Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Pick #27 in the 2013 National Draft.

lemmens_sean_2013.jpg

Height: 184cm.
Weight: 76kg.

The inside word:
Medium defender who wins the contested ball and is able to find time and space to deliver the ball with precision. Kicks the ball well, has good pace, intensity and second efforts. Played all five matches for SA as an overaged player, providing great rebound for his team.

Profiles:

Chris25:
Of all the 19 year olds playing in the Championships this season, Lemmens would be competing with Nankervis as the most improved. Last year, he wasn't named in the U18 squad and didn't receive even a state screening invite. He did get a tryout with Port Adelaide prior to the rookie draft, but that's it. So he really has come from nowhere, considering he has played in every game for South Australia this year. Last season, he tended to play more across half forward and he was fine without ever standing out. But this year, he has moved to the back line and has been excellent - consistently being named in the better players, even winning 24 touches against Vic Country. Lemmens is reading the ball really well coming into the defensive 50, and is heavily involved in linking up out of the back line. I think he'll get his chance in the draft this season, and has some good football blood lines - including having Geelong's Allen Christensen as a cousin.

Knightmare:
Lemmens has played some strong footy this season and is a much improved player after being overlooked last year. He looks set to develop into a high production rebounding backman or a wingman at the next level. He’s a clean user of the footy and a real endurance athlete who will link up and get involved in the play. Down back he has the ability to leave his man and take the intercept mark but then also has strong 1v1 marking strength. Also provides some run and carry when given the opportunity.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Lemmens to squeeze AFL dream.
An attacking defender that lights up in open space, Sean Lemmens says he has plenty to offer the Gold Coast SUNS.

“I see myself as a rebounding defender, that really likes to take the game on,” Lemmens told goldcoastfc.com.au.

“And I don’t mind putting my head over the football when I have too.”

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, GS Warriors
With good defensive skills he could be our lock for the back pocket in years to come... we actually need a smaller defender as most of our young ones are 190cm+ (even the rebounders). Would provide good balance and could play on those small forwards that we often struggle with.

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Yep, with Mav and Wilko gone, our small defender depth is fairly low.

But this guy looks to have better disposal skills than Wilko, and is better defensively than Mav. So it's a bit of a gain. Bit of a combination.

Could see him get games as early as next year IMO. May need to bulk up to 80-82kg at least though.

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Right so I am officially a massive fan of this kid. I am elated at how good a job our recruiters have done on finding this little gem. Yes, I know, early days but signs are ominous so I am backing him. You can all hang s**t on me if he turns out to be a spud.

Chris25 had him at pick 60. Snoop Dog had him at pick 68. Knightmare had him at pick 65.

So guys, what were your knocks on him to let him slide so far? He looks to be absolute quality. Is excellent one on one, tackles hard and is good on the rebound. Makes good decisions too. Fills a massive need we have for a small defender. Certainly worthy of where he was selected so far.

What have you guys thought of him in his NAB Challenge games?

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Why did I not have Lemmens higher? Because when I put all my favourite South Australians inside the first couple of rounds, I get criticised for bias. :p

I was a big fan of his last year, I kept talking him up to anyone who would listen. I even mentioned him as a possible rookie pick in 2012, but the move from small forward to running defender was a great one for him. He's always had good skills, but looked a natural in the back half and was able to get much more involved with the play unfolding in front of him. A bit like that former Port Adelaide player you guys signed, only with heart. In terms of why he wasn't talked about more, there'd be three main reasons - being a 19 year old, being South Australian and being solid rather than spectacular. When you're an overaged non-Victorian, you pretty much need to be BOG in every game to get any sort of attention on BigFooty.

He did still go earlier than what the other 17 teams would have rated him at, but when you have a list like the Gold Coast does you can afford to pick for needs.

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Thanks mate just what I wanted to know :) I will never doubt your opinion on SA talents! Haha.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
When you're born a year earlier unless a high end prospect you're not going first round and with his thin build I was surprised he was drafted as early as he was.

Credit to Sean for the early promise he's showing and so far living up to his draft position. He's showing that he can mix it with AFL level talent and he looks like a nice pickup as another South Australian talent Gold Coast have scouted well after also doing very well with Timmy Sumner.

Gold Coast as a club recruiting talent continue to recognise guys with real weapons outside of the first round whether that be extreme pace or incredible footskills and it's creating quite a list in a hurry to go with those top end mids and a nice core group of young talls. As a frequent Gold Coast viewer it's already scary to watch as an opposition fan with more talent on this list than the game has possibly ever seen. You just don't find lists with that many guys who can run or kick let alone both like the Suns can.

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Thanks Knightmare I'm glad you guys have also been impressed by him as I'm glad its not just my bias! Haha.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Right so I am officially a massive fan of this kid. I am elated at how good a job our recruiters have done on finding this little gem. Yes, I know, early days but signs are ominous so I am backing him. You can all hang s**t on me if he turns out to be a spud.

Chris25 had him at pick 60. Snoop Dog had him at pick 68. Knightmare had him at pick 65.

So guys, what were your knocks on him to let him slide so far? He looks to be absolute quality. Is excellent one on one, tackles hard and is good on the rebound. Makes good decisions too. Fills a massive need we have for a small defender. Certainly worthy of where he was selected so far.

What have you guys thought of him in his NAB Challenge games?

He's been very good hasnt he but lets remember it is still NAB Cup.

Remember the kid was completely passed over in his draft year and the 3 of us I think had him going as a rookie at the least so in some ways you could say we spotted him early rather than take the view we had him so low in his draft year. Also, history says once you miss in your draft year even if you go pretty well the following year you are likely to go late in the ND or rookie. Only been a handful of exceptions to that and hence why I had him around there.

Chris25 was pretty big on him in his draft year where I think I had him as a rookie (not sure where Knighta had him). The knock I had was I thought his 1:1 work was lacking along with a bit of endurance. Langdon was a bit the same and its a credit to them they worked on it in their over age years and got drafted.

Anyway he looks good and like Boston I reckon you got a couple of gems late.

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
He's been very good hasnt he but lets remember it is still NAB Cup.

Remember the kid was completely passed over in his draft year and the 3 of us I think had him going as a rookie at the least so in some ways you could say we spotted him early rather than take the view we had him so low in his draft year. Also, history says once you miss in your draft year even if you go pretty well the following year you are likely to go late in the ND or rookie. Only been a handful of exceptions to that and hence why I had him around there.

Chris25 was pretty big on him in his draft year where I think I had him as a rookie (not sure where Knighta had him). The knock I had was I thought his 1:1 work was lacking along with a bit of endurance. Langdon was a bit the same and its a credit to them they worked on it in their over age years and got drafted.

Anyway he looks good and like Boston I reckon you got a couple of gems late.

Yeah it is and I may be getting ahead of myself. He fills an area we lack though (small forward stoppers) so I hope he comes up trumps.

Thats a good point though and I hope you did not think I was criticising you guys I was just curious what made him slip. Thanks for the insight :)

shaqsuns

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
he was brilliant again today our back line is starting to take shape for the future, Tape, Thompson, Lemmens, Kade, Day (maybe chb), McKenzie, cameron

shaqsuns

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
As you already know Sunny_ it was a tale to 2 halves, not sure who he was lined up on but look very much a footballer in the first half, in 2nd half he was still good but not as eye catching. differently worth the $117,000 price tag in super coach

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Lemmens' sweet start

High Performance Manager Stephen Schwerdt couldn’t be more impressed with the start Sean Lemmens has made to his fledging AFL career with the South Australian rocketing in to calculations for a round one debut.

With key defender Rory Thompson recovering from illness and in some doubt to take on the Tigers, and backline options Seb Tape and Nathan Bock restricted to the training track, Lemmens is shaping as a key member of the SUNS’ defensive corps after some eye-catching efforts in the pre-season.

Lemmens played predominantly in the reserves for Port Adelaide in the SANFL last season, but Schwerdt says the 19-year-old has adapted particularly well to life as a senior AFL player.

“There is a couple (first-year stand-outs) but one that comes to mind is Sean Lemmens,” Schwerdt said.

He’s a young player out of the SANFL last year, with this being his first year in the AFL system.

“He is probably one who has taken on board what it means to being an elite athlete and how to prepare properly. He has probably been one who has caught my eye.”

And Schwerdt is not the only person Lemmens has left a lasting impression on.

After the side’s most recent performance against Collingwood, Guy McKenna expressed similar sentiments, with the Gold Coast coach revealing it would be hard to omit Lemmens from earning a round one debut against Richmond.

Defensive coach Dean Solomon echoed his mentor’s post-match assessment, as he heaped praise on the young defender’s aggressive, no-holds-barred style of play.

But what has impressed Schwerdt most has been the teenager’s willingness to transform himself as a complete athlete.

“They go from being part-time footballers to being in a full-time sports environment, so for a lot of them it is a big change and adjustment period, and quite often the guys who adjust the quickest seem to progress the quickest.”

“That’s why whenever I say being an elite athlete it is all about the one-percenters; what you do away from here including your diet, sleep, recovery and the decision on make that can help the high performance side of things on the training field and on game day.

“And Sean has definitely ticked those boxes.”

Exclusive to goldcoastfc.com.au

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Lemmens' first goal sweeter than sugar.
Gary Ablett might have stolen the show in Gold Coast’s winning QClash 7 match, but it was Sean Lemmens and Kade Kolodjashnij’s first AFL goals that sent Metricon Stadium into a frenzy.

The first-year guns brought the house down with their sensational maiden majors, with Lemmens’ effort set to last long in the memory bank after a brilliant piece of work before he goaled from just inside 50 in the third quarter.

volkerball

Team Captain
Aug 25, 2013
Illinois
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Not much discussion going on about this kid. He's been rock solid all season imo. Glad we got him.

Back