GFL Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Boys could you please help me out and tell who coached or coaches North Shore? Had a look on site and couldn't locate it
Jason Davenport is playing coach there mate. Doing a fine job on and off the field too.

Few leaving at Hamlyn Park by all reports

Bucovaz x2, Webber, Graham, Vail, Couch, Ianelli, Kennedy and a few more

Can't get on BFL thread. Anyhow, I think Kane Smith would be happy with 5 weeks, taking into account all the cheap shots he gets away with during the season.

Think Kane Smith would be happy with 5 weeks, taking into account all the cheap shots he gets away with during the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bookies have the odds up already.

COUNTRY METRO FUTURES
Geeelong Football League Premiership 2016
99d
10:00

Premiership Winner

St. Joseph's 4.00
Newtown & Chilwell 4.50
Colac 5.50
Grovedale 5.50
Bell Park 6.50
Leopold 7.00
St. Albans 10.00
South Barwon 14.00
GWSP 34.00
St. Mary's 34.00
North Shore 51.00
Lara 101.00

The Bookies have the odds up already.

COUNTRY METRO FUTURES
Geeelong Football League Premiership 2016
99d
10:00

Premiership Winner

St. Joseph's 4.00
Newtown & Chilwell 4.50
Colac 5.50
Grovedale 5.50
Bell Park 6.50
Leopold 7.00
St. Albans 10.00
South Barwon 14.00
GWSP 34.00
St. Mary's 34.00
North Shore 51.00
Lara 101.00

Gee Colac are very short.

Gee Colac are very short.
Its ironic that senior GFL coach's like Paul Lynch and Heath Jamieson are now saying, as quoted in the Geelong Advertiser, that the salary cap will weaken the GFL. Why didn't they think of this in the last 5 years whilst their administrators were rorting the system?

Its ironic that senior GFL coach's like Paul Lynch and Heath Jamieson are now saying, as quoted in the Geelong Advertiser, that the salary cap will weaken the GFL. Why didn't they think of this in the last 5 years whilst their administrators were rorting the system?

What system did they rort?

I thought the article was very disappointing. The whole point of the salary cap and point system was to give the clubs more control on player movement and promote juniors but they turn around and say we can't compete with the Melbourne clubs because they have more money. Nothing has changed Melbourne clubs have always offered more coin then GFL clubs.

What system did they rort?

I thought the article was very disappointing. The whole point of the salary cap and point system was to give the clubs more control on player movement and promote juniors but they turn around and say we can't compete with the Melbourne clubs because they have more money. Nothing has changed Melbourne clubs have always offered more coin then GFL clubs.

What is the idea behind a salary cap in the GFL?
Is it an attempt to even up the competition, develop juniors, or to protect weaker clubs from going under?

I can understand how some would be concerned about not being able to compete in bidding for players from other leagues, but would I be just a cynical old bastard in thinking that this is more about the few wealthier clubs protecting their ability to compete for premierships due to their greater ability to generate cash.

What is the idea behind a salary cap in the GFL?
Is it an attempt to even up the competition, develop juniors, or to protect weaker clubs from going under?

I can understand how some would be concerned about not being able to compete in bidding for players from other leagues, but would I be just a cynical old bastard in thinking that this is more about the few wealthier clubs protecting their ability to compete for premierships due to their greater ability to generate cash.
You got it in1 Rabbi. Correct.

That's a bit silly. First there has been no system in place so they have rorted nothing. Lynch rebuilt Colac with locals and youngsters and Jamieson did the same at joeys. I thought their point was fine. They both said it was going to even up the competition which is what afl Barwon want but they also stated that the Comp may slip because players demand more money these days. Like it or not local footy has turned into a fairly handy second income for players to set themselves up. Whilst other comps are still paying high dollar we will continue to lose a few quality players from each team each year

That's a bit silly. First there has been no system in place so they have rorted nothing. Lynch rebuilt Colac with locals and youngsters and Jamieson did the same at joeys. I thought their point was fine. They both said it was going to even up the competition which is what afl Barwon want but they also stated that the Comp may slip because players demand more money these days. Like it or not local footy has turned into a fairly handy second income for players to set themselves up. Whilst other comps are still paying high dollar we will continue to lose a few quality players from each team each year
Your wrong actually, there was a system in place. 2 years ago all clubs, from the GFL and BFL were required to state to FG, as it was called then, what they were paying players. They all lied (eg. Ammos said $113,000 LOL, what a joke). It just wasn't policed properly. That's why its been brought in. Paul Lynch has been a mercenary for years. Is this his 4th or 5th coaching assignment??? They are the last 2 GFL premiership coaches, so they want to shore up there own personal positions for the future, that's why they are concerned, not for the competition in general.

A
Your wrong actually, there was a system in place. 2 years ago all clubs, from the GFL and BFL were required to state to FG, as it was called then, what they were paying players. They all lied (eg. Ammos said $113,000 LOL, what a joke). It just wasn't policed properly. That's why its been brought in. Paul Lynch has been a mercenary for years. Is this his 4th or 5th coaching assignment??? They are the last 2 GFL premiership coaches, so they want to shore up there own personal positions for the future, that's why they are concerned, not for the competition in general.
All talk of why are the GFL bringing in salary cap, or what coaches think, is fairly irrelevant anyway. The Salary Cap and Points system have all been brought in by AFL Victoria for all country and metro leagues. The leagues had no say in whether or not they would bring it in. Only things the leagues could have part control of were the actual figures. But even those caps(points and $) needed to be ticked off by AFL Vic, and needed to be comparable to neighbouring leagues, so one league couldnt effectively kill off surrounding leagues. GFL caps needed to take into account what the caps were going to be for BFL, GDFL, and even WRFL.

One club sat at that table and told the truth, $120k is what they had spent on players..

They were the "highest" paying club in the BFL, even though had players choose Ammo's/Torquay ect for higher wages

Sooner clubs start playing by the rules and the league starts policing properly the better
The cap and points have been brought in for a reason- to close up the gaps from the top and bottom teams and even up each competition. I am all for it, bring through and promote your juniors and keep them at the club, top up a little bit if you have to, within the boundaries obviously. I just hope that first club caught flaunting the rules is sanctioned hard enough to set an example of, yet not cripple the club.

With you both on that one douglas86 and The Mailman32. But we all know it won't happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back