Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt about Aker, he is the human headline, never a dull moment when he's involved, at least it's not another headline about Albury or Yarra.
Yes it's great how the media beat things up. It's bloody disgraceful I was standing in the ground after the game that day, get over it Brad Murray. And as far as reporting throughout social media that 4 3rds players reported...what about the 2 from Myrtleford for striking? Fair dinkum and a few officials from Myrtleford where erging there players to fight I was right there I heard them. And they come out saying there had fears and wanted to call the game off, get a grip it was hardly a scuffle. Please media pick another club to bash unfairly it's becoming a joke.

Yes it's great how the media beat things up. It's bloody disgraceful I was standing in the ground after the game that day, get over it Brad Murray. And as far as reporting throughout social media that 4 3rds players reported...what about the 2 from Myrtleford for striking? Fair dinkum and a few officials from Myrtleford where erging there players to fight I was right there I heard them. And they come out saying there had fears and wanted to call the game off, get a grip it was hardly a scuffle. Please media pick another club to bash unfairly it's becoming a joke.
Yeah Frank,,, all to familiar,, kick you when your down syndrome,, poor media behaviour!!!

I actually think we've had a great run with the media this season, a turbulent start early with all the crap about money, but had some great support for most of the season once the games started. It does help when they are playing some really good footy with the inexperienced make-up of the team, but making lots of headlines and the majority are good headlines, sure last week wasn't great with the kids, the 2 players from Myrtleford were mentioned in the story, and I'm sure we'll here a bit more in the days to come.

One thing I did notice last week, was the size of the crowd given that it was the travelling Saints on a pretty shitty day weather wise, pretty impressed and down the road at the sportsground, bugger all. Maybe a slightly lower standard but more competition match is starting to be a more attractive proposition for the punters. Just Saying!!!!

I actually think we've had a great run with the media this season, a turbulent start early with all the crap about money, but had some great support for most of the season once the games started. It does help when they are playing some really good footy with the inexperienced make-up of the team, but making lots of headlines and the majority are good headlines, sure last week wasn't great with the kids, the 2 players from Myrtleford were mentioned in the story, and I'm sure we'll here a bit more in the days to come.

One thing I did notice last week, was the size of the crowd given that it was the travelling Saints on a pretty shitty day weather wise, pretty impressed and down the road at the sportsground, bugger all. Maybe a slightly lower standard but more competition match is starting to be a more attractive proposition for the punters. Just Saying!!!!
You're spot on there. I saw a couple of long-time Albury supporters down at the Corowa/North match and I asked them what they were doing there. They said that the Tigers game would be too one-sided, they would rather pay to see a close contest. Very interesting.

You're spot on there. I saw a couple of long-time Albury supporters down at the Corowa/North match and I asked them what they were doing there. They said that the Tigers game would be too one-sided, they would rather pay to see a close contest. Very interesting.
They may want to go to Corowa tomorrow as well

They may want to go to Corowa tomorrow as well
Good call. Poor quality game but at least close. Wang competitive but very undermanned. Corowa fittest team in omfnl but took peddle off metal after half time. Maybe thought had it won. Idiot corowa forward reported and sent off. Could have cost game.
Be interesting wang v Yarra next sat.

Good call. Poor quality game but at least close. Wang competitive but very undermanned. Corowa fittest team in omfnl but took peddle off metal after half time. Maybe thought had it won. Idiot corowa forward reported and sent off. Could have cost game.
Be interesting wang v Yarra next sat.
Yarra are done what happened today would have happened in Round 1 but for the terrible injury.Held on one year too long they must play the young blokes now and see what they have got and they must let the kids play not just use them as taggers.
All good things come too a end and the pigeons have had a great ride Tigers have gone to another level again they are incredible.
The well is well and truly empty time for some big changes at J C Lowe starting from the very top

Seems that way doesnt it meat inspector.
Fevola is no longer in the top 3 forwards IMO.
Sentana, limbach and kosi all above fevola and prior would not be to far from leap frogging him either.
Cant see them causing any head aches come finals time given there current form.
They look tired and slow and almost un interested.
The side is a shadow of its former self.

Yarra are done what happened today would have happened in Round 1 but for the terrible injury.Held on one year too long they must play the young blokes now and see what they have got and they must let the kids play not just use them as taggers.
All good things come too a end and the pigeons have had a great ride Tigers have gone to another level again they are incredible.
The well is well and truly empty time for some big changes at J C Lowe starting from the very top[/QUESTING

Interesting, coach Kennedy has announced this will be his last season as coach,,,, is there a message here??
When one looks at their playing list over the past 5 seasons, it is an ageing list , with not a hell of a lot of youngsters advancing to regular senior level.
Whereas Albury, have many mature aged players in their prime, heaps of youngsters developing into good regular senior players, and heaps of youngsters still developing at both reserve grade and thirds levels.. All of these grades are on top or second on the ladder...giving a continuous feed of talent and depth.Not to mention the astute recruiting,,,eg Ohara and the Irish brothers this year.
Albury are on tract to become the most dominant club in O&M history over a specific period, eg the dominance of the great Wang Rovers sides of the late 1970s and 1980s.

I still certainly wouldnt be writing the pigeons off just yet, Remember guys premierships aren't handed out in june, a couple of injuries changes everything...

At the moment Albury are playing at the peak of their powers, can they maintain this form up until then??

Yarra still have too many top players to be written off this far out...

Lavington would have to be happy to be winning and winning well with all their injuries at the moment, do we have any updates on Aalbers and Pender?? ,

The well is well and truly empty time for some big changes at J C Lowe starting from the very top
Reckon your being a bit harsh. Albury totally dominated for 20 minutes and after that Yarra were competetive. I think it's more a case of the Tigers improving rather than Yarra falling away. The Albury on ball brigade is most probably one of the best ever seen in country footy and I thought Yarras' decision to use Luke Ednie(as an example) tagging Hyde, Polo and O'Hara at different stages a great move. Kids can learn so much from playing on the best. The Tigers are definite flag favourites but both Yarra and Lavi are well in the mix!!

Reckon your being a bit harsh. Albury totally dominated for 20 minutes and after that Yarra were competetive. I think it's more a case of the Tigers improving rather than Yarra falling away. The Albury on ball brigade is most probably one of the best ever seen in country footy and I thought Yarras' decision to use Luke Ednie(as an example) tagging Hyde, Polo and O'Hara at different stages a great move. Kids can learn so much from playing on the best. The Tigers are definite flag favourites but both Yarra and Lavi are well in the mix!!

Good post. Albury took in tons of confidence and dominated early accordingly. Then Yarra settled and the game was fairly even. I know stats can tell different stories but it was 20 scoring shots to 19 after quarter time. What if Alburys only bad game of the year happens to be Grand Final Day? What if Yarrawonga's midfield find their mojo again? What if Fev just got the wake-up call he needed and pulls his finger out? Yarra also got a good look at what's working for Albury and will have better plans in place next time. I've got a feeling that Yarra will soon wake from their slumber and could just cause a massive boil over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post. Albury took in tons of confidence and dominated early accordingly. Then Yarra settled and the game was fairly even. I know stats can tell different stories but it was 20 scoring shots to 19 after quarter time. What if Alburys only bad game of the year happens to be Grand Final Day? What if Yarrawonga's midfield find their mojo again? What if Fev just got the wake-up call he needed and pulls his finger out? Yarra also got a good look at what's working for Albury and will have better plans in place next time. I've got a feeling that Yarra will soon wake from their slumber and could just cause a massive boil over.
is it true yarra are struggling to field a 2's side. If this is the case surely that would be damaging for their depth.

I hope you are right in your assumptions but there is one thing Yarra can't get out their aging midfield and that is PACE sorely exposed by Hoppers Panthers and even Raiders and when the heat was on early pace is what killed them.Also pigeons lost 3 very impotent players in Thomson,Lawless and Dywer who i rate in the top 3 players at Yarrawonga and they haven't been replaced for reasons known to the club,
Seconds have about 10 out for various reasons so not helping the cause

is it true yarra are struggling to field a 2's side. If this is the case surely that would be damaging for their depth.

Not sure about Yarra, but I can tell you that Albury are struggling for numbers in the 2s. I know that sounds strange given that they are sitting on top of the ladder, but all it means is that should the senior side cop a couple of injuries, the quality may not be there in the 2s, i've seen a lot of champion reserves teams that were exactly that, they couldn't make the jump to senior footy. And nothing against Ken Howe, been a champ in the past, but seriously!!!

Not sure about Yarra, but I can tell you that Albury are struggling for numbers in the 2s. I know that sounds strange given that they are sitting on top of the ladder, but all it means is that should the senior side cop a couple of injuries, the quality may not be there in the 2s, i've seen a lot of champion reserves teams that were exactly that, they couldn't make the jump to senior footy. And nothing against Ken Howe, been a champ in the past, but seriously!!!

Ken Howe..... don't know the facts here about him playing, but if they were short on numbers, ok, he put his hand up to play and was named in the best 5 players.... not a bad effort considering he is proberly in his mid 40s and playing his first game in years.... must keep himself fairly fit. Not to mention the opposition was a team in 4th spot on the ladder,( not a team that is 9th or 10th)....
Give the guy some credit,as it just goes to show the commitment from the people involved in the Albury football club.Yet another facet of their success over the past 5 seasons. All basis covered in the operation of this club I say, hence the success .
Like most other clubs at this stage of the season, Albury have 3 or 4 regular seniors on the sideline with injury that will return to the paddock over the next few weeks. For example, Gaynor returned this week in the ressies and was named as one of the best players. Don't worry, the depth is there for sure.

Ken Howe..... don't know the facts here about him playing, but if they were short on numbers, ok, he put his hand up to play and was named in the best 5 players.... not a bad effort considering he is proberly in his mid 40s and playing his first game in years.... must keep himself fairly fit. Not to mention the opposition was a team in 4th spot on the ladder,( not a team that is 9th or 10th)....
Give the guy some credit.

Make no mistake, this was not a poke at Kenny Howe, his record as a footballer speaks for itself and needs no defending, as I DID state in my post he has been a champion of the game. He did play a game in the 2s for the Hoppers I think last season, as they were also struggling for big guys. It was more an observation, given that both 2nds and thirds sit atop of the respective ladders it seemed strange that you'd bring him in. Maybe not a shortage of players as such, but a lack of big men in the lower grades.

Any Yarra supporters out there that can fill me in on Matty Gorman... I know he has had injury issues this season, but notice he has been one of the best players in the ressies the past 2 games... yet no elevation to the seniors yet!!

I noticed McKee is back for Yarra. Has been playing two's what's the go there? Fev is getting cranky like his last year at Carlton hopefully something snaps and he brings it home. He's getting the ball but not kicking goals. So what there's plenty of other guys out there not doing there job. Albury have done well but I've heard some newbies aren't taking it as serious and have been told to tow the line.

fev must of got his mind back on the job and that is being a gun player for Yarra and stop thinking of his coaching ambitions. Snagged 11 today........Yarra need him so much to be on his game.

I noticed McKee is back for Yarra. Has been playing two's what's the go there? Fev is getting cranky like his last year at Carlton hopefully something snaps and he brings it home. He's getting the ball but not kicking goals. So what there's plenty of other guys out there not doing there job. Albury have done well but I've heard some newbies aren't taking it as serious and have been told to tow the line.

Yes, have heard the same about these newbies at Albury, .... no doubt the heirachy have put them in their place, especially with the legend ex player and coach Paul Spargo still having his influence at the club.

great finish by the hoppers yesterday, especially with the significance of the day. if i can plead with anyone down at north about one thing from yesterday
Please wear those jumpers all the time, absolutely sensational and more north albury than anything in recent times

Interesting post in the SANFL forum. The salary cap there is $350,00 including coaches for a season. OandM lets say $300,000 or $250,000 to save our game and volunteers?! Have it policed by the executive just like the AFL. Interested in others ideas about this because there are clubs all over the district in financial strife and it is turning people away from the game.

Interesting post in the SANFL forum. The salary cap there is $350,00 including coaches for a season. OandM lets say $300,000 or $250,000 to save our game and volunteers?! Have it policed by the executive just like the AFL. Interested in others ideas about this because there are clubs all over the district in financial strife and it is turning people away from the game.
Your idea BS is a great idea but there is no way it can be policed adequately, Albury has jobs that dictate salaries in footy and who knows how the pigeons operate from what i know only 1 bloke knows whats going on down there and its not healthy
Money is hidden all over The shop in all leagues really a strong Points system maybe the only way to salvage the integrity of the O/M.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back