Scruffydog v Cancer, rnd 2 (Latest: Scruffydog doing 'World's greatest shave')

Remove this Banner Ad

On Thursday I woke up to a package being delivered to my door.

That package was a jumper from Collingwood FC - a jumper signed by Maxwell and Bucks, and a card.

I'll post more about this in my blog and update it here, but if you wanted a reminder of what 'side by side' means, just keep this in mind. I didn't ask for anything (I don't even know how they knew, apart from that it started from this forum, so they must be watching us ;)), but someone from Collingwood went out of their way to brighten my day.

I didn't need any more reasons to love my club, but this makes me so proud to be with them.

Great about the jumper, maybe they really do read the board (lukem) at least. Hope you are travelling well this week and by the way I love the t-shirt!

I don't feel like making a whole new thread for this, as I certainly don't have the presence here that Didaka obviously did, but never-the-less I have spoken (or at least PM'd etc) several people in regards to the cancer I had 5 years ago, so I figure they deserve an update.

Today I was told that my Hodgkin's Lymphoma had resurfaced. It is down my left side, in lymph nodes next to my lung, and possibly (hopefully not - biopsy next week to confirm) in my liver.

Last time I was diagnosed, I was super confident and cocky that I would beat it.

It gives me no pleasure whatsoever to admit that this time around, I am less confident.

Those of you who had questions for me last time, I would be happy to answer them via PM (or I'll make a new thread if necessary - I obviously don't want to hijack this one, as this is for Didak's struggle, not mine) as I did before.

Mod Edit: Created new thread with OP's consent.
I'll only echo the "s**t news" theme.
I'm right behind you Scruffy.
You can beat this again.
You've done it before.
So keep a positive attitude and stare the mutha down.

Every member is as important as the President at Collingwood.
The same bond joins us all from the youngest child to heads of state.

Side by Side through thick and thin.

Nicely said Pie Eyed.

Meanwhile, my latest blog post describes my bone marrow biopsies and I feel I should put a warning that it's probably not for the squeamish (though there aren't any graphic images or anything): http://shaysemmens.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/marrow/

Looks like I'll be heading in to the Austin either tomorrow or the next day (waiting for a bed to become available, but I imagine it'll be tomorrow as I'm top of the list) for a stay and my first dose of chemo.

I just thought I'd take this opportunity before I potentially disappear for a few days to remind everyone that if they have any questions at all to feel free to ask them. You can do so here or send me a PM. I'll endeavour to answer anything you ask about my own situation or any other similiar situations you have going on. If you PM me I can keep it between us if that helps

Thanks for all of your continued support :)

I'm not sure it's possible not to be sick with chemo to be honest. I wasn't nauseous and didn't throw up at all apart from once when I had an infection, but the best way I could describe chemo is that it feels like what it is: it feels like you have poison coursing through your veins throughout your entire body. Everything just feels...wrong.

Then again, that was my experience. It won't be the same for everyone and there are different types of chemo 'solutions' (different mixtures pf drugs). I'm having a different type this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heading into the hospital today - a bed opened up as expected. So I should be starting chemo in a matter of hours.

That said, today wasn't all bad!

2013-11-13 11.09.56 (Medium).jpg

(Also just came back from the hairdressers. Needed shorter hair to help with the trauma of having it fall out (I'll shave it when that starts happening). Lol, look at me with my spiky head).

Hey scruffy, best of luck with chemo, just read the biopsies blog. the first one sounds a lot like my lumbar puncture but I am so pleased that the second one was so completely different. I think it's harder to go through something so painful the second time. take care and look forward to your return to. The boards. :rainbow: :: :thumbsu:

Scruffy
I,like everyone else here am following your story closely by reading what you post here and your blogs and I will take this opportunity to wish the greatest luck in the world in your fight against it.

Shay I will be following your plight for as long as you want to share it with us.all the very best mate.

Scruffy
I,like everyone else here am following your story closely by reading what you post here and your blogs and I will take this opportunity to wish the greatest luck in the world in your fight against it.

Shay I will be following your plight for as long as you want to share it with us.all the very best mate.

Hey scruffy, best of luck with chemo, just read the biopsies blog. the first one sounds a lot like my lumbar puncture but I am so pleased that the second one was so completely different. I think it's harder to go through something so painful the second time. take care and look forward to your return to. The boards. :rainbow: :: :thumbsu:

Lumbar punctures sound absolutely terrible. My mum has had both and said the bone marrow biopsy was worse, but I certainly hope I don't get to find out. Bad luck with that one :/

Lumbar punctures sound absolutely terrible. My mum has had both and said the bone marrow biopsy was worse, but I certainly hope I don't get to find out. Bad luck with that one :/
Totally agree when you described yours I considered that much worse! I'm just amazed you could prepare for the second, when I had to have the second lumbar puncture I was reasonably freaked out and don't think it hurts anywhere near as much. Hope you've got some good stuff to read in hospital - boring places generally and daytime tv sux.

I will tell you a true story about having an epidural ie a lumbar punch.Back in 1984 I had a little bony growth called a bursar on my instep and when I went in to get it taken off they I asked them if I could go home that night and they told me if I have general I would be in onight but if I had an epidural I could go home that night.

Well I chose the epi route and they gave a small needle in preparation for the large epidural needle and told me it would be painful but under no circumstance was I to move as it would probably leave me in a wheelchair.

They were right it was bloody painful but I dare not move and then when I went into theatre I could feel him operating and I said Oi I can feel that and next thing I know they put the masked on me and they did not let out until the following day the Bastards.

Will catch up with you fella,s tomorrow good night all.

Always take the general, ipswich!!

And jaxter, I have books and loaded my tablet with TV shows so I'm set :D

Also, chemo was delayed until tomorrow and my visitors have left so I had time to whip this up! Much less gruesome than the last one! Enjoy.

Http://shaysemmens.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/ct-scan-and-lifes-little-accidents/
Wish you had told me that in 84 mate but it is good to know.I also had one of those scans you blogged about and I would agree 100% with the feelings it induced and the taste of that crap they make you drink ghastly stuff.
I am off to work now so have a good day mate and catch you later.
All the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back