Seedsman gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to think he was lacking in his defensive skills & missed too many opportunities in front of goal which I thought he rectified a bit this year. Apparently he got injured & required injections as the reason for his form slump. I agree now that Freeman has gone, we could do with skills & pace. Freeman leaving does mean we could do with more pace. In some respects this sounds quite bizarre given Freeman hasn't played a game yet!

it does but i agree

With Freeman leaving and Karnezis retiring (good at VFL level, senior depth) then perhaps we do need to reconsider the future of Seedsman as some have suggested.

I was hoping this off season we could avoid having major list turnover and start to settle the group after 3 successive years of significant list movement.

But as it stands at present we have removed:

Senior list confirmed (5):
Dwyer
Young
Keeffe
Thomas
Karnezis

Senior list probable (2):
Seedsman*
Freeman*

Rookie confirmed (2):
Manteit
Armstrong

Rookie possible (1):
Gault

So with the addition of the upgraded Frost and newly acquired Treloar that still leaves us with a possible 5 senior list positions to be filled.

That's quite a few players still needed with some valuable picks likely to be off the table already in the deal for Treloar.

So what is going to be our plan of attack?

Take multiple picks into a supposedly shallow draft outside the first 2 rounds, look to trade in other experienced talent or elevate a Cox or Abbott perhaps before there time?

I guess all of the above will be the answer.

As for the rookie spots the club plans on redrafting both Keeffe and Thomas (this season?) if available but if Gault was still to be delisted or one of the above elevated then we're going to have look real hard to find some talent with a possible future in AFL ranks.

We've had great success with rookie selections over the years so it's unwise to think these positions and the decisions surrounding them are unimportant.

*Trade requested.

With Freeman leaving and Karnezis retiring (good at VFL level, senior depth) then perhaps we do need to reconsider the future of Seedsman as some have suggested.

I was hoping this off season we could avoid having major list turnover and start to settle the group after 3 successive years of significant list movement.

Dwyer
Young
Keeffe
Thomas
Karnezis

Seedsman*
Freeman*

Rookie confirmed (2):
Manteit
Armstrong

Rookie possible (1):
Gault

So with the addition of the upgraded Frost and newly acquired Treloar that still leaves us with a possible 5 senior list positions to be filled.

That's quite a few players still needed with some valuable picks likely to be off the table already in the deal for Treloar.

Take multiple picks into a supposedly shallow draft outside the first 2 rounds, look to trade in other experienced talent or elevate a Cox or Abbott perhaps before there time?

As for the rookie spots the club plans on redrafting both Keeffe and Thomas (this season?) if available but if Gault was still to be delisted or one of the above elevated then we're going to have look real hard to find some talent with a possible future in AFL ranks.

We've had great success with rookie selections over the years so it's unwise to think these positions and the decisions surrounding them are unimportant.

*Trade requested.
5 list spots to fill. We have to use 3 picks in the draft with one to be used on Frosty for his upgrade.

That leaves likely 3 more players to bring in and taking only 2 live picks to the draft. Quite possible we go with only 38 or 39 on our senior list in 2016.

Hine and Rendall will be busy boys over the next few weeks.

Dwyer
Young
Keeffe
Thomas
Karnezis

Seedsman*
Freeman*

Rookie confirmed (2):
Manteit
Armstrong

Rookie possible (1):
Gault

*Trade requested.

Talking Seedsman into reconsidering would be a positive step. I expect we'll trade another one or players in apart from Treloar. Gault will stay, its pointless to delist him as he can be retained as a rookie....if he doenst perform next year then hes not promoted.. Doubt we will go in with more than two live picks and perhaps one rookie pick.

We obviously weren't expecting the situation with Thomas and Keeffe and as such it's likely going to force us to seek out and fill an extra two senior list spots.

Right now with the departures of Young, Dwyer, Keeffe and Thomas off the senior list we're younger and less experienced again when we really don't want to be and why looking at other exposed talent besides Treloar is probably the way we need to go this off season even if it's only players two years into the system like an Aish.

For me we have two options.

Either we try to poach other exposed talent like an Aish, Howe etc or we try and gain and retain the best 2015 picks for Freeman and Seedsman and take 2 or 3 picks inside the top 30 or so to the draft.

5 list spots to fill. We have to use 3 picks in the draft with one to be used on Frosty for his upgrade.

That leaves likely 3 more players to bring in and taking only 2 live picks to the draft. Quite possible we go with only 38 or 39 on our senior list in 2016.

IIRC we're already at 39 ...

... But agree, with reports of a shallow draft it'd seem possible we'd go down to 38.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else see it as a mistake getting rid of Dwyer so early?

No although I doubt the club expected all three of Freeman Seedsman and Karnesiz to walk....in light of that they could have offered Dwyer another year, but he would have remained a depth option at best.

Maybe we redraft him?

They seem to be at the races, cant be all that bad.
At least if paul loses his shirt at the races it will be no loss

Maybe we talk him around, hes ok actually

Rockliff, Shaw brothers, Dylan Orval and the other pies guys seem to have strong Beams links rather than Young.

Orval went to Caulfield Grammar with Seedsman. They are best mates, even live together.

Yep at the horse races is a dead giveaway..
Thats a good thing, i think, lol, great place to be (assuming you keep the gambling to a minimum)
My trained eye suggested moonee valley, the wicker seats look moonee valley.

Moonee valleey by the looks of the wicker seats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back