Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

As the rules stand (and indicated above), in the YV a ruckmen can punch the ball over the scoreline and a behind results. If the ruckman punched it over the boundary line, it's considered deliberate OOB and a free kick.

At AFL level, both instances would result in a free kick.

For Backhoe, examples 1 & 2 would be behinds and example 3 a free kick.

Broken Bone said he hasn't seen a ruck punch over the scoreline for a while. My personal thought is that most players are aware that the AFL has a slightly different application to all the other leagues. Issue is, most probably are not 100% certain which way it falls and as such, take the low risk option and keep the ball in play. I suspect that in recent years the EFL may have also followed the AFL interpretation which adds to a bit of confusion with so many players crossing between the 2 leagues each summer.

Thanks for clearing that up Man In White. I think you are right with the confusion hence why I haven't seen it for a while. It would be interesting if we asked a group of players regarding the deliberate rule if they actually know the rules. My guess is some might know you can punch the ball through but I think not many would know you could blatantly rush the ball through without being penalised. One of the reasons why being an umpire must be tough. I could imagine both players and supporters of clubs having a real go at you when they themselves don't even know the rules properly. Keep up the good work MIW

In my experience players and supporters are pretty good with the common rules that crop up 90% of the time. e.g. high tackle, push in the back, even holding the ball. The interesting ones are the "blue mooners" which don't often crop up and if you ask 3 people, you'll get 3 different answers. e.g.

1. Player kicks ball into play from behind the goal line and ball hits the post. What happens?
2. Scores are level - ball is in the air towards goals and the final siren goes with ball a metre from the line. Attacking player punches the ball over - is it a draw or does a team win by a point? (Happened to me a few years ago at Upwey).
3. Team count requested and 1 team has 19 on the ground - what happens?

In my experience players and supporters are pretty good with the common rules that crop up 90% of the time. e.g. high tackle, push in the back, even holding the ball. The interesting ones are the "blue mooners" which don't often crop up and if you ask 3 people, you'll get 3 different answers. e.g.

1. Player kicks ball into play from behind the goal line and ball hits the post. What happens?
2. Scores are level - ball is in the air towards goals and the final siren goes with ball a metre from the line. Attacking player punches the ball over - is it a draw or does a team win by a point? (Happened to me a few years ago at Upwey).
Hmmm
1. A behind.
2. A behind.
3. Formerly score for guilty side erased, however now I think it is in line with the AFL's interchange rules, free kick from the centre (if ball was in the 18 player side's backline) plus 50??? Or if in the 18 player's forward line a free kick plus 50??
Post more of these MIW, although my head hurts now

1. Player takes kick again.
2. Draw. if it was a defensive player score would count.
3. Assuming a Team Captain requested it. Same as Footy 1st -
Formerly score for guilty side erased, however now I think it is in line with the AFL's interchange rules, free kick from the centre (if ball was in the 18 player side's backline) plus 50??? Or if in the 18 player's forward line a free kick plus 50??
Plus the qtr & time and scores at the time of infringement are recorded by the umpire and the matter is then referred to the League Board for any further sanctions.

Player instructed to take the kick again. Seems counter intuitive - kick from inside play and it's a behind - kick from outside the play and you do it again.

Scores remain level. If the ball is assisted by an attacking player, score doesn't count. If the ball is assisted by a defending player, it does register. Assisting means forcing the ball across however. If it brushes hands of the pack as it crosses the line, it's a rushed point regardless of who touched it.

Free kick with a 50m penalty awarded to the opposing captain starting from the centre square or where the play was stopped when the count was requested depending on which is the biggest disadvantage to offending team. Scores remain as they are but the score at the time is noted and forwarded to the League for follow-up. Years ago the score went back to zero but that was changed quite a while ago.

4. When a ball is being kicked back into play after a behind, are any team officials allowed in the 50m arc?

5. The ball is about to be kicked back in after a behind but the full forward won't come back 5m when directed. What happens then?

6. If a player takes a mark and the umpire then notices some bleeding, can the player take the kick and then leave the ground?

7. If the ball is kicked back in after a behind and goes over the boundary line without being touched, a free kick is given to the opposition. What if the siren goes after the kick but before it rolls over the boundary line. Does the opposition get a free kick?

4. Hmm maybe a trainer/medical treating an injury? Or none?
5. I'd think a 50m penalty but that would be too easy...
6. Should be no.
7. Maybe no.....dead ball???

From The Bendigo Advertiser:

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3078780/local-footys-new-landscape/

THE days of open slather recruiting by local footy clubs appear to be over following the unveiling of AFL Victoria’s proposed new measures to combat escalating player payments.
AFL Victoria’s Community Club Sustainability Program proposed framework was released on Thursday, creating a much stricter new landscape for recruiting.
The cornerstones of the program will be a complex state-wide player points system, plus the reintroduction of the salary cap that has been previously tried unsuccessfully at local level.
The measures aim to assist in the equalisation of competitions; stop inflammatory player payments by discouraging player movement; and promote player loyalty and junior development.
The salary cap figure will be determined by regional commissions in consultation with clubs and leagues to ensure the cap meets local conditions.
One of the aims of the salary cap is to provide a tool for clubs to “not be allowed” to meet player demands.
Among the key implementations of the salary cap will be player payments to be detailed in a standard state-wide player contract.
“This contract would be accompanied by a statutory declaration signed by the player, which outlines that all payments to play for the club are confined to the detail within the standard player contract,” AFL Victoria stated in its working paper.
“Payments made by either the club or a third party to a player based upon their participation that is not contained within the player’s contract is illegal.”
All player contracts would be lodged electronically to a portal where they may be audited by an independent integrity officer accredited by AFL Victoria.
Player incentives, such as match awards, will need to be included in the salary cap, with budgeting tools to be provided to club administrators.
The standard player contracts will include conditions such as no sign-on fees, no match payments in finals or while injured, while the coaching element for a playing coach won’t be included in the salary cap.
AFL Victoria says clubs will be audited to ensure they are compliant to the salary cap.
“Not all will every year, but just like the tax office, when your time comes you will need to demonstrate full compliance,” AFL Victoria said.
The following penalties could apply for clubs found to have breached the salary cap:
• Club fines;
• Loss of points - current season and in the future;
• Suspended from finals;
• Player suspensions for those knowingly taking money outside of the standard playing contract.
The accompanying player points system will be implemented state-wide.
However, like the salary cap, the allocation of points for each club will be determined by regional commissions using feedback following the two-month trial period during June and July.
The proposed player points system defines players into six categories:
6 points - AFL Player.
5 points - State League Tier 1 (VFL, WAFL, SANFL).
4 points - TAC Cup; State League Tier 2 (NEAFL, TASFL); Premium Community Player.
3 points - Senior Community Player; Transferred Junior.
2 points - Development Community Player.
1 point - Home Player.
Where a player qualifies in more than one category based on their playing history in the previous three seasons, the highest points will apply.
Premium Community status has been granted to six metropolitan and 11 country competitions, including the Bendigo Football League.
Additional player penalties, such as transferring clubs in the same competition, or leaving a premier competition for a non-premier competition (BFL to Heathcote District, Loddon Valley or North Central) will also apply.
Player point deductions will also be included for each season of service to a club.
Regional commissions and leagues will determine the points allowances for each club and may base it on three criteria:
Small population base - additional points to the team allocation where the club is located in a region with a low population base;
Ladder position - additional points if team did not qualify for finals in previous season; reduction in points to team allocation for multiple premierships in defined number of seasons;
Junior pathway - additional points to team where a club has no under-age sides aligned to it, is not capable of developing a junior program due to reasons outside its control; or if a club is aligned with a university and the team is based around players coming and going over a three-to-four year period.
A junior aligned club is defined as: “where seniors and juniors exist under the same constitution, or where there is a memorandum of understanding in place between stand-alone senior and junior clubs that is approved by a league or region commission.”
While the salary caps and allocation of points will be determined by each region, they will be required to be signed off on by AFL Victoria.
The clearance window will now open earlier, with player transfers permitted to take place from November 1 to December 15, and the traditional February 1 to June 30.
Following Thursday’s unveiling of the proposed framework, the next stage is the trial period during June and July in which feedback will be sought from leagues and region commissions.
The AFL Victoria working party that has developed the proposals will then spend August finalising the framework ready for implementation across the state in 2016.
The CCSP working paper released by AFL Victoria on Thursday features a number of quotes from club representatives highlighting the need for action on escalating player payments.
“The rising cost of running a football club... each season is becoming more and more difficult, and if the trend continues my club will cease to exist.” - Northern FL club representative.
“Increasing player payments is currently placing a great amount of pressure on the club and volunteers to constantly fundraise, even through the off-season.” - Alberton FL club representative.
“We anticipate that we need to increase our player budget by 20 per cent each year for the next three years to remain competitive and we are unsure how we do that." - Bellarine FL club representative.
THE PROPOSED POINTS SYSTEM:
6 points – AFL Player:
minimum of 1 AFL game in the previous three seasons.
5 points – State League Tier 1 (VFL, WAFL, SANFL): minimum of 5 senior games in the current or previous 3 seasons.
4 points – TAC Cup: minimum 5 games in current or previous 3 seasons.
State League Tier 2 (NEAFL, TASFL): minimum 5 senior games in current or previous 3 seasons.
Premium Community Player (major metropolitan and country leagues): Club senior best and fairest top five or competition best and fairest top 10. Club leading goalkicker (minimum 40 goals in a season) in previous 3 seasons.
3 points – Senior Community Player: played the same or more senior than reserves games in any of the previous 3 seasons.
Transferred Junior: player recruited from an under-19s or younger competition and does not meet the home club definition.
2 points – Development Community Player: played more reserves than senior games in the previous season.
1 point – Home Player: played 40 or more games at the aligned junior club and up to and including under-17 competition or younger.
Player who has only played at that club.
ADDITIONAL PENALTY PLAYER POINTS
Additional 1 point -
If transferring from another community club in the same competition or division or is transferring from a club located in a premier competition to a club in a non premier competition * (maximum one point even if you meet both descriptions).
Additional 1 point - If transferred to more than two clubs in past 36 months.
DEDUCTIONS FOR PLAYER POINTS
Deduct 1 point -
For each season of service to the club (minimum 5 senior or reserves games per season), even if not in consecutive years, until the player reaches 1 point. Note: if the player is eligible for underage football at that club, it must be 5 senior games to meet the criteria for a year of service.
Revert to 1 point – Where player is returning to their home club.
Revert to 1 point – Where player has not played in the previous 36 months.
PREMIUM COMPETITIONS:
The 17 metropolitan and country leagues that are deemed to be premium competitions, in which Premium Community Players are determined:
METROPOLITAN:
Eastern F.L. Div. 1
Essendon District F.L. Premier
Northern F.L. Div. 1
Southern F.L. Div. 1
VAFA Premier Division
Western Region F.L. Div. 1
Ballarat FL
Bendigo FL
Geelong FL
Gippsland FL
Goulburn Valley FL
Hampden FL
Murray FL
Ovens and Murray FL
Peninsula FL
South East FL
Yarra Valley Mountain District FL

WOW that is a lot of information to take in. On the surface it looks fair however until we know what the total player points are or what the salary cap is, it is hard to judge. If both are high then the changes would make no difference. The salary cap figure will be determined by regional commissions in consultation with clubs and leagues to ensure the cap meets local conditions. How are those conversations going to go? It could be argued that if we as a league are considered a premium country league then the salary cap should reflect that. I like the theory behind the proposal but my gut feel suggests that the changes might not have that much of an effect. I will be watching with a great deal of interest

I've never really chatted with anyone to know how well it runs in our comp - but my gut feel is those who are probably most nervous will be a metro comp quite close to our borders and some Murray River comps up north.

Will it finally be a test of the true transparency of the Ammos?

WOW that is a lot of information to take in. On the surface it looks fair however until we know what the total player points are or what the salary cap is, it is hard to judge. If both are high then the changes would make no difference. The salary cap figure will be determined by regional commissions in consultation with clubs and leagues to ensure the cap meets local conditions. How are those conversations going to go? It could be argued that if we as a league are considered a premium country league then the salary cap should reflect that. I like the theory behind the proposal but my gut feel suggests that the changes might not have that much of an effect. I will be watching with a great deal of interest

Tend to agree with you Backhoe. Still, I think it's showing a bit of initiative from AFL Victoria as something has to be done in regards to spiralling player payments. Implementing this on a state wide basis makes a lot of sense to me, as if it was done on leagues here and there it would have no impact. We've seen the boom and busts of clubs who throw money around and I'm sure it will happen again if nothing is done (will probably still happen in the near future anyway). There will probably be the naysayers who will claim it won't have an effect and that clubs will come up with ways to get around it. If AFL Victoria do catch out these clubs, and name and shame them, hopefully that practice will stop.

I'd still like to know how many clubs in the Yarra Valley issue group certificates and pay super. A mate has told me that his club, not in the Yarra Valley, has got their players to sign a form stating that playing footy is a hobby and therefore the club is not liable for tax. Another mate has told me that this is not what the legislation was intended for and that any club going down that path is skating on thin ice. I suppose it's only a matter of time until the ATO knocks on someone's door.

And Man in White, of course there's no money in the Ammos. That's why their called amatuers!

Tend to agree with you Backhoe. Still, I think it's showing a bit of initiative from AFL Victoria as something has to be done in regards to spiralling player payments.
The spiralling payments are made by clubs. We created the market and the inflation.
No-one likes paying players, but everyone does. Yet everyone denies it.
The AFL is trying to save us from ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took the drive to Droiun on Saturday expecting to see a great contest, couldnt believe the names missing for Yarra Valley no wonder they got smashed. I assume the players that didnt play were injured and wont play for there clubs this weekend?

Last edited:
Took the drive to Droiun on Saturday expecting to see a great contest, couldnt believe the names missing for Yarra Valley no wonder they got smashed. I assume the players that didnt play were injured and wont play for there clubs this weekend?
we are a small comp compared to a league like Gippsland
our best team would have mixed it with them on the weekend.
there certainly needs to be some (incentive and or penalty) for players and CLUBS to ensure we are competitive
for the first time the interleague actually means something in terms of rankings, points etc,

healsville
mt eve
wandin
woori
upwey
interleague footy is a waste of time
Hi mr healz, that last quote is incorrect, clubs should support the concept and not be so self indulged. If the comp lifts its profile in inter-league the easier it is to recruit players to the comp. The higher the league profile, containing local product is easier as well. Simple way to look at this is look at the clubs that make finals more often than not, they keep a nucleus of players that have played together for a number of years and filter a couple in to suit requirements, they can sell there clubs to good players much easier than the struggling clubs. This happens at league levels too, not all players are looking for the big cash. Many very good players play for less money than being paid in this league, but are attracted to other comps due to false belief our league isn't that strong.
If we could get more buy in with clubs and promote the interleague games, the clubs, supporters, players and attraction of sponsors all would benefit. Success breads success, I'm very proud of our league and people involved but we can't be so nieve, I would love to see our best players representing our comp with pride so we can spruk our comp like other comps can.

we are a small comp compared to a league like Gippsland
our best team would have mixed it with them on the weekend.
there certainly needs to be some (incentive and or penalty) for players and CLUBS to ensure we are competitive
for the first time the interleague actually means something in terms of rankings, points etc,
We just need buy in mate, I would be very confident our best side would beat what I saw on the wkend, bit annoyed our community don't support interleague like other areas.

We just need buy in mate, I would be very confident our best side would beat what I saw on the wkend, bit annoyed our community don't support interleague like other areas.
burnt out all your points are very valid, but like the afl, interstate footy fizzled out years ago

Healesvile (Big Game, if they lose they're back in the pack, win- two games clear of Belgrave)
Mt Ev to go two in a row (warby relegated)
Wandin to smash monbulk (probably wont lose one....until the grand final)
Woori ( Play possession spread, short kick game well on their ground)
Upwey to pull their fingers out of their ass and get a W

I couldn't agree more. I thought the players that put their hand up to play did a fair job for 2 and abit quarters to stay in the game.
Pretty sure the clubs will start pushing their players to play once this new points system comes into play. If your not in the top 10 leagues all our local players will be worth 1pt not 2 and it will just open ourselves up the Efl and other leagues to recruit our best local players

Hi mr healz, that last quote is incorrect, clubs should support the concept and not be so self indulged. If the comp lifts its profile in inter-league the easier it is to recruit players to the comp. The higher the league profile, containing local product is easier as well. Simple way to look at this is look at the clubs that make finals more often than not, they keep a nucleus of players that have played together for a number of years and filter a couple in to suit requirements, they can sell there clubs to good players much easier than the struggling clubs. This happens at league levels too, not all players are looking for the big cash. Many very good players play for less money than being paid in this league, but are attracted to other comps due to false belief our league isn't that strong.
If we could get more buy in with clubs and promote the interleague games, the clubs, supporters, players and attraction of sponsors all would benefit. Success breads success, I'm very proud of our league and people involved but we can't be so nieve, I would love to see our best players representing our comp with pride so we can spruk our comp like other comps can.

A couple of really good points here I believe. Montrose under 19's are on the bottom with a percentage of 6. I'm sure at seasons end they will be in contact with quite a few under 18's from nearby clubs asking them to extend their junior careers by one more season.

all quiet on the eastern front
hopefully the second half of the season provides a bit more entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back