SDJFL Past greats

Remove this Banner Ad

Never easy in U12s to play against 6 foot 8 blokes!

A few years above me I reckon there was a big blonde kid from Nagambie they use to call Magilla or Gorilla or something like that.

It's always a terrifying sight in junior footy when there's big developed kids competing against little tackers years away from getting any hair around it!!!

how good was the great jason " fanta pants" "fart" mcmartin back in his younger days played with him a couple of seasons ago have heard he was pretty handy.

Wouldn't have thought it was him, Makes got into the banks after school, spent time at Crown and then back to the banks I thought.

I could be wrong though.

One bloke from our vintage I haven't heard of for a while was Anthony Skinner. Remember a day at Broady he got the ball in the back pocket and no bugger could catch him, ran all the way and goaled for Pucka . . . . there only score of the day, unfortunately there was many a day like that for Pucka, even though they always battled he was a standout.

Matty Makin spent time with Tongala in about 1994/95 was a pretty solid goer from memory I can't remember what he was doing for work though being a VET rings a bell but can't be sure.

A few years above me I reckon there was a big blonde kid from Nagambie they use to call Magilla or Gorilla or something like that.

It's always a terrifying sight in junior footy when there's big developed kids competing against little tackers years away from getting any hair around it!!!

Probably quite a few years before your time Doon, but I remember a big blonde bloke from Nagambie that they called 'Yogi', absolute monster of a kid who used to frighten the daylights out of me.

Adam Miller is the man you're thinking of: "Gorilla". He wasn't ridiculously tall like Pop Rivett, but he had the body of an 18yo in under 14s.
In a sad post script, I am pretty sure I heard a few years back that he had actually passed on. Can't be certain of it, but it jjust rings a bell for some reason.

hey guys from the uk.
what about seymour junior football games record holder aaron cain. he must be in with a shot.

BAZ wats goin on ya mad cat? how do ya like it over there?

not much mate. just working my arse of at the moment. havent started up yet. its a little cold at times here mate. and the people are a little hard to understand at times. different sayings and so on. hows things with you pal?

best from my time in sdjfl.
Tom Lyons, Dave Mundy, Mark Treble, Micheal Greenaway, Mick Sheils (St Mary's) Rodney Van Reit, James Hender, David Brockway (Seymour) Robbie Douglas (Broadford) Ken Dickenson (Heathcote) "Happy" (Euroa)- cant remember happy's name:confused:

not much mate. just working my arse of at the moment. havent started up yet. its a little cold at times here mate. and the people are a little hard to understand at times. different sayings and so on. hows things with you pal?
wat r ya doin for work? yeh ya picked a s**t country to go to all those whinging ass poms lol, im not doin much mate just lookin for a job other than safeway, well hope all goes well mate catchya

Matty Makin spent time with Tongala in about 1994/95 was a pretty solid goer from memory I can't remember what he was doing for work though being a VET rings a bell but can't be sure.

The Matty Makin that we all know works for JB Were. Bump into him every week at the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

best from my time in sdjfl.
Tom Lyons, Dave Mundy, Mark Treble, Micheal Greenaway, Mick Sheils (St Mary's) Rodney Van Reit, James Hender, David Brockway (Seymour) Robbie Douglas (Broadford) Ken Dickenson (Heathcote) "Happy" (Euroa)- cant remember happy's name:confused:

all very good players. also tam smeaton was a good player. rob douglas didnt feature much at broadford as he playing at kilmore. i also remember ben hutton, cam clydesdale, ryan hauser, alan loweke, richard purcell ( before he had two knee recos) and then also tom robinson, john rudd, wayne pisani and leroy and ben rohde all being good players through the juniors. seymour won a premiership with most of those players in the under 15s in 95 i think.

Anyone have any thoughts towards the players in the Seymour Junior league today? St Marys, Euroa, Broadford. etc

I cannot believe Adam Smith (St Marys) has not been mentioned on this thread yet. He killed the SDJFL for years. He and Rory Hilton were the best in my time by a mile.

Luke Weller (Kilmore) was also very good in the early years.
Robert Lincoln from Nagambie is a blast from the past. He was very handy in the juniors.

team from 2002 -2005
b j vidler j robertson f rewen
hb j ivill s wright s ezard
w m ure k giovannini (aka kouta best ive seen) r fere
hf b clifton b gleeson j morrison
f a hobbs a green w wheeler

R HAPPYS BROTHER (GLAD)

b cunningham
salidino

team from 2002 -2005

R HAPPYS BROTHER (GLAD)

b cunningham
salidino
did u only watch euroa play? from saint marys in those years were probly, jake anderson, sonny judge williams, dom russo, michael dundon, jack hesse and Mr seymour scotty the frenzie mcenzie!! also from other clubs were; leck (heathcote), brent le cerf (tahbilk), jacko hutton (tahbilk), tyrone muir (tahbilk), grant hately (tahbilk), willie hollman(st marys), dukey jenkins(seymour)

team from 2002 -2005

R HAPPYS BROTHER (GLAD)

b cunningham
salidino

ill have a go at mine. finished in the under 15s in 2002
b: Adam Saunders Robbie Douglas Ron Surmiak
hb: Darcy Waugh David Mundy Mark Treble
c: Tom Lyons Rodney Van Reit Luke Gilliland
hf: Danny Haysom David Brockaway Jake Anderson
ff: Dom Russo Jesse Silver Chris Ball
foll: Tim O'Keefe James Ezard Richard Douglas
int: Ben Carboon Andrew Dundon Roman Chawanetz Kane Touhey

st marys and broadford were the dominate sides for pretty much my whole time in the sdjfl. must be heaps ive forgotten.

all very good players. also tam smeaton was a good player. rob douglas didnt feature much at broadford as he playing at kilmore. i also remember ben hutton, cam clydesdale, ryan hauser, alan loweke, richard purcell ( before he had two knee recos) and then also tom robinson, john rudd, wayne pisani and leroy and ben rohde all being good players through the juniors. seymour won a premiership with most of those players in the under 15s in 95 i think.

Think that flag was 1996
from memory that 15s team had Joffa Anderson, Wayno Pisani, the Rohde boys, the purcell twins, hauser and Tommy Rob.
Ruddy was more my time bazz, our last season was 94 under the coaching of Bryan Smith.

what about SDJFL Players who have gone onto the AFL?

I'll start the List:

Barry Hall (Broadford/Saints/Sydney)
James Ezard (Broadford/Port Adelaide) he's yet to play seniors???
Ritchie Douglas (Broadford/Adelaide)
David Mundy (St Mary's/Freo)
Rory Hilton (Euroa/Brisbane/Tigers)
Darren Milburn (Kilmore/Geelong)
Ben Kinnear (Kilmore/Sydney/Collingwood) i think it was ben?
Mick O'Sullivan (St Marys/Melbourne/Essendon)
Jon Soloman (St Marys/Brisbane) or did jonno play at the lions?
Jason Johnson (Kilmore/Essendon)
Russell Richards (seymour/melbourne)
Hayden Lamaro (Euroa/Melbourne)

feel free to add

Remove this Banner Ad

Back