GFL Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly don't know what to make of Grovedale. They honestly seem to get something in there head about not playing well at Newtown in previous years and it effects them. Newtown were obviously up for the game considering they needed to win to keep a finals spot but I would've thought Grovey would've been up for the game as well considering a top 3 spot was up for grabs. I've said on here before but I'll say it again, Groveys skill level is dreadful compared to the other top 6 sides and they will be found out on a bigger ground against a quick skilful side. The midfield is filled with one paced inside players and if erskine is playing up around center half forward then they don't look like kicking a decent score. I'd expect them to get easily beaten in the elimination final this year, that's if they make finals at all.
On another subject. What are stupid AFL Barwon and Mr Out Of Touch Hartman doing to footy. They are bringing in zoned areas for Under 10's next season (because they are weak, and political correctness is their master). Now I assume that most people on this and other forums have played footy to whatever level. They want to have lines across the ground so the kids can't go out of there area. Isn't that called soccer, or Netball???

Just realized how big the Bell Park V Grovedale game is, winner basically finishes 3rd, loser will be 6th going into the last game...HUGE!!!

On another subject. What are stupid AFL Barwon and Mr Out Of Touch Hartman doing to footy. They are bringing in zoned areas for Under 10's next season (because they are weak, and political correctness is their master). Now I assume that most people on this and other forums have played footy to whatever level. They want to have lines across the ground so the kids can't go out of there area. Isn't that called soccer, or Netball???

Absolute joke. Let the kids play football the way its meant to be played, bringing in zones for the kids is going to do much more harm to kids development. Bringing in shorter grounds is going to make score blow outs even more prevalent as well.
It's just like the AFL at the moment, all this talk of tinkering with the rules to fix so-called issues with the game. If they just left it and let the game sort it self out there would be no issue.

Most ****ed rule ever. Unfortunately some kid will get hurt because they are looking down at the ground for a line and not head up watching the play around them.

My predictions for todays Games.

Colac by 2 goals V's St Josephs ( After Bellpark showed the way & home ground advantage)

Grovedale V's Bellpark by 3 goals (The Bellpark train still marching forward)

Last edited:
Bit of a silly statement after the weekend one would have thought. What makes a good side is their ability to win when not at full strength. Who was missing from their team on the weekend?? Please don't say Vail or sheringham

Newcomer this was your response after i said Bell Park would still make finals, sorry bud but i had to remind you as a few people thought i was wrong

Newcomer this was your response after i said Bell Park would still make finals, sorry bud but i had to remind you as a few people thought i was wrong
Haha statements always come back to bite. The Bell Park train is belting along the tracks at the moment. Looking forward to the joeys rematch - you beat us up a fortnight ago!! Beat us in every facet of the game. Think the chief might have had a few choice words as they bounced back with a bang on weekend. Looking forward to him fitting Atkins, Haintz, Hickey, Keras, Davis, Howe and Hovey into a team that beat colac at colac by 12 goals.

Still a chance they miss out, if they lose to St. Albans and Grovey, Leopold and Newtown all win then the dragons could miss out. Wishful thinking tho I think! Unbelievable to think that a side can win 12 games and still miss out. Grovedale would be kicking themselves, in such a strong position for the past 10 weeks and they could've let it slip in the last two weeks. Anyone think Grovey will make it ? Or will Newtown and Leopold both win and keep the Tigers out ?

Still a chance they miss out, if they lose to St. Albans and Grovey, Leopold and Newtown all win then the dragons could miss out. Wishful thinking tho I think! Unbelievable to think that a side can win 12 games and still miss out. Grovedale would be kicking themselves, in such a strong position for the past 10 weeks and they could've let it slip in the last two weeks. Anyone think Grovey will make it ? Or will Newtown and Leopold both win and keep the Tigers out ?
Grovedale make it mate. Leopold miss out. Joeys will do u a favour. Newtown will beat colac so first finals will be
Colac vs bell park
Grovedale vs newtown

Grovedale make it mate. Leopold miss out. Joeys will do u a favour. Newtown will beat colac so first finals will be
Colac vs bell park
Grovedale vs newtown
Fully agree. One of the tightest top fives in years. Leopold will be unbelievably stiff.

Colac vs bell park
Grovedale vs newtown

It looks like we all agree that it's Leopold to miss out.
But what I really want to know is what Lynch is up to & how his mind works.

Colac vs bell park
Grovedale vs newtown

Hope so mate but I've got a feeling Leopold may upset joeys. They've got everything to play for and playing at home will get them over the line. Unfortunately Newtown will beat Colac at home as well. Would love for them to miss out but can't see it happening. Agree that the side that misses out will be very, very stiff.

Hope so mate but I've got a feeling Leopold may upset joeys. They've got everything to play for and playing at home will get them over the line. Unfortunately Newtown will beat Colac at home as well. Would love for them to miss out but can't see it happening. Agree that the side that misses out will be very, very stiff.
its a bit of bad luck that leopold have run into joeys in the final game of the year. the VFL is over and they will have every single player available (except for the ones that overqualified of course). the joeys side that will take on leopold will be the best side they have fielded all year.

bell parks bigger bodies really rattled them though, will make for an interesting grand final! yep ive called it. joeys v bell park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My predictions for the weekend

Newtown by 4 goals
V's Colac

Leopold V's St Joeys (not sure on this one).Don't leave anything on the field boys it could be your last game.

Bellpark by 6 goals
V's St Albans

Last edited:
Ok, so even though Joeys may have put the foot off the pedal the last month knowing they can't move from top, I think its clear any of the top 5 can win it regardless of the double chance. Its great and even Leopold could have won it if they made it, I said from the start that Bell Park will be dangerous and i think if they can win or half the ruck and win the midfield battle they will beat Colac, Grovey have some work to do from last time to beat newtown

Ok, so even though Joeys may have put the foot off the pedal the last month knowing they can't move from top, I think its clear any of the top 5 can win it regardless of the double chance. Its great and even Leopold could have won it if they made it, I said from the start that Bell Park will be dangerous and i think if they can win or half the ruck and win the midfield battle they will beat Colac, Grovey have some work to do from last time to beat newtown

Is Newcomer & Boogey

Are Newcomer & Boogeyman48 getting a little nerves?
Agree anyone in the top 5 can win.

Is Newcomer & Boogey

Are Newcomer & Boogeyman48 getting a little nerves?
Agree anyone in the top 5 can win.
haha a little bit. dont agree that anyone in the top 5 can win. newtown are a long way off it, and who the hell knows which grovey will turn up? still think joeys should take it home, especially if they meet colac in the big dance. bell park and their big bodies will challenge them, but ryan williams from geelong has made a huge impact on their midfield. leopold had everything to play for and threw everything at joeys, who had 2 on the bench for the last quarter and still had 2 of their best 22 missing. it was a ripper contest to be honest.

haha a little bit. dont agree that anyone in the top 5 can win. newtown are a long way off it, and who the hell knows which grovey will turn up? still think joeys should take it home, especially if they meet colac in the big dance. bell park and their big bodies will challenge them, but ryan williams from geelong has made a huge impact on their midfield. leopold had everything to play for and threw everything at joeys, who had 2 on the bench for the last quarter and still had 2 of their best 22 missing. it was a ripper contest to be honest.

:)

Grovedale have alot of work to do, on the other hand newtown very impressive, will be a great contest next sunday

On a different note (not that it would have affected the result) That was one of the worst umpiring displays ive seen, not normally an umpire basher but if that's the best we got then its going to ruin games of football

Grovedale have alot of work to do, on the other hand newtown very impressive, will be a great contest next sunday

On a different note (not that it would have affected the result) That was one of the worst umpiring displays ive seen, not normally an umpire basher but if that's the best we got then its going to ruin games of football

What do you think they need for next year vampire ? To me Grovey are a long way off the pace but won a lot of games thru hard work and pressure. When that pressure is off they've been found out against the better sides. They're skill level is a long way off the other top 4 plus Leopold in my opinion. For me, they need more pace and skill around the middle of the ground and a big presence around center half forward. Hopefully these deficiencies can be addressed in the pre season otherwise I think Grovey will drop off fairly quickly.

Agree also with the umpiring yesterday. Didn't effect the result as Grovey were truly awful but a lot of the 6 50's given against them in the first half yesterday had everyone around me scratching their heads.

What do you think they need for next year vampire ? To me Grovey are a long way off the pace but won a lot of games thru hard work and pressure. When that pressure is off they've been found out against the better sides. They're skill level is a long way off the other top 4 plus Leopold in my opinion. For me, they need more pace and skill around the middle of the ground and a big presence around center half forward. Hopefully these deficiencies can be addressed in the pre season otherwise I think Grovey will drop off fairly quickly.

Agree also with the umpiring yesterday. Didn't effect the result as Grovey were truly awful but a lot of the 6 50's given against them in the first half yesterday had everyone around me scratching their heads.
First thing they need is a fitness coach. Some of the players playing yesterday weren't in good enough condition to play GFL finals. I won't name them but that was plain to see. Watch joeys when they run out Saturday - not an ounce of fat on any of them. Secondly in my opinion they have too many inside mids - McKenzie, Surkit, Deans, Stanley, Young are all the same types. Strong, tough good ball winners but no speed. Lastly they need small forwards that can keep footy locked inside 50. Razga and Erskine don't pressure so they need someone to do it and also to get to their feet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back