Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for anyone concerned about the Little Wessy Under 9 player that got airlifted after the game from Monbulk to the Royal Childrens last Sunday. He is coming along pretty well and should be out of hospital by the end of the week.

Good to hear the young fella from Wesburn is going well. Read about it in the local rag, must be very upsetting for all involved.

Numbers aren't really my go and it looks as though the research assistant (Ronison) has gone AWOL, so this is what I believe can happen on the weekend for finals spots. A couple of scenarios are realistic, a couple are very unlikely and one has virtually no chance, but I guess all bases have to be covered.

Mt. Evelyn & Olinda win. Mt. Evelyn & Olinda in, Upwey out.

Mt. Evelyn & Upwey win. Mt. Evelyn & Upwey in, Olinda out.

Woori & Olinda win. Olinda & Upwey in, Mt. Evelyn out.

Woori & Upwey win (my tip). Upwey in and if Mt. Evelyn lose by no more than 4 or 5 goals than Olinda do Mt. Evelyn will stay in.

Woori & Mt. Evelyn tie. Upwey in and Mt. Evelyn in if Olinda lose.

Olinda & Upwey tie. Upwey in and Olinda in if Mt. Evelyn lose.

Mt. Evelyn, Olinda & Healesville win. Upwey, Mt. Evelyn & Olinda will play finals and Monbulk will drop out, but Monbulk need to lose by 100 points or more for this to happen.

Looks as though the weather will be fine this Saturday, so I might head up to Olinda. Get to check out Olinda's new rooms plus get to see 2 teams play a cut throat game to qualify for a cut throat game. One thing is certain though, the phones will be working overtime for score updates!

Woori & Upwey win (my tip). Upwey in and if Mt. Evelyn lose by no more than 4 or 5 goals than Olinda do Mt. Evelyn will stay in.
nice work LK.....

So now thats settled...who will win this week, i reckon Mt Evelyn and Woori, with Wandin having the rest.

Simon Gordon was in magnificent form for Yarra Glen until he was injured late in the third quarter. Did anyone else see the incident? Not very pretty. None of the umpires saw anything, as they were quite naturally looking at the ball which was 30 metres away. Is he going to be right for this week's game?

Simon Gordon was in magnificent form for Yarra Glen until he was injured late in the third quarter. Did anyone else see the incident? Not very pretty. None of the umpires saw anything, as they were quite naturally looking at the ball which was 30 metres away. Is he going to be right for this week's game?
Was there and didn't see it either. Those that did see it said it looked shocking, he didn't return for the game. He will be crucial for them this week though.

Not being there for the game. What was the incident? Hit behind play? Ugly injury?

Hit behind the play. Gordon was stationary and was about to lead for the ball. An opponent (not his direct opponent) ran up from behind and appeared to deliberately hit him in the head. Gordon went down and was taken off the ground and didn't return. A few spectators saw it happen and advised the umpires of the number of the culprit, but none of the umpires had seen anything. The strange thing was the none of the Yarra Glen players reacted to the incident at all. A bloke who did something like that, say, fifteen years ago would have been set upon by several opponents. Remember what they did to Leigh Matthews after the Neville Bruns thing? On the other hand, I suppose no-one wants to get reported in a final. And Ken Taylor was lurking around, ready to report. But it looks like flying the flag is a thing of the past.

Hit behind the play. Gordon was stationary and was about to lead for the ball. An opponent (not his direct opponent) ran up from behind and appeared to deliberately hit him in the head. Gordon went down and was taken off the ground and didn't return. A few spectators saw it happen and advised the umpires of the number of the culprit, but none of the umpires had seen anything. The strange thing was the none of the Yarra Glen players reacted to the incident at all. A bloke who did something like that, say, fifteen years ago would have been set upon by several opponents. Remember what they did to Leigh Matthews after the Neville Bruns thing? On the other hand, I suppose no-one wants to get reported in a final. And Ken Taylor was lurking around, ready to report. But it looks like flying the flag is a thing of the past.
The hit was well off the ball and no Yarra Glen players saw what happened. Probably a good thing as I'm sure there are a few of the Yarra boys who would have reacted. It is really sad that a Powelly player would do such a cowardly thing, very lucky that no umpire saw it.

Who are your tips for this weekend's YVMDFL finals?

Check out our comprehensive guide to all the weekend's action here: http://bit.ly/1nGWCTW

Plus, give our new Facebook page a like for more at www.facebook.com/leaderlocalfooty

Can't see Monbulk or Mt. Evelyn going to deep into September, so that leaves Upwey and Woori to fight it out for a spot in the big dance against Wandin. Both Tigers are experienced campaigners, but I'm going with Upwey. Will be interesting to see how Wandin handle the pressure and expectations as raging favourites. For Wandin it will definitely be that the majority of the game is played above the shoulders.

Woori has won its last six finals games and will set a first division record of seven in a row if it wins tomorrow. I am tipping them to win narrowly. The other game is a toss up, but I'll stick with Monbulk. In second division, Thornton to upset Powelltown and Yarra Glen to win the second semi.

Woori has won its last six finals games and will set a first division record of seven in a row if it wins tomorrow. I am tipping them to win narrowly. The other game is a toss up, but I'll stick with Monbulk. In second division, Thornton to upset Powelltown and Yarra Glen to win the second semi.

Ill go with Woori and Mt Ev in Div 1.

Yarra Glen (Close) and Thornton Eildon in Div 2.

If Thornton do win does that mean they play either Yarra Glen or Seville at Thornton next week in the prelim? Will the league change the venue?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In light of what has happened to the Buchan football I would be very nervous if I was playing for a certain club this week. I know for a fact that a player has been put on the reserves team sheet twice mid year to qualify and didn't take the field or even suit up for the start of one of those game. Yes some clubs do video their ressie games.

In light of what has happened to the Buchan football I would be very nervous if I was playing for a certain club this week. I know for a fact that a player has been put on the reserves team sheet twice mid year to qualify and didn't take the field or even suit up for the start of one of those game. Yes some clubs do video their ressie games.

More detail...put up

Yarra Glen v Thornton in the ones
Yarra Glen v Alexandra in the twos
Wandin v Yea in the 18's

Which club are you alleging that's cheating? I'm intregued!

Mmmm in light of what your saying
Seems that mt Evelyn had D.kift play yesterday and last week against monbulk
He has played 4 games to date (2 being finals) and 1 in the under 18s and 0 reserves games
Surely a mistake if not what happends now probly nothing

Mmmm in light of what your saying
Seems that mt Evelyn had D.kift play yesterday and last week against monbulk
He has played 4 games to date (2 being finals) and 1 in the under 18s and 0 reserves games
Surely a mistake if not what happends now probly nothing
He played for Eastern Ranges which count as Senior VCFL Games for Finals Qualification

This weekends Prelim Final between Wandin and Mt.Ev is enormous. There's something irresistible about the Rovers, a very cohesive unit who are sacrificing for each other at the right time of the year. Also know Mt.Ev were praying for a crack at Wandin in this finals series, no love whatsoever ! Last man standing stuff coming up Sunday. And as for Woori, nothing but admiration !!

Well done Ryno coach of the year three years running.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back