Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Seeing that Mitchell Johnson has now retired, and his 2013-14 Ashes triumph brought back memories of one D.K.Lillee, I thought maybe now would be a good time to pick an Australian Test team from the period 1975-2015.

Here's my team:

1. Justin Langer
2. David Boon
3. Greg Chappell
4. Allan Border (c)
5. Michael Clarke
6. Steve Waugh
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
8. Shane Warne
9. Dennis Lillee
10. Mitchell Johnson
11. Glenn McGrath

12th man-Doug Walters

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Langer
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. Steve Waugh
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Johnson
10. Harris
11. McGrath
12th man: Brett Lee

Hardest to pick was Langer/Warner for 1, picking two out of Johnson, Harris and Lee, as well as not being able to find a spot for Steve Smith.

Bit young so I've only included players that I've watched, hence why they are have played since 2000.

Ryan Harris is stiff.

But when he was fit he is one of the best performing bowlers we have ever had.

if he had played longer I would have selected him over Lillee

both had spectacular numbers but harris is a better bloke, a better batting average and still managed to intimidate in an era of helmets

- Langer
- Hayden
Could have picked Taylor for his captaincy, but rate Langer and Hayden higher as batsmen, plus they know how to bat together. Slater is a step behind Langer, while Warner could replace Langer in the years to come.
- Ponting
A given, though Boon was a fine servant.
- G Chappell
A given
- Border*
Clarke is a bit unlucky, but Border was as hard-as-nails, propping up weak Australian batting lineups in unbelievably hostile environments quite regularly.
- S Waugh
Hussey is a bit unlucky, but one cannot overlook Waugh's record. In Waugh's younger days he also bowled useful fast mediums.
- Gilchrist+
A given.
- Warne
A given.
- Gillespie
The most contentious choice of the lot. At his best Gillespie could take wickets in all conditions. He could move it both ways at express pace or just below, generate reverse swing and rarely bowled garbage. He also showed great strength to come back from serious early career injuries (but then so did Johnson). Johnson is a better batsman and fielder and provides left-arm variety, but I would select Gillespie as a bowler alone - high though Johnson's peaks were, Gillespie was simply much more reliable and bowled with McGrath for years. Reid and Harris were unlucky with injury and with more time at the top I have may have placed either here. McDermott, Alderman, Hughes and Walker were all fine servants with similar records to Johnson but I admit that Johnson's all-round capabilities would place him ahead of these guys.
- Lillee
A given.
- McGrath
A given.

Last edited:
Slater
Langer
Ponting
G Chappell
A Border
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
J Thomson
McGrath

Controversially I am picking Slater ahead of Hayden and Warner to open
I'm sure on stats the other two look better but in terms of game style I loved Slater momentum impact to team. Like the left hand, right hand combination even more.
Pity his personal life went off the rails which meant he lost his spot but I still would pick him. As much as I respect Hayden he seemed to dominate when a lot of bowling quality dropped off in my eyes. Langer impressed me greatly in first test he ever played in dealing with a West Indies attack still as best in world better than anyone in the sensational match. Ponting at 3 I rate our second best bat after Greg Chappell but Chappell batted at 4 a lot of time I seen him so Ponting 3 and Chappell 4 makes perfect sense. Broder at 5 and Steve Waugh at 6 fills out the batting order. Gilchrist is not our best keeper in this period but his batting strength at 7 is just too good to ignore. Warne and Lillee pick themselves as two best bowlers I seen play for Australia. Jeff Thomson like Slater is a bit controversial and I am picking him based on his apparent power in 75 to 78 era which I never saw. Gillespie, Lawson, Johnson, Ryan Harris, McDermott and even Alderman, Fleming and Lee have claims for 4th bowling spot but Thommo gets the gig ahead of them all as the enforcer of express pace as he quickest bowler ever and compliments Lillee and McGrath beautifully, Boon, Mark Waugh, M Clarke, Walter, Hayden stiff to miss out but cannot have everyone. Ian Chappell probably the best captain but these were his twilight years so any of AB or Steve Waugh could do the job. Healy stiff to miss but just love Gilly more for what he can do to an innings late.
All of Waugh, Border and Chappell can be part time bowlers.
Review the team in two years time and if Warner continues to improve in all batting conditions he could replace Slater.

Geoff Lawson led some fairly weak Australian bowling line-ups quite admirably, but I'd hesitate to put him in McDermott's class, for example.

Lee was probably the biggest disappointment of the lot, but I suppose 310 wickets cannot be overlooked entirely.

Fleming and Stuart Clark were fine bowlers, but both played too little.

- Langer
- Hayden
Could have picked Taylor for his captaincy, but rate Langer and Hayden higher as batsmen, plus they know how to bat together. Slater is a step behind Langer, while Warner could replace Langer in the years to come.
- Ponting
A given, though Boon was a fine servant.
- G Chappell
A given
- Border*
Clarke is a bit unlucky, but Border was as hard-as-nails, propping up weak Australian batting lineups in unbelievably hostile environments quite regularly.
- S Waugh
Hussey is a bit unlucky, but one cannot overlook Waugh's record. In Waugh's younger days he also bowled useful fast mediums.
- Gilchrist+
A given.
- Warne
A given.
- Gillespie
The most contentious choice of the lot. At his best Gillespie could take wickets in all conditions. He could move it both ways at express pace or just below, generate reverse swing and rarely bowled garbage. He also showed great strength to come back from serious early career injuries (but then so did Johnson). Johnson is a better batsman and fielder and provides left-arm variety, but I would select Gillespie as a bowler alone - high though Johnson's peaks were, Gillespie was simply much more reliable and bowled with McGrath for years. Reid and Harris were unlucky with injury and with more time at the top I have may have placed either here. McDermott, Alderman, Hughes and Walker were all fine servants with similar records to Johnson but I admit that Johnson's all-round capabilities would place him ahead of these guys.
- Lillee
A given.
- McGrath
A given.

Spot on with the Gillespie choice!

I see someone has posted a team of one-test wonders, but what about a team of spuds?

I nominate Phil Carlson and Trevor Laughlin. Without Packer, the only way those two get near the test team is by hijacking the team bus.

Taylor (c)
Hayden
Ponting
G.Chappell
Border
S.Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
Thomson
McGrath

Taylor for his captaincy, not to mention a fine opening bat..

Jeff Thomson. No-one can leave the fastest, most intimidating bowler in history out when he was at his very best. He was brutal. England and the West Indies will testify to that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner
Boon
Ponting
G Chappell
A Border
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
Johnson
McGrath

Warner has done enough to push out the others IMO. Boon started as an opener and was the best bat in the world back when test matches were competitive. Slater misses because of his noggin but was the most talented after Warner IMO. Hayden misses as couldn't do it everywhere against everyone. 3,4 and 5 pick themselves. Clarke more talented than Waugh but Waugh ten times tougher.

Warne, DK and McGrath pick themselves.

Johnson has the best strike rate out of the others, is a leftie, a good bat and fielder and gets the nod. Basically a left armed version of Thommo for shock and awe but with better figures gained in more batting friendly conditions.

Gillie a competent and underrated glove man. And the most powerful, destructive and exciting bat since Viv IMO.

Warner
Boon
Ponting
G Chappell
A Border
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
Johnson
McGrath

Warner has done enough to push out the others IMO. Boon started as an opener and was the best bat in the world back when test matches were competitive. Slater misses because of his noggin but was the most talented after Warner IMO. Hayden misses as couldn't do it everywhere against everyone. 3,4 and 5 pick themselves. Clarke more talented than Waugh but Waugh ten times tougher.

Warne, DK and McGrath pick themselves.

Johnson has the best strike rate out of the others, is a leftie, a good bat and fielder and gets the nod. Basically a left armed version of Thommo for shock and awe but with better figures gained in more batting friendly conditions.

Gillie a competent and underrated glove man. And the most powerful, destructive and exciting bat since Viv IMO.

Not that many tougher than Clarke. South Africa last series will testify for that. But, yes, I too went with Waugh as I thought he was even better.

Johnson, for all his speed and intimidation, was still a step below Thommo in that regard.

Taylor (c)
Hayden
Ponting
G.Chappell
Border
S.Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
Thomson
McGrath

Taylor for his captaincy, not to mention a fine opening bat..

Jeff Thomson. No-one can leave the fastest, most intimidating bowler in history out when he was at his very best. He was brutal. England and the West Indies will testify to that.
Watch on YouTube vision of the 1974-75 Ashes series and notice how far back wicketkeeper Rodney Marsh was when receiving Jeff Thomson's deliveries in that series.
'Ashes to ashes, dust to dust
If Lillee don't get you, Thomson must.'

Not that many tougher than Clarke. South Africa last series will testify for that. But, yes, I too went with Waugh.

Johnson, for all his speed and intimidation, was still a step below Thommo in that regard.

Watch Clarke against Shoaib in Perth. Shat himself.

On Thommo. Maybe. He was next for me. But the difference isn't enough to outweigh Mitch's batting, fielding and left armed variation IMO. Mitch had a slightly better strike rate too.

Watch Clarke against Shoaib in Perth. Shat himself.

On Thommo. Maybe. He was next for me. But the difference isn't enough to outweigh Mitch's batting, fielding and left armed variation IMO. Mitch had a slightly better strike rate too.

I saw them both in their prime. Thommo would've been consistently 10kmh quicker and could break a rib, arm or jaw from just short of a length. Didn't always need a bouncer. It was frightening. It was a pity about that shoulder injury that cut him down. Thommo at his best certainly ahead of Johnson. Watching live, you've never seen a keeper or the slips stand so far back for one bowler. Even then he'd get a bouncer past the batsman's nose, over the keeper's head and half volley it into the fence. The look on the English batsman's face was priceless. Just demoralised for the rest of the series.

I'd have Johnson similar with Merv.

I watched Clarke against Morkel in South Africa. With his bad back he got smashed physically from pillar to post, hit all over the place from a barrage of bouncers yet went on to make a great century.

Mark Taylor
David Boon
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Stephen Waugh
Alan Border
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Jeff Thomson
Glen McGrath

Rod Marsh unlucky as Gilchrist is a star batsman, Marsh a far superior glove man though.
Would love to of had Kim Hughes in there as he w as a star before captaincy and the Windies wore him down.

Bowling attack was a no brainer.

Watch on YouTube vision of the 1974-75 Ashes series and notice how far back wicketkeeper Rodney Marsh was when receiving Jeff Thomson's deliveries in that series.
'Ashes to ashes, dust to dust
If Lillee don't get you, Thomson must.'

I'll go one better. I was at the MCG Boxing Day in 1975 watching from side-on. Couldn't see the ball and the keeper stood back way further than for any other bowler I have seen by a long way. Just stunned how far back the keeper and slips stood.

I saw them both in their prime. Thommo would've been consistently 10kmh quicker and could break a rib, arm or jaw from just short of a length. Didn't always need a bouncer. It was frightening. It was a pity about that shoulder injury that cut him down. Thommo at his best certainly ahead of Johnson. Watching live, you've never seen a keeper or the slips stand so far back for one bowler. Even then he'd get a bouncer past the batsman's nose, over the keeper's head and half volley it into the fence. The look on the English batsman's face was priceless. Just demoralised for the rest of the series.

I'd have Johnson similar with Merv.

I watched Clarke against Morkel in South Africa. With his bad back he got smashed physically from pillar to post, hit all over the place from a barrage of bouncers yet went on to make a great century.

Fair enough. I didn't see Thommo at his peak. But I'd still have Mitch well ahead of Merv though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back