Season 2015 - General Footy Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only decent moment in the St Kilda game was the new t-shirts for the Cheer Squad.

We haven't had a good start to 2015 but the last team I supported was Fitzroy (I have never, ever, supported Brisbane). Having a beer with Scott Clayton and Matt Rendell at the The Lord Jim Hotel in North Fitzroy circa mid 1990's - those were the days. $5 got you a steak and salad and a bloody good steak too! Pity about the neighbours always complaining about the upstairs parties ...

Point is, if you support a club it's both the high and lows. Gary out is bad news but gives the rest of the team the chance to shine in paradise.

The only decent moment in the St Kilda game was the new t-shirts for the Cheer Squad.

We haven't had a good start to 2015 but the last team I supported was Fitzroy (I have never, ever, supported Brisbane). Having a beer with Scott Clayton and Matt Rendell at the The Lord Jim Hotel in North Fitzroy circa mid 1990's - those were the days. $5 got you a steak and salad and a bloody good steak too! Pity about the neighbours always complaining about the upstairs parties ...

Point is, if you support a club it's both the high and lows. Gary out is bad news but gives the rest of the team the chance to shine in paradise.
Would love to hear more of your stories about the old days in Fitzroy.

Another old Fitzroy member here who could not jump to Brisbane even though I moved here just before the 3 flags (still bitter they stole the colours, mascot and team song; will never forgive).

It may seem bad at the moment for those of us following the Suns but I only have to think back to the nearly 15 year period where I had no AFL team to support at all to realise just how good this is. I would rather have both the horrible lows and the jumping in the air highs than the plain average of no team at all. I am still smiling that I have a team to follow, even if the team is hard to watch at the moment.

Rocket said recently that 'talent and potential' are dangerous words for players. So is 'expectation' for a team and its supporters. We have had it a convenient excuse the last 4 years (too young, building for the future), but the future is arriving and expectation is here. And so far it stinks.

Hey, welcome to the AFL it only gets harder from here.

Which of course makes it worthwhile it if you ever get there. Have a look at Sydney after they finally won in 2005, think about what Footscray would be like if they ever make it. Good stuff, can't wait, hurry up and play better you numpties!

Another old Fitzroy member here who could not jump to Brisbane even though I moved here just before the 3 flags (still bitter they stole the colours, mascot and team song; will never forgive).

It may seem bad at the moment for those of us following the Suns but I only have to think back to the nearly 15 year period where I had no AFL team to support at all to realise just how good this is. I would rather have both the horrible lows and the jumping in the air highs than the plain average of no team at all. I am still smiling that I have a team to follow, even if the team is hard to watch at the moment.

Rocket said recently that 'talent and potential' are dangerous words for players. So is 'expectation' for a team and its supporters. We have had it a convenient excuse the last 4 years (too young, building for the future), but the future is arriving and expectation is here. And so far it stinks.

Hey, welcome to the AFL it only gets harder from here.

Which of course makes it worthwhile it if you ever get there. Have a look at Sydney after they finally won in 2005, think about what Footscray would be like if they ever make it. Good stuff, can't wait, hurry up and play better you numpties!
Welcome to Big Footy! Great first post!

I think we all are starting to believe that Rocket is now setting a standard that was not in place under the previous regime, frankly if that means we lose a few players I can accept that.

What I can't accept is the lack of effort we have seen in the last 2 weeks, (I was furious after the Saints result) mainly because like many on this forum I was of the belief that we had taken a slow burn approach to building a successful team. It now looks like the reality has been exposed and we created a culture of entitlement.

I could be way off the mark here as it could turn around quickly but if this entitlement culture is in fact correct this will be a horrible year on the track followed by a horrible post season where players are either moved on or a pushed out.

Having said that it may also be the making of our team.

I'm thinking that a Wayne Bennet style player cull might have to come into effect at the end of this season. Granted, Wayne did his culling in the pre-season, but it doesn't take away from the fact that he knows what he's doing provided he gets things his own way. Rocket is merely inherited the players and coaching staff.

Bennett came back to the Broncos, got rid of numerous players, then brought in his own. Brought in new coaches, new rules, and new management. Broncos only just scraped into finals last year, purely depended on another game's results for them to get through on percentage. Now they're number 1 on the ladder, looking as dominant as ever.

If we're serious about winning a grand final, the club needs to allow Rocket to bring his own coaching staff to the club, and remove players who he deems as not worthy. He's got an entire season to see who's up to scratch.

This season may be tough to watch, but it's just the foundations. The Bluey Era was the blueprint (no pun intended), this year is the laying the foundations, and next year onwards is the construction. Give it a few years, and we'll have a completed skyscraper - towering over the AFL ladder ;)

I'm thinking that a Wayne Bennet style player cull might have to come into effect at the end of this season. Granted, Wayne did his culling in the pre-season, but it doesn't take away from the fact that he knows what he's doing provided he gets things his own way. Rocket is merely inherited the players and coaching staff.

Bennett came back to the Broncos, got rid of numerous players, then brought in his own. Brought in new coaches, new rules, and new management. Broncos only just scraped into finals last year, purely depended on another game's results for them to get through on percentage. Now they're number 1 on the ladder, looking as dominant as ever.

If we're serious about winning a grand final, the club needs to allow Rocket to bring his own coaching staff to the club, and remove players who he deems as not worthy. He's got an entire season to see who's up to scratch.

This season may be tough to watch, but it's just the foundations. The Bluey Era was the blueprint (no pun intended), this year is the laying the foundations, and next year onwards is the construction. Give it a few years, and we'll have a completed skyscraper - towering over the AFL ladder ;)

wayne didnt cull that many did he?
hoffman, barba and kennedy i thought were the ones that he culled

wayne didnt cull that many did he?
hoffman, barba and kennedy i thought were the ones that he culled
There were a couple of others as well I think, but he also made a few internal changes regarding positions, brought in his play-thing (Boyd), ditched the co-captaincy, and gave several players their last warning (Thaiday being one of them :( )

There were a couple of others as well I think, but he also made a few internal changes regarding positions, brought in his play-thing (Boyd), ditched the co-captaincy, and gave several players their last warning (Thaiday being one of them :( )
yeah got rid of one fb (hoffman) then brought 3 in. boyd eden and milford. picked the most useless prop in blair.. but hey he has them winning which is all i care about!

I hope they play Wright sooner rather than later. His body is easily big enough to take on senior bodies for a few games at a time and a kid with his talent needs a taste of senior footy to keep his enthusiasm up. Club also needs some feel good news with all the hoohaa going on, maybe bring big Pete in for the Q Clash.

I hope they play Wright sooner rather than later. His body is easily big enough to take on senior bodies for a few games at a time and a kid with his talent needs a taste of senior footy to keep his enthusiasm up. Club also needs some feel good news with all the hoohaa going on, maybe bring big Pete in for the Q Clash.

Nah Merrett is a grub, bring him in on an undersized defence like a Carlton perhaps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if any penalties will come out of Dank's guilty verdict supplying us banned substances in 2010?

Members with kids who live on the Goldy, don't forget your 2hrs free Timezone ends today, plus fireworks battle off tonight on the beach. That's our evening planned as per the daughters request.

For a completely useless piece of information old mate at Timezone last night said nearly 700 members used their free 2hrs from Lynchy kicking 2+ goals at a home game promo.

At $25ea that's a shite load he gives away for free!

Day & Gorringe surely will both come up in trade talks depending on how the season progresses.

Our #1 forward line in 2016 has to be Lynch, Dixon & Wright.

Just need to have some tall depth in the 2's to cover injuries.

I'm not writing Day off.. Thought he was actually passable for the conditions on the weekend. Having said that his scope for improvement is huge. Maybe rocket has seen something in cloke that he can teach, or we could hire a Brown/Lloyd to help our key forwards

Maybe rocket has seen something in cloke that he can teach, or we could hire a Brown/Lloyd to help our key forwards

Agree completely we need to contract a retired successful AFL key-fwd to sort our young guys out. Just a day or 2 a week. Especially now we have Wright aswell who could very overtake all of them in the future if he is given the knowledge and guidance to do so.

You look at big Cam McCarthy over at the Giants..
Played 3 games and kicked minimum 2 goals a game.
Gets to the right spots and kicks straight..
You either have it or you don't as a forward..
Daniher at Essendon smaller in frame and a few years younger then Day.. And pretty much Essendons only key target.. His doing a great job kicking goals each week..

Day is a good athlete.. But shouldn't be in the forward line.we can't rely on him to kick goals to win us a match. Or even take 1 big match saving mark.
Doesn't have the Forwards football brain..
Maybe CHB or just trade him for trade leveridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back