Season gone 2015 - What's Next?

Remove this Banner Ad

Watson - Play when fit.
Kav - Disappointing today. But needs more ganes to prove himself. On notice. Deserves more time on the back of vfl form/geelong game/disposal in close.
NOB - probable delist. Can find the ball, but use is just so in effectual. Seems to have had handball backwards drilled into his head since it's his 1st instinct. I base this off his vfl performances too by the way.
Alex Browne - slot him in however you like. Half-back flank for Dempsey, or on a wing. Whatever. Get the man out of the friend zone.
Connor McKenna - I am the captain of his bandwagon. Which is actually terrible news for everyone else since I'm a shithouse driver.
Laverde - play as forward flank/lead-up option.
Langford - not as convinced he needs to play tbh. Really light and struggles to play out a full game. Think we should look more at him next year.
Dalgleish - comes in for Dempsey.
Fletch - retire at end of year
Chapman - retire now essentially
Winderlich - retire at end of year
Stanton - If he wants to leave he can, but I'm not going to tell a club champion to bugger off.
Myers - if he can actually get on the park, no more pccasional run-with roles, hunt that Sherrin brah.
Kommer - oh boy.
J Merrett - agree. Should play on wing.
Shaun Edwards - play when form warrants. Could use as sub as well.
Ambrose - either make him an inside mid, or keep forward, but wait for him to find form.
Pears - delist
Fanta - forward pocket in 1sts.
[/QUOTE]

I put my hand up and do the job of telling him the bad news.

Need to hang tough for another 10 weeks. Going to be a long season.

Look on the bright side. We'll have decent picks for the first time in years and we'll have Zerrett, Laverde and Langford as support next year.

Things can change quickly. We need to get into a position where we get the best mid available in the draft.

Hey guys,
I was at the game today - what a shocker. Season over.
A lot of valid comments above.. some over reactions, i.e. Watson possible seeking a trade.

Team of the future :

B: ????? (1) Hurley Ashby
HB: Hibberd Hooker Gleeson
C: Zakahakis Heppell Colyer
Foll: McKernan Myers Z Merrett
HF: Langford Carlisle Laverde
F: Edwards Daniher K McKenna
B: Melksham A Browne J Merrett J Long

Other possibles: Fantasia , Dalgleish
????? (1) = We need another key FWD or BACK .. If FWD, Carlisle goes back.

RUCK : I love what McKernan brings... the S Martin type of ruckman. But against a Nic Nat / Sandi type we will get shown out without a legitimate ruck. We are chasing Z Smith. Which could be good, but I see him lacking grit .. and we have that in Bellchambers.

Looking at the team - Looks exciting, type of team that could play like the Saints played against us today. Lacks some toughness. A lot of players that I am hoping / but not sure if they will make it to the next level i.e. Edwards / Browne / Long / J Merrett / K McKenna.

Who to chase: I'd love to throw everything at Dixon. Have hime FWD with Joey and Carlisle back. And another hard midfielder. Adam Treloar? (yea I'm dreaming).

PLAYERS:

Retire end of year: Gwilt , Chappy , Fletch , Winderlich
Play in 22 until youth take over : Watson , Stanton , Hocking , Howlett , Goddard , Cooney
Carlisle : NEED TO SIGN
Possible trade bait : Dempsey , Howlett, Baguely (I know! I love him, but his in the older age bracket and has currency)
Kommer / Ambrose : I put them both in the same boat. Hard, can tackle, but not going to get enough of the ball or score enough. Back ups / or out for me.
O'Brien / Kav : O'Brien definitely out (has no penetration in his kick amongst other things) , Kav.. I think we all are holding onto the dream with this guy. Just don't see him making it. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
Pears : Why are they playing him FWD? Put him back. I'd consider one more season for him, maybe as rookie. Considering we need backs. But unlikely he will play again.
Steinberg: Out.
Hams : I don't see it happening.

Brett Ratten.
tumblr_lrjg6aenzZ1qh0sb5o1_400.gif

Core players: Baguley, Daniher, Z. Merrett, Hurley, Heppell, Carlisle, Myers, Hooker and Colyer. These guys are automatic selections for 2016 and onwards. Also want to include McKernan in this group should he persist with his form. Provided a valuable target and a very handy fill-in ruckman.

Older players:

Watson - Cooked. Absolute champion, but he has had enough. We could keep him on for 2016, but has to hand over the captaincy.

Stanton - Been a serviceable player throughout his career, but he is declining. Providing very little atm

Goddard - Came to the club at the worst possible time, but he has been a gun for us. As with Stanton, he is declining. He is turning it over constantly and is lacking the influence that he used to have. Keep him on for 2016 as an experienced senior player.

Cooney - Shadow of his former self.

Fletcher and Chapman - both done.

Fringe players: Zaharakis, Hibberd, Bellchambers, Dempsey, Melksham, Ambrose, Howlett, Gwilt. These guys should be traded or moved on. Serviceable players and nothing more.

Younger players: Edwards, Kav, Fantasia, Laverde, Langford, Hams, Dalgleish, Gleeson, Ashby, J. Merrett. Play these guys in the seniors and see what they are capable of.

Reality is that we need to bottom out and rebuild with the core group of 9-10 players. We MUST nail the top 5 draft pick we are likely going to get, and the second round pick. We will not be contending for a few years

Core players: Baguley, Daniher, Z. Merrett, Hurley, Heppell, Carlisle, Myers, Hooker and Colyer. These guys are automatic selections for 2016 and onwards. Also want to include McKernan in this group should he persist with his form. Provided a valuable target and a very handy fill-in ruckman.

Older players:

Watson - Cooked. Absolute champion, but he has had enough. We could keep him on for 2016, but has to hand over the captaincy.

Stanton - Been a serviceable player throughout his career, but he is declining. Providing very little atm

Goddard - Came to the club at the worst possible time, but he has been a gun for us. As with Stanton, he is declining. He is turning it over constantly and is lacking the influence that he used to have. Keep him on for 2016 as an experienced senior player.

Cooney - Shadow of his former self.

Fletcher and Chapman - both done.

Fringe players: Zaharakis, Hibberd, Bellchambers, Dempsey, Melksham, Ambrose, Howlett, Gwilt. These guys should be traded or moved on. Serviceable players and nothing more.

Younger players: Edwards, Kav, Fantasia, Laverde, Langford, Hams, Dalgleish, Gleeson, Ashby, J. Merrett. Play these guys in the seniors and see what they are capable of.

Reality is that we need to bottom out and rebuild with the core group of 9-10 players. We MUST nail the top 5 draft pick we are likely going to get, and the second round pick. We will not be contending for a few years

Hibberd and Zaka I would chuck in the core group.

Whats next?..

Keep an eye out for our developing VFL talent.

Watch more U18 Championships

Trade anyone looking for a fresh start, because a lot of blokes out there clearly don't want to be here.

Start thinking about 2017 season when we might have a chance to rise again.
(we need a couple dirty years/top 3 picks to rejuvenate this list)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zaka is too inconsistent and Hibberd has become a shadow of his former self
I understand in regards to Hibberd but I disagree on Zaka. I know he's frustrating but I still believe he's an important player for us.

If the club has got any sense at all for the rest of this year we will ;-

Give Watson a spell - injured and/or mentally shot
Put someone on LTI list so we can elevate Connor McKenna and give him a few games
Kav, NOB & Hams - Not up to AFL standard so play them in the VFL only then delist at end of year
Langford, Laverde & Browne - give these guys a decent run - 4 or 5 games each
Chapman, Winders, Cooney - Play only if fully fit and play as SUB if required so younger guys get a go
Fletch - let him do what he likes - he deserves that
Stanton/Goddard - play off half back flank where they can use their smarts - no more on ball roles for these guys
Hocking, Myers & Kommer - get them back into the team ASAP hopefully Hocking this week
J Merrett - not sure about this guy maybe shop him for a trade. I just dont see him getting anywhere near his brothers level
Shaun Edwards/Fantasia - play in forward pocket for rest of year regardless of form
Ambrose and Pears - must play them again ASAP

I understand in regards to Hibberd but I disagree on Zaka. I know he's frustrating but I still believe he's an important player for us.
Pig seems to have also turned a bit of a corner this last fortnight for mine.

- Watson permanent forward. Give him short impact stints on the ball, when Heppell is on the pine only.
- Goddard back playing the role he did for St Kilda. Won't be exposed for pace, will have more time to execute his kicks.
- Myers and Hocking in to the side, in the guts.
- Browne, Dalgleish, Fantasia, Kommer, Laverde, Langford, McKenna all to get serious minutes. Kav to get some more game time still.
- Giles to man the * up and earn a spot in the AFL side. Give us a look at McKernan CHF and pinch hitting in the ruck.
- Hibberd, Howlett, Dempsey to spend (more) time in the VFL.
- NOB, Chappy, Stein, Winderlich done.

Whats next?..

Keep an eye out for our developing VFL talent.

Watch more U18 Championships

Trade anyone looking for a fresh start, because a lot of blokes out there clearly don't want to be here.

Start thinking about 2017 season when we might have a chance to rise again.
(we need a couple dirty years/top 3 picks to rejuvenate this list)
I've watched a bit and seen some kids i like.
Parish & Collins would be great. Let Hooker play intercept defender and let collins man-child forwards. big kid is big.
Losing Carlisle and snagging those two would be a good start.
Milera and Balic have also impressed me. Milera for outside flair, Balic for clean skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back