Autopsy Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

This is just another example of people watching a 5 minute burst rather than a 80 minute trend.

Port jumped Hawthorn and should have put more score board pressure on (but didn't).

From that point on Hawthorn completely took over the contest and were set for an 8 goal blow out until Monfries got a VERY suspect free-kick 17 minutes into the last quarter. Up until that point Port hadn't looked like scoring a goal. Hawthorn were on top structurally in every facet of the game and had, to all intents and purposes, shut up shop for the next game.

Then Port went for broke with their exhilarating attacking never say die, throw caution to the wind approach. And it ALMOST got them over the line. But that game was won in the preceding 75 minutes of football where Hawthorn took the game away from Port - even though Port had smashed us in the first quarter.

Port were brilliant and start favourites in 2015 for mine but the reality is Hawthorn were set for a 8 goal cruise in that Prelim. Which says as much about Hawthorn, and Port's fighting qualities - as Freo's capitulation the week before.

You were as sucked in as the media, Bigfooty and Sydney Football CLub by the margin. You didn't see the trend.
This. So much this.

Port got momentum late, but up until that point Hawthorn looked to be rolling to the final siren.

And that 'free' to Monfries was excruciatingly bad. Gibson did well not to completely lose his s**t and give away a 50m penalty. As a former full back, I would've.

This. So much this.

Port got momentum late, but up until that point Hawthorn looked to be rolling to the final siren.

And that 'free' to Monfries was excruciatingly bad. Gibson did well not to completely lose his s**t and give away a 50m penalty. As a former full back, I would've.

When you're only 5 metres out I think you're actually obliged to give the 50 away Firrito style.

This. So much this.

Its funny no one chooses to talk about that joke Free kick against Gibson when we were in total command of the match isn't it?

Hawks as the biggest winners....The Hawks play some of the best footy the world has seen in recent years. It was Buddy's flag to win as it was his Brownlow to win. Above all else, It will be written in history as just another chapter in the off field - court - drug bs

Absolute myth that Richmond were 'amazing' in the 2nd half of the year. They simply had a soft draw

Another myth is that Sydney were the biggest loser of the season. Recruiting Franklin took them to the gf, which is an amazing effort with their list and only 1 recognised ruckman. They wouldve finished 8th - 6th without Buddy so a big tick this year for the swans.

• Who were the biggest winners and losers? Hawthorn. Sydney.
  • Who amazed and disappointed? Port Adelaide. -Gold Coast. Richmond also disappointed.
  • What was the biggest single fail of the year? Essendon in court.
  • What was the biggest single win of the year? Saints V Freo

So guys with the season now officially over for 2014, how did you rate it?

• Who were the biggest winners and losers?
  • Who amazed and disappointed?
  • What was the biggest single fail of the year?
  • What was the biggest single win of the year?

You get my drift.

kindly refrain from trolling

we'll let this thread run for a bit and see what happens.

PLAYER:
Winner- Hodge: Norm Smith, Premiership captain...Champion (as if he wasn't already!?)
Loser- Patton, Rich, Otten, Macaffer, Menzel, AJ, Whitecross and any other players that did their knee and missed the season and/or will miss significant parts of next season (sadly Rich and Macaffer aside all those players have done a knee in the past..)
Amazed- Buddy: All the expectation on the Bud, he delivered (even in a losing Grand Final when most of his teammates didn't...)
Disappointed- Frawley: The way he went about his decision to leave and his football in general in 2015 left a lot to be desired.
Single Fail- David Mundy: Played a terrific game against the Cats in round 20 but missed the set shot against bitter modern rivals Geelong at the Cattery to win the game after the bell (special mention to Daisy's set shot and Clinton Young and Jake Stringer's dropped marks)
Single Win- The Chad and The Bont: Chad took the hanger of the year, and even though Matt White won the official goal of the year, I have to give it to Bontempelli for his freakish late goal that sealed the win against the Dees.

CLUB:
Winner- Hawthorn: Buddy left but they were still emphatic premiers.
Loser- Essendon: Performed admirably on field, but continued to fight ASADA in the media and the courtroom and now appear in serious turmoil.
Amazed- Port: Not only were a kick away from the big dance, but played the most eye-catching brand of football in front of a packed house at "the Portress" every other week (the tarps covering the seats at Footy Park are a distant memory). Mark and Goal of the Year pretty much summed up how the Power go about it. Convincing Ryder to join in the trade period could be the missing link to a Premiership in 2015.
Disappointed- West Coast: The only team not to beat a top 8 side, I expected more from the Eagles this year (special mentions to Adelaide who were incredibly inconsistent and for mine have too much top end talent on their list to be missing the 8; and Collingwood who fell in a hole, in no small part due to injuries, to miss the 8 after a promising first half to the year)
Single Fail- Swans Grand Final: Minor premiers and favourites in the lead up, simply didn't deliver on the biggest stage of all.
Single Win- Outside of the Hawks Grand Final (which I've already paid homage to) I'd have to give it to the Giants and Saints for their miraculous upets over Sydney (bitter cross town rivals) and Freo (who stole Ross Lyon behind their backs) respectively.

This. So much this.

But gee whiz, what a memorable game.

A hawks mate booked his plane tickets to the G with 10 minutes to go. You should have seen his face when Moore was lining up.

• Who were the biggest winners and losers? Hawthorn. Sydney.
  • Who amazed and disappointed? Port Adelaide. -Gold Coast. Richmond also disappointed.
  • What was the biggest single fail of the year? Essendon in court.
  • What was the biggest single win of the year? Saints V Freo

Hear hear

Who were the biggest winners and losers?
Winners:
Hawthorn, ASADA, Ken Hinkley, Adelaide Oval, Tom Boyd, Matthew Priddis, Gillon McLachlan
Loser: Essendon, Essendon supporters, Essendon and former Essendon players, AFL supporters, St Kilda, Guy McKenna, Brendan Sanderson, Gary Ablett's shoulders, Nathan Buckley

Who amazed and disappointed?
Amazed:
Matthew Priddis (brownlow medallist?? Seriously??), Ollie Wines and Chad Wingard in the finals
Disappointed: Collingwood (but not me personally... you get that right?), Gold Coast, Jeremy Cameron, Paul Roos the great and powerful

What was the biggest single fail of the year?
Essendon's "sacking" of James Hird.

What was the biggest single win of the year?
Hawthorn winning the Premiership. Can't and shouldn't be anything else.

Absolute myth that Richmond were 'amazing' in the 2nd half of the year. They simply had a soft draw

Are you serious!? Richmond played virtual elimination finals almost every week leading up to a game against the ladder leaders we were given almost no chance of winning. Give us a break. Truth be told we should never of put ourselves in such a desperate position that we had to win every game leading up to the finals but credit where credits due it was an incredible effort.

In the end we played our finals series against West Coast, Adelaide and Sydney in those last few weeks which cost us but the challenge of getting there shouldn't be ignored just because of the way we exited the finals. After all in the end everyone's season came to nought other than your mob.

Winners:
Hawthorn, ASADA, Ken Hinkley, Adelaide Oval, Tom Boyd, Matthew Priddis, Gillon McLachlan
Loser: Essendon, Essendon supporters, Essendon and former Essendon players, AFL supporters, St Kilda, Guy McKenna, Brendan Sanderson, Gary Ablett's shoulders, Nathan Buckley

Amazed:
Matthew Priddis (brownlow medallist?? Seriously??), Ollie Wines and Chad Wingard in the finals
Disappointed: Collingwood (but not me personally... you get that right?), Gold Coast, Jeremy Cameron, Paul Roos the great and powerful

Essendon's "sacking" of James Hird.

Hawthorn winning the Premiership. Can't and shouldn't be anything else.
not going to add Carlton on that loser list.
on field Essendon has far better cattle a long list of young talls forward and back & a decent mid field coming through. but even with all of the turmoil, off the field the club and playing group is holding together

Carlton they playing list is crap, they are convinced they can win a flag. they need a rebuild. Malthouse is almost ready for a nursing home & off field the club is and has been a financial basket case for a decade, is staying alive by the pratt & Mathieson familys & their crowds are not turning up & members aren't signing up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not going to add Carlton on that loser list.
on field Essendon has far better cattle a long list of young talls forward and back & a decent mid field coming through. but even with all of the turmoil, off the field the club and playing group is holding together

Carlton they playing list is crap, they are convinced they can win a flag. they need a rebuild. Malthouse is almost ready for a nursing home & off field the club is and has been a financial basket case for a decade, is staying alive by the pratt & Mathieson familys & their crowds are not turning up & members aren't signing up
Not that I need further proof that I was right but thanks for providing further confirmation.

Winners:
Biggest winner was Hawthorn and the ending would of been sweet for Hawk fans considering Buddy's dash for cash to Sydney
Priddis Brownlow. To the anti-Priddis brigade on our team board, shove that up your pipe :p
Geelong. Every year the experts tip them to slide and to finish 3rd by percentage is a very good effort

Losers:
Free Agency afflicted teams. Brisbane exodus was disgraceful
St Kilda, nuff said

Nat Fyfe for both amazed and disappointed.

Sydney when it mattered

Gold Coast beating Collingwood after Ablett went down.

Winners:
Hawthorn, ASADA, Ken Hinkley, Adelaide Oval atmosphere, Port
Loser: Essendon, St Kilda, Nathan Buckley

Amazed:
Ollie Wines, Ben Cunnington, Brad Hill (seriously how good is he), Gunston (likewise)
Disappointed: Melbourne, Kieren Harper, St Kilda and Fremantle

Essendon's second half against North in the finals.

Beating the Cats and making it to a Prelim was beyond my expectations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back