Teams Seattle Seahawks - The 12th Man

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that it's died down a little, can any of you guys compare this to a Premiership? I can remember what Premiership wins feel like, but was probably a bit young and new (around 10 y.o.) to the NFL when we went back to back in 97 and 98. I can't really take much from today as a loss as even though I held faith that we'd win until there was about 5 mins left, but deep down I knew the game was gone after the first snap so it wasn't as hard a loss, and I'm virtually over it even though I realise what a great opportunity it was, given the time we have to get a ring atm...

For me it is different. I grew up going to Arden Street and loved footy since I was 5 (40 now). 96 and 99 were incredible as i was able to attend the game and watch my team do a lap of honour. You felt more a part of it and it was a childhood dream which came true.

I started following Seattle and the NFL in 2003 and this team and game have grown on me and really enjoyed yesterday but it is not on the same level as 96 and 99. NFL and Seattle run a distant 2nd to AFL and my Roos. But in saying that no other sporting team get close to North and Seattle - and I am hoping for the 2014 double!!!!

2005 was disappointing - 1998 was devastating.

Seriously though, I don't know what it is... either the deep connection to the city I feel because it's as important to my wife as my hometown is to me, or just my obsessive tendencies, but this is on par with any of the Cats premierships to me.

I think if I had to choose between a Cats flag and a Seahawks Lombardi, the Cats would slightly edge out the Hawks. But only slightly.

Congrats Seahawk fans… lap it up. Be graceful. BE HUMBLE!! Appreciate the heartbreak of what the 'distraught Bronco fan' is going thru. It was only less than a decade ago yinz old school Seahawk fans were in the same boat when 'controversial decisions by the officials, BIG PLAYS by the Steelers and that fatal Hasselback direct interception' = Nightmare.

Be careful not to get ahead of yourselves either.. SUPER BOWLS are never a given, to get there, let alone WIN them. The Seahawks will be the HUNTED. The GLORY of having followed your team who deserved their Immortality on the back of DEFENSIVE greatness amongst other marvellous performances by the O just understated what a Complete Performance is all about !!! So many SB Champs haven't returned to the play-offs like the 2012 Champs…. the AFC North, Ravens. The Niners will continue to be pressing hard next season. Take nothin' for GRANTED. But ENJOY the off-season regardless.
0.jpg

It's not that bad Woodson, by the time the game was over we had known deep down it was over for 4 hours (although I maintained we could still win when we were down 36-0), that first snap had Lombardi written all over it, and we dropped it big time. So instead of seeing the ball fly past Manning's head, picture the Lombardi trophy sliding into the end zone...

:(

For me it is different. I grew up going to Arden Street and loved footy since I was 5 (40 now). 96 and 99 were incredible as i was able to attend the game and watch my team do a lap of honour. You felt more a part of it and it was a childhood dream which came true.

I started following Seattle and the NFL in 2003 and this team and game have grown on me and really enjoyed yesterday but it is not on the same level as 96 and 99. NFL and Seattle run a distant 2nd to AFL and my Roos. But in saying that no other sporting team get close to North and Seattle - and I am hoping for the 2014 double!!!!

2005 was disappointing - 1998 was devastating.

I can vouch for that also.. comparing is pointless also. Sport is sport. Passion is passion. But the length of time in getting to that GLORY is what makes the feeling more special. Of course following a team for a good part of almost two decades before seeing the HOLY GRAIL in their hands… is something of a great personal satisfaction to the fan. As I've followed North for a lot longer than the Steelers… and that number is slowing closing as the AFL have radically changed the way AFL is played as for what I enjoyed immensely back in the day.. but like you have mentioned Wild Bill.. a dream come true ONCE (first time) for the fan is just BLISS. Unforgettable. The journey. The hurdles along the way. The setbacks.. it just shapes you to become a better FAN. A better fan knows what it's like… the humble factor is discovered. The higher appreciation of what the triumph really means.
I prefer to shut down the young / new fan of your own than diss the opponents of the losing team. Nothing is more worse than arrogance in a winning supporter who doesn't have a faintest clue what it takes to see losing seasons/ heartbreak beforehand. Then there are the success starved fans who get ahead of themselves. Mostly because they know their team is thereabouts. Those are the F****** to pour the acid on, in celebrating your WIN with no hint of guilt: i.e.: 1999. :D

It's not that bad Woodson, by the time the game was over we had known deep down it was over for 4 hours (although I maintained we could still win when we were down 36-0), that first snap had Lombardi written all over it, and we dropped it big time. So instead of seeing the ball fly past Manning's head, picture the Lombardi trophy sliding into the end zone...

PU4aUUu.gif

Well... since you asked.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing but it can be a 'sign' at the time. Just never anticipated that such a hiccup would be as what it become. I recall that the Seahawks fans were F****** over in SB XL in the first Q… but that botched decision didn't derail their chances. Neither did the first play safety. It's like saying Team A gets out of the box to a 3 score lead (do you fret?? NO!!) We're seen a boatload of comebacks or near comebacks in many sports with 'windows of opportunities' to pull closer… that's the great thing about sports.. every situation/ game presents a different conundrum. Opportunities can be incredibly limited for some teams but they still take their chances. The Broncos opportunities were such, as mounting a comeback just that they were thwarted.. because with the same 'window of opportunity' by the Seahawk D & ST, who capitalised instead. That's the way it goes. Peyton had little to do with the loss. The Seahawks D hit Peyton's hand (the window of opportunity opened). Peyton's efforts should not be dismissed but in saying that.. the Seahawks D were highly EFFICIENT. And the Seahawks POISE was their momentum that allowed them to become more clinical.

PU4aUUu.gif

Well... since you asked.

NFL memes.. nothing more, nothing less. just funny for the sake of sticking it to Peyton.. (at this stage) :rolleyes:Here's one for the Seahawk fans who WILL appreciate the GREATNESS of Peyton MANNING (one day) when he enters Canton on the FIRST HOF BALLOT
bigfinger.gif
and the Seahawk fans can turn around and say.. see… we BEAT Peyton's team in a Super Bowl and (hopefully) FEEL about more 'HUMBLED' by the SB win rather than carry on like 'immature tools'…

Meanwhile..
4Gb4x_zps13094856.gif

PU4aUUu.gif

Well... since you asked.
I know, I know, I'm just trying to figure the sense of gratification you have in comparison to something that I can understand like my team winning an AFL premiership. I was to new to the NFL when the Broncos went back to back, and was only just learning about it, still a Broncos fan, but didn't quite understand, I was about 10 and had only just started following Denver so I didn't quite connect to the hardship of the older fans who had seen 4 losing SB's, but for Brisbane we had gone through a few big finals loses on the brink of making a GF, as well as the merging of the Lions and Bears so it was fairly different...

Hindsight is a beautiful thing but it can be a 'sign' at the time. Just never anticipated that such a hiccup would be as what it become. I recall that the Seahawks fans were F****** over in SB XL in the first Q… but that botched decision didn't derail their chances. Neither did the first play safety. It's like saying Team A gets out of the box to a 3 score lead (do you fret?? NO!!) We're seen a boatload of comebacks or near comebacks in many sports with 'windows of opportunities' to pull closer… that's the great thing about sports.. every situation/ game presents a different conundrum. Opportunities can be incredibly limited for some teams but they still take their chances. The Broncos opportunities were such, as mounting a comeback just that they were thwarted.. because with the same 'window of opportunity' by the Seahawk D & ST, who capitalised instead. That's the way it goes. Peyton had little to do with the loss. The Seahawks D hit Peyton's hand (the window of opportunity opened). Peyton's efforts should not be dismissed but in saying that.. the Seahawks D were highly EFFICIENT. And the Seahawks POISE was their momentum that allowed them to become more clinical.
Exactly, even though I knew it would be tough as we were having an off day (an event as bad as that snap didn't happen all year, it just didn't) the person that still thought that we were well in the game when we were down 22-0. Through the middle part of the game we started to string a few possessions together in which we got inside Seattle's 30 yard line, but couldn't capitalise with TD's, due to a number of reasons, having an off day, how well Seattle were playing, our desperate situation etc. If we hadn't of made so many mistakes early, and let them get out to a 2-3 score lead so early on, then I think, without panic, we would have been able to successfully get back in the game...

I am certainly enjoy it but no gloating directed at Denver - the memes and gifs online are amusing but I can only imagine how bad they are feeling. We were there in 2005, I have seen it with the Bombers in 2001. All respect to Denver and at least thier fans aren't turning on thier team. If we beat the 9ers to win the Super Bowl, then there would be a lot of gloating from Seattle fans after what we have copped.

Actually, I don't mind Denver now we beat them. I dislike the 49ers for obvious reasons but generally don't like teams we can't beat. Teams we can beat I don't mind. I only really hate the 9ers and Pittsburgh - the rest I don't care either way.

NFL memes.. nothing more, nothing less. just funny for the sake of sticking it to Peyton.. (at this stage) :rolleyes:Here's one for the Seahawk fans who WILL appreciate the GREATNESS of Peyton MANNING (one day) when he enters Canton on the FIRST HOF BALLOT
bigfinger.gif
and the Seahawk fans can turn around and say.. see… we BEAT Peyton's team in a Super Bowl and (hopefully) FEEL about more 'HUMBLED' by the SB win rather than carry on like 'immature tools'…

Meanwhile..
4Gb4x_zps13094856.gif

I was posting a pretty widely distributed GIF that directly depicts something he joked about in his own post. Plus it's in our own team thread. It's not like I'm spamming the Broncos team thread or even the SB48 thread with GIFs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll admit, some of the gifs were hilariously true, especially that one where the ball was replaced with the Lombardi trophy for that first failed snap

A team that had bothered to understand how Seattle's defense worked and game planned against it wouldnt have worried about going 8-0 down.

However, the exceptionally uninspired Denver coaching, added to Peyton Manning's suspect arm and the lack of a Denver running game meant that once Denver got behind and it was clear their short-passing game wasn't going to win, they simply rolled over.

A team that had bothered to understand how Seattle's defense worked and game planned against it wouldnt have worried about going 8-0 down.

However, the exceptionally uninspired Denver coaching, added to Peyton Manning's suspect arm and the lack of a Denver running game meant that once Denver got behind and it was clear their short-passing game wasn't going to win, they simply rolled over.
We didn't worry about going 8-0 down that's the thing, we kept playing the same game with the short passes

We didn't worry about going 8-0 down that's the thing, we kept playing the same game with the short passes

That would be the short-pass game that Seattle's defense ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner all year ?

Manning's reputation as a not-quite-great quarterback who cannot deliver wins against good defenses is going to be further cemented next year, when he gets to face the terrifying Arizona and San Francisco defenses, as well as the surprisingly nasty St Louis defensive line.

That would be the short-pass game that Seattle's defense ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner all year ?

Manning's reputation as a not-quite-great quarterback who cannot deliver wins against good defenses is going to be further cemented next year, when he gets to face the terrifying Arizona and San Francisco defenses, as well as the surprisingly nasty St Louis defensive line.
Yes, also the only game that we could execute due to how they were playing...

A QB can carry teams in the regular season, not in the postseason though

Yes, also the only game that we could execute due to how they were playing...

A QB can carry teams in the regular season, not in the postseason though

So no plan to move to two tight ends and run it behind a Big package ? No plan to move from short to intermediate passing ? No plan B at all ?

If this really is true, fire your coaching staff.

Agree - he had an incredible year. How long will his body stand up to that pounding he gets. 28 next year - it must take a toll after a while.

Thats a big part of why the front office invested in Turbin and Michael - 'bell cow' running backs get ridden, and then taken to the knackers when their bodies fail.

Not sure if this has been posted - this is every Seahawk touchdown for the last season.

Thanks for posting - I hadn't seen it. It again shows how much of a beast Lynch was.

Zach Miller was also immense all year - very happy we got him from Oakland

Zach Miller was also immense all year - very happy we got him from Oakland

I couldn't believe we stopped using him in the back half of the season. Should have got the ball a lot more than he did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back