Review Season Review 2014 - Thank *beep* It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved Jack Newnes' season. Has started to average about that 20 disposal mark, and this is a great base for him to launch from next year. Without wanting to put pressure on him, expecting him to take that next step again in 2015. Will be interesting to see if he can make the transition from half back to the midfield, or if HB is his best position (wouldn't be a bad thing if it was - he is a beautiful kick, which we need in defence).

Highlight of the season was the win over Freo, no doubt. We just gelled as a team. Shows what we can do when everyone starts putting in and working for each other.

Lowlight of the season was the Hawks game. One of the worst games i've sat through (not the worst - that honour is reserved for a game that happened right at the end of the 2010 season :()

Don't know who will the BnF but i'd be very surprised if Delaney wasn't top 5 at least.

Highlights:
  1. Lukey Dunstan
  2. Luke Delaney
  3. Win over the Bombers - and seeing them all file out with 20mins to go in the last quarter, with the remaining like 500 of us on the wing singing the song for the last 10mins. Great stuff.
  4. Win over Freo - genuinely shattered I was in Europe when it happened, would've been amazing to catch live!
  5. Our Draft/Trade/FA period in 2013, pretty confident that we'll be able to talk about it in 10 years as the beginning/catalyst for a premiership. :D:D.
Lowlights:
  1. All the injuries. I guess it worked out, with us grabbing the 1st pick. Pretty frustrating that our young guns got injured - Acres, Eli, Markworth. Was so keen to see Markworth, and just as he hit some form, did a hammy I think? Hickey's injury helped Longer out, which worked out okay I guess.
  2. The 145 pt drubbing against the Hawks.
BnF Top 10,

Nick Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes, Luke Delaney, Jack Newnes, Leigh Montagna, Jack Steven, Farren Ray, Sean Dempster, Luke Dunstan, David Armitage.

Was pretty hard to pick the BnF towards the end, given such a distinct lack of continuity across the entire team.

Player: Seb Ross and Jimmy Webster (Cheating a bit)

Sebby:
Another full preseason learning under Richo would be invaluable for the kid. With Lenny moving on, we can rely on Seb Ross just focussing on winning the ball and playing as that 1st or 2nd inside mid and develop him accordingly through greater exposure in that role. I noticed this year, he was lining up on the wing a fair bit, which just isn't his game. I think he'll end up as an old-school get to every contest, ball winning type midfielder. With a preseason and a larger role next year, I can see him blossom. The 3rd-4th player in the midfield is required to have an elite spread, and he simply isn't at that stage, so I feel like letting him just attack the ball from the outset is more suited to his skillset - Lenny retiring frees that spot up.

J-Webb:
He has made some huge strides this year, his one on one defending has improved, seemed to go to ground less than in the past. We have to remember this year was only his second year of proper AFL footy, given he developed in the VFL for a year before that. Can see him spending time 50/50 between wing and half-back, and should only get better. His speed off the mark is impressive. I can see him becoming even more damaging as he settles into the Newnes role (as Newnes appears ready to become a full time midfielder).

Conclusion:
Plenty of promising signs, lots of development left, but it means more time to get elite talent through the door. Can't wait for the draft/trade/fa period, exciting times ahead guys!

Being serious though..

Highlight:
- Jack Newnes season as mentioned above
- Blake Acres (despite not many games), Jack Billings, Luke Dunstan, Eli Templeton, Josh Bruce, Shane Savage, Billy Longer and Luke Delaneys first seasons here
- Nick Riewoldt continuing his stellar career with great form.
- Freo and Essendon wins hardly anyone gave us any chance at all leading into both matches

Will stop here.

Lowlights:
- Lenny Hayes retiring.
- Those bastard injuries!

Top 10- B&F
1. Nick Riewoldt
2. Lenny Hayes
3. Luke Delaney
4. Jack Newnes
5. Sean Dempster
6. Farren Ray
7. David Armitage
8. Luke Dunstan
9. Maverick Weller
10. Leigh Montagna

2015 breakout player:
Daniel Markworth or Blake Acres

Loved Jack Newnes' season. Has started to average about that 20 disposal mark, and this is a great base for him to launch from next year. Without wanting to put pressure on him, expecting him to take that next step again in 2015. Will be interesting to see if he can make the transition from half back to the midfield, or if HB is his best position (wouldn't be a bad thing if it was - he is a beautiful kick, which we need in defence).

Highlight of the season was the win over Freo, no doubt. We just gelled as a team. Shows what we can do when everyone starts putting in and working for each other.

All of the above & I will have to add all the new guys that joined our great club. IMO they all showed us a little something, to get us excited for the coming years.

Lowlight... Will be after the game tomorrow, No more Lenny. :(

Positives
- front office did some major decisions which are looking positive
- 2013 draft crop incl the rookies Eli, mav
- special mention to Holmes who looks like he may just make it
- roo for playing at an almost all Australian level
- the recycled players through trades, Bruce, keys, savage and longer
- newnes 2014 year
- ANDDDDDDDDDD SPENCAAAAAAAAAAAA

Negatives
- Lenny retiring
- injuires (although have some other positives such as allowed us to play 42/45 players and get the no.1 draft pick)
- having heaps of scrubs like TDL, milera, dunnel, jones, maister etc who all clogged up a spot
- crappy media reports regarding our team

Top 10 BnF
1 roo
2 Lenny
3 newnes
4 Keys
5 Dunstan
6 dempster
7 Steven?
8 ray
9 armo
10 gwilt

Breakout player
Blacers and newnes breaks out even more and gets an AA squad nod

A bit early for a season review when we still have a game left, we might have a memorable win tomorrow with Spencer kicking 10 goals.

Highlights so far has been the development of our youth, we've got some quality kids coming through like Dunstan, Billings, Templeton, Wright, Webster, Newnes, Acres, Curren, White etc.

Our trades have been pretty good too, Hickey, Longer, Delaney, Bruce and Savage have all been good pick ups.

The Stanley Knife has started to live up to his potential and cemented his spot in the team, it was a make or break year for him and he's delivered.

Disappointing from a team point of view but our horror injury run hasn't helped, we had some good wins early and our win over Freo was awesome.

We'll probably get the spoon unless we can cause an upset tomorrow but there are plenty of positive signs that we won't be down long, if we can nail the next draft we'll bounce back up the ladder again pretty quickly. #keepthefaith

B&F winner - Riewoldt or Hayes, would be great to see Lenny bow out with a Trevor Barker medal.

Breakout player - Nathan Wright, will become a midfield A grader for us next year if he can stay injury free and have a good pre-season.

Last edited:
Happy to have kids exposed. Season ended when Eli went down, and Hickey's been out of action for far too long.

Feel we've gone forward and yet quite clearly back. All of our players make s**t decisions all of the time and it makes me cry. Lenny retiring only makes it worse. Riewoldt deserves so much better than what he's got this season. The form forward of the competiton IMO but has to deal with absolute trash for delivery.

Freo and Essendon showed what we were capable of but we delivered some shite otherwise. Get them together again over the offseason and set some strong standards for work. Too many times I felt it just wasn't good enough. Leaders other than Lenny and Roo didn't give enough. Would really like to fill that 23-27 bracket with a few guys that will work ******* hard and show the kids that only 100% is acceptable.

Get better with injuries, get some continuity, should get the wins eventually. It will be a long process but we can do it.

Highlights: Stanley's first standout game, Dunstan and Billings, the Freo and Essendon games.

Lowlights: injuries, Lenny, the Hawthorn and Geelong games.

Player of the Year: Luke Delaney/Luke Dunstan/Jack Newnes.

B&F: Roo (again...).

2015 Bolter: Jeremy Cameron.

Highlights
Liked what I saw from Dunstan, Billing, Templeton, Acres
Mav Weller, Luke Delaney
I think Newnes, Webster, Wright may become players?
Couple of good wins
Armitages Leadership
Though Shenton had a Carl and a good year

Player of the year B/F.... Nick Riewoldt (freak)

Lowlights
A lot of uncompetitiveness
1st Quarters
Injury curse
Disappointing development of Ross, Stanley, Saunders, Siposs, Murdoch, Roberton, Curran, Milera, Simpkin... None were any great deal better than the last two seasons

Bolter for 2015
Blake Acres AFL
Lewis Pierce VFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highlight - Bombers & Dockers wins

Lowlight - The May Day massacre v Hawthorn & soulless effort against Carlton (the 2nd time)

B&F top 5 - Roo, Lenny, Ray, Newnes, Delaney
Yeah and the Essendope & Dockers wins were genuine wins co's we out played them with run and gameplan.
Not like the 'junk time' win Vs Freo last yr.
Thats 2 quality wins against finals teams. With one being a top 4 side. Just a glimpse that even though we are rebuilding, if we have our full strength side on the field we are capable of playing very good footy.
Unfortunately we didnt have anything near a full strength team out there for much this season.

Highlights:

The recruits of last offseason with obviously Dunstan and Billings being the standouts.

Jack Newnes stepping it up.

The wins.

Lowlights:

Being put to the sword by the Hawks. In a way it was good because it showed us how far off we really were and where we need to get to. What a clinic it was from the Hawks.

First quarter blowouts and being almost uncompetitive.

Injuries.

Too lazy to think of a top 10 so here's my top 5 BnF:

Roo
Lenny
Delaney
Newnes
Armo

Breakout player:

Barring injury Acres to have a season similar to Billings and Dunstan this year. Webster to have a Newnes' like season.

Lowlight(s)
Losing to Brisbane in NZ. Terrible game
Magnitude of injuries
Disposal Efficiency
Montagna lowered his colours this year

Highlight(s):
Newnes's season was brilliant.
Luke Dunstan had no trouble stepping in as an AFL player
Spencer White's debut
Weller cementing a place in the side
Delaney playing as full back

B&F:
Reiwoldt
Hayes
Newnes
Delaney
Armitage
Dempster
Dunstan
Weller
Ray
Montagna

Its been a while since he was injured so its pretty easy to forget that Jimmy Webster played the first 9 games this season, then came back for 3 more.
Last year he didn't get more than 15 disposals, this year he was 20+ on three occasions. And very nice disposals they are too.
If he gets a decent pre-season I think he'll really break out next year.

Lowlight(s)
Losing to Brisbane in NZ. Terrible game
Magnitude of injuries
Disposal Efficiency
Montagna lowered his colours this year

Highlight(s):
Newnes's season was brilliant.
Luke Dunstan had no trouble stepping in as an AFL player
Spencer White's debut
Weller cementing a place in the side
Delaney playing as full back

B&F:
Reiwoldt
Hayes
Newnes
Delaney
Armitage
Dempster
Dunstan
Weller
Ray
Montagna

I'm not sure Joey ever had to worry about the tag before. He's traditionally been behind Goddard and Dal Santo.

Swing dat axe

Of all the players on our list these are the ones who have either proven they are AFL quality or could be IMO, not seeing we keep them all necessarily, if the right trades come up anyone is tradeable but these guys are our future IMO:

Hickey, Steven, Savage, Ross, Lee, Billings, Newnes, Longer, Armitage, Delaney, White, Bruce, Stanley, Webster, Murdoch, Dunstan, Acres, Weller, Templeton.

A lot of other guys who could be but haven't shown enough IMO (Wright; kicking. Saunders; needs to start finding the goals. Curren; good player, but not overly talented or crucial part of the team. Geary; great person but again not overly talented, kicking can be average and may not fit our crucial age range. Roberton; HBF'er which we have a tonne of.)

Plenty of guys over 25/26 who should stay at the club but also not crucial for us in building a side to attack for a flag. Anyone, except for Roo, and the guys I named at the start should be considered tradeable for us IMO.

Billings, Dunstan, Weller, Acres, Longer, Delaney & Templeton as new players to the club, showed they may all make the grade. Bruce, Hickey, Ross, Murdoch & Webster are all about there. Add them to the likes of Stevens, Newnes, Armitage & Geary, we are well on the way to exciting times ahead, providing we can get them all on the park together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back