Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

It's sad that we have to pay reserves players these days. Think of the work that goes into raising the money that goes to the players and then think about who is doing all the hard yards- volunteers and committee who all pay their memberships and spend money at the bar and canteen. Yet players even in the seconds expect that they shouldnt have to pay a membership. The sooner we have a cap or points system the sooner clubs will have to start being more responsible with their money. What has been the cost for yarra to compete and make the last 6 grand finals? 200-250 per season?!? Let's round it down to $1,000,000 over the last 6 years... Imagine what they could have done to their club rooms if they had invested half of that or even 25% of that into the changerooms spectator area. If half of the whispers are true they won't be spending much next year as they don't have the $ to cover this season. I hope thats not the case at it would be a shame to see them fall off like nth albury, wodonga, raiders, myrtle ford etc have over the last decade after their big spending years.
Yarrawonga have no money and haven't had any for the past three years just don't pay

I totally agree you need to have plans and structures in place to build a strong club. Albury are know doubt a hard working club that do things the right way but they wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for a certain man. Success breds success it all flows from there every body want to be there. they are throwing dead set ridicules coin at guys unproven at the level and paying overs just to get them. They are ruthless in the way they recruit because they have the resources to be ruthless. You don't think there are 9 other committees that work just as hard?there is having good backing and then there's just greed. It's getting out of control. They have brought themselves to were they are and if you can't see that your blind. They have a lot of support other than Joss I realize that but he gave them the shot in the arm they needed and now they are not going to be stopped. Honestly what do you reakon that firsts side would be worth on pure match payments? You reakon the great sides of the past spend like Albur have this year?Highly unlikely.

Frank,
your right,,,, don't disagree . Fact is, they have succeded with their business plan and the desire is still there to be the dominant force in the comp. Hence, they are aggressive and ruthless in getting the recruits they require to fill the vacant spot after player departures or retirements .
Their ressies and under 18s continue to be up there , where player movement/losses are surprisingly minimal as well...... that alone, proves success breeds success,, players wanting to be part of a winning club !!!
As I said before, Iam not a Tiger supporter, but I commend what they have achieved.

I am thoroughly enjoying the passionate debate and varying points of view being put forth on this thread. All I want to contribute is to remind everyone that semi-professional as it is, O&M football is made up of community organisations run by volunteers. With that in mind, clubs from the smaller communities are at a distinct disadvantage - they have fewer financial and personnel resources at their disposal. I feel that some controls should be put in place to limit this disadvantage or the O&M seriously risk losing the likes of Myrtleford and Corowa from the comp in the not too distant future.

This doesn't explain the standard of footy coming out of the 2 Wodonga clubs… perhaps they're having to spend a few years at the bottom so that they may save their resources to have a proper crack at it next decade.

What has been the cost for yarra to compete and make the last 6 grand finals? 200-250 per season?!? Let's round it down to $1,000,000 over the last 6 years... Imagine what they could have done to their club rooms if they had invested half of that or even 25% of that into the changerooms spectator area.

They have spent some $$ on facilities in recent years... New netball courts, corporate box, second bar upstairs, enclosed can bar, seating on the far side of the ground. Why would they spend anymore on facilities that don't need upgrading and are equal to most other clubs, apart from Lavi and Wang.

If they had of spent 25% as you suggest they would have some of the best facilities in the comp, but would be 2 senior premierships lighter.

Well its nice to see I got one opinion correct. Fev to co coach with Barnes.
Me too! Happy to be wrong on this one. Although I reckon he was gone for all money until they realised they need to keep him or drop Off the pace. Fev as co coach should ensure they are never lacking for publicity anyway!

It would have been a easy decision for Yarra. He is very footy smart but with Barnes helping they should be able to match Albury next season.
Wodonga on the other hand could be in for more pain. Harding yes can coach but what contats does he have. Or how much money do they have to spend.
Anyone game to touch the Aker story. Yes we need umpires and abuse shouldn't be tolerated . Maybe he should have been sent to little league for a month and umpired there? But by reading the Border and what he said is probably said 100 times by the crowd. Yes he is the coach and should know better. North knew about and didn't do much about it. Well enough on that .
Raiders will slowly build and a new game play is always hard to adjust to. Let's hope it ain't the awesome press Lavi use !!!!
On Lavi what does it take for them to go up a level and not fail at the final hurdle?

I wonder with Fev coaching whether that means he will lift his efforts and body language on the occasions when he's struggled with those areas. This could be a huge plus for Yarra.

It would have been a easy decision for Yarra. He is very footy smart but with Barnes helping they should be able to match Albury next season.
Wodonga on the other hand could be in for more pain. Harding yes can coach but what contats does he have. Or how much money do they have to spend.
Anyone game to touch the Aker story. Yes we need umpires and abuse shouldn't be tolerated . Maybe he should have been sent to little league for a month and umpired there? But by reading the Border and what he said is probably said 100 times by the crowd. Yes he is the coach and should know better. North knew about and didn't do much about it. Well enough on that .
Raiders will slowly build and a new game play is always hard to adjust to. Let's hope it ain't the awesome press Lavi use !!!!
On Lavi what does it take for them to go up a level and not fail at the final hurdle?

On Lavington Matt Pendergast has won a fifth best and fairest edging out adam flagg , tom hargreave and brant dickson...

I think the Panthers need to find another quality midfielder and perhaps a ruckman, if they keep their losses to a minimum. .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your comment on the Raiders,,, there will be no Lavi type press game with Cresswell coaching .At Palm Beach he used different game plans depended on the side they were playing,.As A rule of thumb, he concentrated on all areas on game day, and applied the theory of kicking goals wins games.He is a tactician and not afraid to move players around during a game.

Your comment on the Raiders,,, there will be no Lavi type press game with Cresswell coaching .At Palm Beach he used different game plans depended on the side they were playing,.As A rule of thumb, he concentrated on all areas on game day, and applied the theory of kicking goals wins games.He is a tactician and not afraid to move players around during a game.
Just need the players!! Will be interesting if Fev can land any ex Blues at the Grove Oval!

Good to see in the Paper that the raiders have signed a couple of players...

I hear Jay Banks may be leaving the area, which would be big blow for the panthers...

Any other early rumblings??

Good to see in the Paper that the raiders have signed a couple of players...

I hear Jay Banks may be leaving the area, which would be big blow for the panthers...

Any other early rumblings??
Raiders made a big noise every time they signed someone last season too. It remains to be seen whether they can actually play footy or just write their name.

With offers to Maksymow before June 30 this year followed by recent offers to Ben Murphy from Raiders it's getting beyond a joke. Murphy is a good young player, but he would end up playing 2-5 games in their seniors to cover a few injuries, but then go on and help their reserves team which won this years flag by 158 points to win it again.

Perhaps supporters of opposition clubs should make a stand in 2015 and simply not go and watch their team when they play at the Albury Sportsground. Or for those who simply can't stay away, have a good feed before heading to the footy and pack your own drinks and nibbles for the day so you don't have to spend a cent while you're there.

I think my idea from last year needs exploring again. I will not be seen at the sportsground this year when the panthers play. I'll take my gate and canteen money to a district league or perhaps go and watch the Albury Thunder play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back