SDJFL Past greats

Remove this Banner Ad

The saints had a very good side in u/16s in mid 80's-Jono Soloman, Paul Spagnolo and Alex Clydesdale were in one team-although Jono was no superstar until he turned about 18. Darren Comi would kick a bag for the seniors on Sat and then line-up for Seymour u/16s on Sundays. Robin Gardiner was a great junior coach at St.Mary's

remember playing against schimma he was a gun & full of yap. I remember having a big punch on in a U16 semi final against wallan got reported & sent of. Dougie D told me to plead guilty under provication did that & got a bloody week. I remember that big allby think it was him i wacked i remember they had jacko as a captain coach of u16. Chook B.

[My SDJFL days were between about 1985 thru to 1991/92. Some of my interleague team photo's from memroy feature blokes like the Pertile's, Mick Thomson (St. Mary's); Jezza Gaehl (Lions); Jeff Roscoe & Mick Beeby (Demons); Lee McRae, Shannon Hope (Kilmore), Jason McGrath & Martin Romeril (Wallan), Fart, Paul Mills, Cam Hilton (Euroa), reckon Darryl Lynch mighta played at Pucka.

From memory my first year in each age group features blokes like Jarrod Humm, Ben "Fonz" Fandrich and Big Abbott (Kilmore), Dave Koevets and Damien Quigg (Demons), reckon Bishop, Ekberg and James Rudd, maybe even a Johnny Burns??? (Seymour), Hayden Langborne (Wallan), Anthony Skinner (Pucka), Matt Mills??? (Euroa) Sobby O'Brien (St. Mary's)

We had guys like Chris Mills, Brett McKenzie, Stuie Denness & Spudda Edge who figured in the rep teams most years I played I reckon.

Doona, that is fantastic! Hilarious to think of these guys in their younger days. That guy Darryl Lynch was funny to play against. One of the angriest 12 year olds I ever came across.

Had forgotten Fonz. The boy could play.

Cameron Hilton from Euroa kicked 17 goals one day against Puckapunyal, but think Makin from Kilmore pipped him for the goalkicking that year.

Broadford and Kilmore were the dominant sides of those eras (thanks largely to those massive Mills blokes, Jacavou, Peva etc.).

As for frightening, I still shudder driving through Wallan. Fierce creatures up there. Expelled from the league for that memorable parental chase involving a poor umpire in a semi final. The likes of Tony Soprano and Tony Montana would have found it tough running their business in Wallan, although I suspect Montana would have had many customers. Bustling Bazza Hall missed out on an under 12 grand final thanks to that incident - guess that makes it 1 premiership from 4 attempts for the big man?
Sorry, But what about Jacavou. Where is he I remember playing against him when we played Assumption College in Yr 10, he was massive and excuse the LATE MAIL I'm enjoying reading the old threads from 2 years ago i'm a new comer to this stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back