Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Just some musings from today's hitout. Gold were probably the NAB squad, the violet team were everyone else.

Birch in the guts. Killed it. His kicks into F50 were as golden as his shirt.
Jono has entered the building. My BOG in the first half, clean and explosive.
BB controlled the rucks, which in itself is a bit of a concern. Fitzpatrick was a handy target up forward. Cegs was quiet but did take a nice pack mark. Pitt wasn't disgraced and is coming along.
Sicily played in the gold and kicked at least four, maybe more.

Skills look sharp. Roll on NAB.

Thanks ESC.

Assume Sicily is ahead of TOB and Fitzy in the 'replace Roughie' stakes?

Maybe, and he probably will get first go at it, perhaps, sort of. ;)

Certainly ahead of TOB anyway.

I don't think it is inscribed in stone.

There were some odd things happen during the game. Schoey played high exactly like he did in the finals. I had idly thought he might go to the Roughy role playing deep and then they'd possibly back fill Schoey's lead up role with TOB or maybe even Sicily, although he lacks the stamina or the aforementioned talls.

Also Fitzpatrick played as a marking target in the sweet spot and late in the game took a few marks, but even before that he was presenting like a marking target. Most odd.

So was Fitzpatrick playing in Roughy's role as a key or was he playing as the marking target resting ruck role that Hale and to a lesser degree McEvoy played last year?

It was completely unclear what was going on other than McEvoy rucked for a lot of the game and did not seem to go forward to rest, at least as far as I noticed.

If Fitzpatrick plays key forward in the challenge series and I am sure he will get a run at this in at least two of the games, and if he takes some marks, kicks goals, brings the ball to ground, and can apply defensive pressure (that might be a stretch), then he may be a better like for like replacement for Roughy than Sicily would be.

It's something for the coaches to consider between now and the start of the season.

Last edited:
Maybe, and he probably will get first go at it, perhaps, sort of. ;)

Certainly ahead of TOB anyway.

I don't think it is inscribed in stone.

There were some odd things happen during the game. Schoey played high exactly like he did in the finals. I had idly thought he might go to the Roughy role playing deep and then they'd possibly back fill Schoey's lead up role with TOB or maybe even Sicily, although he lacks the stamina or the aforementioned talls.

Also Fitzpatrick played as a marking target in the sweet spot and late in the game took a few marks, but even before that he was presenting like a marking target. Most odd.

So was Fitzpatrick playing in Roughy's role as a key or was he playing as the marking target resting ruck role that Hale and to a lesser degree McEvoy played last year?

It was completely unclear what was going on other than McEvoy rucked for a lot of the game and did not seem to go forward to rest, at least as far as I noticed.

If Fitzpatrick plays key forward in the challenge series and I am sure he will get a run at this in at least two of the games, and if he takes some marks, kicks goals, brings the ball to ground, and can apply defensive pressure (that might be a stretch), then he may be a better like for like replacement for Roughy than Sicily would be.

It's something for the coaches to consider between now and the start of the season.

Thanks Ordo. Very interesting to see how the key forward opportunity ends up and also whether the club prefer Kiwi to Brand as the tall defender...

No shows were Spank who has done SFA thus far. Hodgey who just ran laps at a fair old pace, Surman, Doc and Wlangers, and of course Rough and Woody. Health wise the list is in great shape.

Of the kids, JML is a ripper. Raw and aggressive, he hit Sicily late in the game with a fierce tackle, which Jimmy did not take too kindly to, I'd back Jermaine in to get rubbed out this year. JML was playing as a running defender, looks really switched on. Has made some serious strides.

Lachie L was also playing deep defender. Very composed and starting to show some athleticism. Needs to work on kicking but he is a Langford which is Hawthorn for saying he will only get better.

Hardwicke was running through the middle and up forward. Nuggety little buggar. Clearly well regarded as he spent a lot of time around the footy. Lovell was handy at the clearances but is still digesting our game plan, saw him run to dead spots and was ignored.

Burton; not only is he well worth keeping an eye on, probably worth going out and getting a few extra eyes. Fitness is not there but s**t there is hell of a lot there. Fantastic size, balance, health to one side, cannot see him spending much time at BHH. All the kids were in purple.

Webster ran off a HFF. Blistering speed, plays frantically, once he learns that the only guy that can tackle him wears 33 and plays for us, he could be very very handy.

We have a seriously quick squad. Smith, Hill, Bill, Jono, Siz these blokes are jets. We play that compressed footy then spread like mad men. Add elite kicking skills and you end up where we are, which is being the team to beat.

No shows were Spank who has done SFA thus far. Hodgey who just ran laps at a fair old pace, Surman, Doc and Wlangers, and of course Rough and Woody. Health wise the list is in great shape.

Of the kids, JML is a ripper. Raw and aggressive, he hit Sicily late in the game with a fierce tackle, which Jimmy did not take too kindly to, I'd back Jermaine in to get rubbed out this year. JML was playing as a running defender, looks really switched on. Has made some serious strides.

Lachie L was also playing deep defender. Very composed and starting to show some athleticism. Needs to work on kicking but he is a Langford which is Hawthorn for saying he will only get better.

Hardwicke was running through the middle and up forward. Nuggety little buggar. Clearly well regarded as he spent a lot of time around the footy. Lovell was handy at the clearances but is still digesting our game plan, saw him run to dead spots and was ignored.

Burton; not only is he well worth keeping an eye on, probably worth going out and getting a few extra eyes. Fitness is not there but s**t there is hell of a lot there. Fantastic size, balance, health to one side, cannot see him spending much time at BHH. All the kids were in purple.

Webster ran off a HFF. Blistering speed, plays frantically, once he learns that the only guy that can tackle him wears 33 and plays for us, he could be very very handy.

We have a seriously quick squad. Smith, Hill, Bill, Jono, Siz these blokes are jets. We play that compressed footy then spread like mad men. Add elite kicking skills and you end up where we are, which is being the team to beat.
So burton played?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah well they said that about Jed too and he &@&ked off. Hope JOR stays and becomes awesome otherwise my high-risk avatar policy can go f itself
Jed dominated drills. He never dominated a full length game or even half of one outside of the VFL.

So burton played?
Yeah, played a high forward role for the younger team. I don't believe he is near the required fitness level but he is doing all the physical stuff so the club must be comfortable with the structural soundness of his body.

Yeah, played a high forward role for the younger team. I don't believe he is near the required fitness level but he is doing all the physical stuff so the club must be comfortable with the structural soundness of his body.
That is really great news. I'm sure the club won't take too many risks with this kid. He seems such a talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back