GFL Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally don't have a problem with a points system or salary cap but the standard of the league will definitely drop. A salary cap of $150,000 dropping to $140,000 in 2017 is a joke for the strongest country league in Victoria.

A

All talk of why are the GFL bringing in salary cap, or what coaches think, is fairly irrelevant anyway. The Salary Cap and Points system have all been brought in by AFL Victoria for all country and metro leagues. The leagues had no say in whether or not they would bring it in. Only things the leagues could have part control of were the actual figures. But even those caps(points and $) needed to be ticked off by AFL Vic, and needed to be comparable to neighbouring leagues, so one league couldnt effectively kill off surrounding leagues. GFL caps needed to take into account what the caps were going to be for BFL, GDFL, and even WRFL.

AFL Barwon have gone 1 year early. Every Competition should have started together if it is the strongest Comp why do they have 10 less points, why do they have 50,000 less to spend than EDFL, NFL etc. All other Comps have Signs ons this Year so it's not an even playing field, don't agree with Sign Ons but just stating the facts. Think the Cap and Points System are a great idea but AFL Barwon should have waited a Year.
Does anybody have the ins and outs this year so far, has the above had an effect ?

AFL Barwon have gone 1 year early. Every Competition should have started together if it is the strongest Comp why do they have 10 less points, why do they have 50,000 less to spend than EDFL, NFL etc. All other Comps have Signs ons this Year so it's not an even playing field, don't agree with Sign Ons but just stating the facts. Think the Cap and Points System are a great idea but AFL Barwon should have waited a Year.
Does anybody have the ins and outs this year so far, has the above had an effect ?

I could be completely wrong but I thought I'd read somewhere that the EDFL or EFL has a salary cap of around $300,000 ? If the GFL want to continue to be the strongest country league then the salary cap should've been set at a minimum of $200,000

I could be completely wrong but I thought I'd read somewhere that the EDFL or EFL has a salary cap of around $300,000 ? If the GFL want to continue to be the strongest country league then the salary cap should've been set at a minimum of $200,000
Though the gaps in salary caps is a touch surprising, I'd imagine GFL clubs wouldn't have the arms race of sorts that leads EDFL clubs (amongst others) paying excessively "overs"

Though the gaps in salary caps is a touch surprising, I'd imagine GFL clubs wouldn't have the arms race of sorts that leads EDFL clubs (amongst others) paying excessively "overs"

Like I said I could be completely wrong re: the salary caps for the 2 metro leagues, but you're right about GFL clubs not having the arms race of say the EDFL. For example, down here everyone says Newtown probably spend the most on players ( no idea on figures and don't really care ) but from what I hear about EDFL clubs spending, they'd be one of the lowest spending clubs compared to the EDFL premier league.

Like I said I could be completely wrong re: the salary caps for the 2 metro leagues, but you're right about GFL clubs not having the arms race of say the EDFL. For example, down here everyone says Newtown probably spend the most on players ( no idea on figures and don't really care ) but from what I hear about EDFL clubs spending, they'd be one of the lowest spending clubs compared to the EDFL premier league.
What about the Clubs that struggle like Lara, West, Northshore what would they spend how will they go this year

Is it the Armstrong from Collingwood? What's child's footy background?

Yeah mate Armstong from Collingwood. Is a legend of a bloke and can play. Joel Child is a A grader. Can play middle and forward. I believe he played some great footy at Trinity FC in Cairns and also some good footy for Numurkah in the Murray Footy League.

Thought Kelly was going to Torquay(see BFL Thread). Or Essendoom. Or North Shore? Probably not going anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone on here involved with clubs? I'm after some suggestions for good team activities to do on a footy camp. Plenty of new recruits and want them to gel early. There will be plenty of running and ball work but it's always good to throw in something different to mix it up.
Cheers

Going to have an early crack at a ladder so here goes

1. Newtown
2. Leopold
3. Joeys
4. Bell Park
5. Albans
6. Colac
7. Grovey
8. St Marys
9. South B
10. GWSP
11. North Shore
12. Lara

Tipping St Albans to rise, Joeys, Colac & Grovey to drop, lost too many good players, Joeys will still make top 3 though and may even stay up the top

Lara & North Shore will be clear bottom 2 with West easy 10th

St Marys will improve with additions of J. Duncan, R. Hall and the Dobsons

Newtown sound like they have the same squad & Leopold have added and probably under performed last season

really though between 4th & 9th you could have any order at this time of year especially with South because we never hear boo from them

Going to have an early crack at a ladder so here goes

1. Newtown
2. Leopold
3. Joeys
4. Bell Park
5. Albans
6. Colac
7. Grovey
8. St Marys
9. South B
10. GWSP
11. North Shore
12. Lara

Tipping St Albans to rise, Joeys, Colac & Grovey to drop, lost too many good players, Joeys will still make top 3 though and may even stay up the top

Lara & North Shore will be clear bottom 2 with West easy 10th

St Marys will improve with additions of J. Duncan, R. Hall and the Dobsons

Newtown sound like they have the same squad & Leopold have added and probably under performed last season

really though between 4th & 9th you could have any order at this time of year especially with South because we never hear boo from them
My Bolter is Lara to finish 6th and Grovedale to win it. St Albans have recruited well with Jason Eagle and Pitman with others so they might finish top 4.

My Bolter is Lara to finish 6th and Grovedale to win it. St Albans have recruited well with Jason Eagle and Pitman with others so they might finish top 4.

Grovedale to win it ? Would love to see it but I can't see that happening. Have lost some quality but still think they'll be good enough to make finals.

St. Albans picked up Jason Eagle ? The same Jason Eagle who's kicked tons of goals all over Victoria ? Massive get if true and would certainly make them a dark horse.

Lara to be bottom 3 with West and North Shore again. Newtown, Joeys and Leopold the clear top 3 in my opinion. Grovey, Colac, Bell Park, St. Albans and St Mary's to fight out the last couple of spots in the 5.

Grovedale to win it ? Would love to see it but I can't see that happening. Have lost some quality but still think they'll be good enough to make finals.

St. Albans picked up Jason Eagle ? The same Jason Eagle who's kicked tons of goals all over Victoria ? Massive get if true and would certainly make them a dark horse.

Lara to be bottom 3 with West and North Shore again. Newtown, Joeys and Leopold the clear top 3 in my opinion. Grovey, Colac, Bell Park, St. Albans and St Mary's to fight out the last couple of spots in the 5.
Yeah Eagle signed last week good replacement for Perkins kicked over a 100 the last 2 years. Have West picked up any or Nth Shore ? Any Practice Match schedules ?

Not bad, although I would swap Joeys and the 'pold. The 'pold's backline and midfield have been bolstered, but concerns over who is going to kick the goals with Tom and O'Keefe leaving, Grovey could be the smokey IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Eagle signed last week good replacement for Perkins kicked over a 100 the last 2 years. Have West picked up any or Nth Shore ? Any Practice Match schedules ?

Hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I've seen/heard but huge get if true and more than makes up for the lose of Perkins. Would make he supersaints a very tough side to play especially with a gun like Carey at center half back as well.

Interesting people dropping joeys down the ladder. Surely the team to beat again.

They may well be but when you lose Carson, Howe, Gibbs and maybe a couple others plus a few depth players, they probably need to stay injury free with the likes of Newtown and Leopold regaining there lists, will also depend on how many guys they have at the vfl, if they all return back to Joeys then look out

They may well be but when you lose Carson, Howe, Gibbs and maybe a couple others plus a few depth players, they probably need to stay injury free with the likes of Newtown and Leopold regaining there lists, will also depend on how many guys they have at the vfl, if they all return back to Joeys then look out
AFL Barwon will decide on Feburary 10th how the new 3 tier system will operate in 2017 (see website). Regardless of what various teams want, that's what they are going to do. What will the new leagues be called? They would have to be GFL Div 1, GFL Div 2, and GFL Div 3 I think. There can no longer be a GDFL or a BFL, because some teams in those current leagues will move. If, for example, Ocean Grove, Barwon Heads, Queenscliff, Anglesea and Portarlington leave their current league they are no longer playing in the Bellarine area anymore. A Portarlington vs Anakie game, for example can't be called a BFL game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back