TigerCraig

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manly
Great show - true ensemble stuff in that the minor characters were as interesting as the major ones.

New show coming out soon made by the same woman starring Richard Roxburgh & Tom Long

Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules
Unfortunately I didn't give this show a fair go as it contained one of the most hypocritical diva actesses going around - Ms Thornton. She makes me nauseous with her chardonnay sipping leftism. Shades of Team America f** members come to mind every time I see her plugging pills on commercial TV.

Apart from that, I enjoy seeing St Leonards every now and then on the early shows.

Oct 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Exers
Rewatching this now
it really is so solid

like Northern Exposure - but very funny with the dry Australian wit.... Kevin Harrington and Tom Long are brilliant.... you have to love the use of the character "Bucket" that you never see

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I was about 12 when it started and I think it was aimed at middle-aged people and at my age I thought ABC was boring uncool crap anyway.

Was Always Greener a rip off of it?

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
It was a decent drama. There have been superior Australian dramas in the last three decades, but this was certainly a cut-above anything like All Saints, Blue Heelers, McLeod's Daughters, etc.

I was only a pre-teen at the time (I got the same middle-aged vibes), so remember preferring things like Water Rats. Caught up with this in the last couple years and it won't blow your mind, but if you did a top 10 Australian dramas in a given decade, it would be very stiff to miss. The Northern Exposure comparisons are very apt.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...9/news-story/cd2dc9432fd8373fe3c6d989aa60fdf1

It's coming back.

ALMOST two decades after it left screens, beloved Australian drama series SeaChange is returning for a new season.

The surprising news came as part of the Nine Network’s announcement of its 2019 programming highlights today, and will see original stars Sigrid Thornton and John Howard return to the fold.

Terrible news. The Commercial networks will ruin it, especially one as pathetic as ch.9.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Sad but true. Underbelly: Golden Mile (2010) is the only season of non-import Nine drama I recall watching since the mid 00s (was in Victoria during the first season of Underbelly, so didn't see it FTA).

Back