explode at the slightest provocation.

Jeff White kick arse for 75% of the game in the ruck then we'd bring in Jolly and start losing straight away and he gave us * all around the ground. We got rid of him and kept Jamar when at that stage Jamar's only talent was for running into the opposing ruck and hurting them. Long story short he was really s**t back then.

Ridiculous thread. Everyone was furious when he demanded to go home, we all knew he was a star. I was as bitter towards him as i was towards Scully when he left. Why drag all this up again?
I was way angrier at Scully. Funnily enough, at the time of his departure I think we all expected Scully would "do a Thompson" and be an established star at his new club by now. Doesnt look like that's going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back