Official Match Thread Season 20 Round 5 - Baghdad Bandits v Geelong Wolves @ Adbu Prison

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it just our school that used the term "telephone" where you could bounce the ball in your hands to spell it then bounce it back over?

I of course never used it as I was just to un-co back then. Come to think of it I still probably am.

We used to use "Suspension!" when we held the ball for more than a few seconds in order to change its direction. I used to be good at doing the quick receive and then return very close to the line with a quick small bounce in their square to reduce their time to return it.

I'm not saying that I pay attention to the storyline, it's just covering up the important stuff. :D

I always prefer the situation is somewhat believable. I dunno why that's important. Maybe it's so I believe that one day I'll be in a similar scenario...

barney-1.gif

Wait, so you guys could hold the ball? I would cup the ball on my hand every so ofen when the ball was behind me. But I would be told off for this action and had to move down for it.

Another rule that changed from school to school was if you went out, how many spots you moved down. It varies from one spot, to all the way down. And in some versions, it was different depending on which square you were in.

I always prefer the situation is somewhat believable. I dunno why that's important. Maybe it's so I believe that one day I'll be in a similar scenario...
That's why the amateur stuff is so popular, and the hunt for new talent so crucial.
ABH is trying to act like he knows what his talking about. ;)

Wait, so you guys could hold the ball? I would cup the ball on my hand every so ofen when the ball was behind me. But I would be told off for this action and had to move down for it.

Another rule that changed from school to school was if you went out, how many spots you moved down. It varies from one spot, to all the way down. And in some versions, it was different depending on which square you were in.

We usually went with: Ace out drops to Dunce, all other squares drop back one, if Dunce gets out they go Double Dunce, Triple Dunce and then Out of the game, to be replaced. Sometimes no Triple Duncing.

Yeah same here. We had King/Queen up top, and Dunce down the bottom, everyone else was just in the chain, moving progressively up. You wanted to be careful who your queen was in case the person in the next square tried to depose you in an alliance with them. More treachery than GoT.
i loved the game, hot rice.
a version of brandy & you could knock the ball away with knuckles

i loved the game, hot rice.
a version of brandy & you could knock the ball away with knuckles
I googled it, so it's basically ball tiggy with a little bit of soccer involved. I remember a variation where someone would throw the ball up in the air and call a name. This person would have to collect the ball while everyone else ran away as fast as they could. Once the person picked up the ball, everyone would stop and the person with the ball would have to hit someone else.

Apparently schools are cracking down on tag and ball related games. My cousin who is in kinder (prep) in NSW isn't allowed to run around in the playground because it can cause injuries and could be considered a lack of 'duty of care'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was cutthroat s**t, thats for sure. It didnt help I was almost 6ft and lanky, going up against some guys 5"5' and pretty much able to scrape the ground with their fingers. Still won my fair share of lunches though.
Hehe. Us short campaigners really do enjoy running rings around you tall flogs, especially going through your legs. It's fun making you look silly.

What's this meant to mean?
*sigh* *urgh* *geez*

'Into' as in 'interference' was a common term used in games of downball/four square. Used when another ball came on to the court, used when there were other distractions, used when competitors couldn't agree on 'liners' or not, and used for any reason that may have compromised the equity of the game. For example, if the Baghdad crowd throw sand in the face of a Wolves' player lining up for goal, and they subsequently miss, they would have the right to call 'into' and have the kick again.

*How to relate off-topic, inane crap to the awesomeness of the Sweet FA.

*sigh* *urgh* *geez*

'Into' as in 'interference' was a common term used in games of downball/four square. Used when another ball came on to the court, used when there were other distractions, used when competitors couldn't agree on 'liners' or not, and used for any reason that may have compromised the equity of the game. For example, if the Baghdad crowd throw sand in the face of a Wolves' player lining up for goal, and they subsequently miss, they would have the right to call 'into' and have the kick again.

*How to relate off-topic, inane crap to the awesomeness of the Sweet FA.
That was caller 'inter' in my day, short for interference.

And liners where always count as play on, because it would mean less debating on the decision.

That was caller 'inter' in my day, short for interference.

And liners where always count as play on, because it would mean less debating on the decision.
Into was where I was and Im going with it being into because its Aussie slang (just add an o to it)

Inter will be allowed as well for those who speak "proper" English :p

Last edited:
I googled it, so it's basically ball tiggy with a little bit of soccer involved. I remember a variation where someone would throw the ball up in the air and call a name. This person would have to collect the ball while everyone else ran away as fast as they could. Once the person picked up the ball, everyone would stop and the person with the ball would have to hit someone else.

Apparently schools are cracking down on tag and ball related games. My cousin who is in kinder (prep) in NSW isn't allowed to run around in the playground because it can cause injuries and could be considered a lack of 'duty of care'.
yeah, pretty close.
i finished primary school in WA in 1979, so it could have been a different variation.
we'd stand in a circle & someone would bounce the ball in the middle.
whoever it hit was it & could run & throw at anybody.
you could block with knuckles or feet.
once there was somebody "nailed" by the"it" person, they also became it & they couldn't run with the ball (tennis ball)
etc.
so each person tagged added to the "it" group until it was all onto one.
a kid called Carl was the best by far, so whenever I was the first one it I'd go for him & not kids like chubby Geoffrey.
I live in Vic now & still smile when I hear the terms "kinder" & "prep" instead of "kindy" & "pre-primary",
but the craziest thing over here are all of the TLA's (3 letter acronyms) :mad:

Up in Maitland for a friend's wedding, and suddenly I realise what sort of environment the Bandits live in.
You almost have to feel sorry for them... Almost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back