Society & Culture Seinfeld

Remove this Banner Ad

When something from Seinfeld happens in real life I force whoever is around to listen to my explanation of its context within Seinfeld and then I give them a synopsis of the show.

Not long ago at work I was told there was some cake in the kitchen.

Sensing an opportunity I said "I think I'd prefer a muffin."

She said "They're really the same thing."

And boom, I gave her the business: A full rundown of the episode The Pothole. She wasn't impressed...

Anyway, so I was coming along here, and I felt like a piece of cake, you know? But then I thought, it's morning, I should really have a muffin. I like those chocolate chip ones. Then I figured, well, they're really both cake. So I, uh, I sat on that bench for a little while, twenty minutes or an hour, and then I figured, check and see what you were up to.

The 'about nothing' refers to the fact that there's no moral lessons, the characters don't grow or change or learn, etc.

It was kind of a groundbreaking concept for a sitcom at the time.

There was also very little to no traditional story arcs (bar 'The Pilot' storyline), episodes were basically self contained hi-jinx despite there being pretty frequent call backs to previous events

Jerry pretty much laughs the whole way through the show though, if you've seen the bloopers he's always on the edge of losing it.
In truth Jerry is an atrocious actor. You're right - he pretty laughs his way through every episode.

But the script is such solid gold that you can overlook it.

hum.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In truth Jerry is an atrocious actor. You're right - he pretty laughs his way through every episode.

But the script is such solid gold that you can overlook it.

Jerry has come out and said this. Says he can't watch any of the earlier eps as he smiled pretty much the whole way through it.
Doesn't detract from the show though. Still the best thing that has ever been made.

In a TV ocean clogged with s**t, I find it surprising and uplifting that the liferaft genius of Seinfeld is still floating along at primetime, albeit on channel 73. Regular Show and Adventure Time on 99 followed by a double Seinfeld - you can have a solid two hours decent TV each night.

Strangely, the Brits never 'got' Seinfeld. It used to get shown at about 11pm on Sunday nights on BBC2. I know a lot of people who stumbled across a couple of episodes and gave up because they couldn't understand it. (The British snobbery that says that any American comedy must naturally be less clever and witty than any British comedy didn't help - despite the fact that Brits have hardly made any decent sitcoms in 50 years.)

It might be a show about nothing but it requires dedicated viewing at the start to get into the abundant idiosyncrasies. It's so different to other shows of its type.

Jerry has come out and said this. Says he can't watch any of the earlier eps as he smiled pretty much the whole way through it.
Doesn't detract from the show though. Still the best thing that has ever been made.

If anything it makes it better, Jerry is basically the audience in many ways so of course he's gonna laugh at the absurdities of Julia/Richards/Alexander.

Was on one of my nerdy Seinfeld rants at work the other day when something topical come up (was Jackie - "who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on...."), when a Gen Y lad dared to say "it really hasn't aged that well has it?" about the greatest TV show made.

The look of disbelief on my face!!

Was on one of my nerdy Seinfeld rants at work the other day when something topical come up (was Jackie - "who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on...."), when a Gen Y lad dared to say "it really hasn't aged that well has it?" about the greatest TV show made.

The look of disbelief on my face!!

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back