Selling hope Collingwood style.

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
In other words using the line of logic employed regarding collingwood's future.. They are as close to carlton and the lions as they are to the Bulldogs

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
We all knew Collingwood were crap and it showed as soon as they had to play half decent opposition. Geelong are completely cooked... if the Saints can draw with them then Collingwood can certainly beat them. Buckley has once again taken the youngest premiership side of all time further backwards.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
Clubs in rebuild mode like the Pies are should never give out a specific timeframe on their next premiership IMO.

PykeDream

Only the Betts
Sep 2, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think it's excessively ambitious in the context of the hyperbole we see on a regular basis in AFL-land.

With the way they've traded and drafted, you'd think they'd return as a powerhouse sooner or later. All that's needed is to pump some more games into their currently under experienced youngsters and hope they don't lose whole seasons like Scharenberg has.

What's hurt them is the uncertainty around key-posiition players. Reid and Brown with long term injuries, Keefe gone, Cloke only slightly improving on his 2013-14 form as the million dollar net-negative. They'll probably swindle another 'feeder club' for a replacement.

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Well the other option is to say we are s**t, no good, won't challenge for at least 5 years. Carlton and other clubs do that but it's just not the Collingwood way.

The media dosent give carlton a choice unlike other clubs

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe it's Carlton who don't give the media a choice to give Carlton a choice?

Carlton to share the blame also..but not sure if many club come close in terms of negative media attention leveled at the blues.

I recall the day the wada appeal was announced, the 4 main stories on the Hun website were;

-poor bombers dragged back into cruel investigation
-Eddie betts left because cruel Carlton didn't look after him
-jobe Watson can't believe poor players are subjected to investigation
-Malthouse must step aside
-ex Carlton players playing so well outside of cruel carlton

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
The media dosent give carlton a choice unlike other clubs
You sound like an Essendon supporter.

Yeah it is the media's fault that Carlton are sh1t, nothing to do with the club going the short cut and bringing in a washed up old man on huge $$$$, the club having absolutely no vision with their list management and being awful at developing talent. And now their young highly rated players all want out - Menzel, Yaz, Henderson and Kreuzer - everybody can smell what Carlton is cooking, it ain't pleasant.

Collingwood on the other hand can sell hope, we finished exactly where we should this year, beating teams below us reasonably convincingly, and falling just short of the top clubs....continual improvement (the selling of hope bit) should see us turn a few of those losses into wins next year.

Mar 23, 2014
Leningrad
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Partiya Lenina
The subtle regeneration of this list is something to behold and they've definitely overachieved this year.

It feels like Elliott and Grundy have been around forever, Scharenberg and Moore look like they've played 50 games and Adams, Langdon, Marley, Crisp, Fasolo, De Goey, Kennedy, Broomhead all look very solid. They'll develop into a brilliant side courtesy of their robust, young spine (Cloke, Reid, Frost, Grundy, Brown and others) plus Keeffe was a promising KPP. Only question is whether they'll be able to match it with a firing GC/GWS in 2017-2019.

The only hiccup along the trajectory of this Collingwood list since 2007 was failing to win back to back. I'd be disappointed if my team were up by nearly 4 goals in the 2nd quarter of a GF with the opposition's 2nd key forward subbed out and we went on to lose by 6 goals. They were a much scarier side in 2011...shame it all went a bit haywire at the end of the season with injuries/lack of continuity/gambling/Malthouse etc.

It's painful to admit, but they are in a really good spot. The only reason people like to have a crack is because they have it in for FIGJAM.

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
You sound like an Essendon supporter.

Yeah it is the media's fault that Carlton are sh1t, nothing to do with the club going the short cut and bringing in a washed up old man on huge $$$$, the club having absolutely no vision with their list management and being awful at developing talent. And now their young highly rated players all want out - Menzel, Yaz, Henderson and Kreuzer - everybody can smell what Carlton is cooking, it ain't pleasant.

Collingwood on the other hand can sell hope, we finished exactly where we should this year, beating teams below us reasonably convincingly, and falling just short of the top clubs....continual improvement (the selling of hope bit) should see us turn a few of those losses into wins next year.

Absolutely no different to Buckley tearing apart a premiership team and replacing them with Quentin lynch, Clinton young, Jordan Russel, Armstrong, Jesse white and co. And for all that you are 18 points ahead of the blues. Media perception will make you think otherwise though.

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
If we go ahead and add old mate wetering in, all of a sudden our under 23's don't look too different

Weitering Moore
Buckley Williams
Cripps Scharenberg
Graham De goey
Menzel Grundy
Holman Maynard
Dick. Marsh
Jacksh Langdon
Docherty Kennedy
Whiley Crisp
Boekhurst Broomhead
Byrne Ramsay

Jan 29, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely no different to Buckley tearing apart a premiership team and replacing them with Quentin lynch, Clinton young, Jordan Russel, Armstrong, Jesse white and co. And for all that you are 18 points ahead of the blues. Media perception will make you think otherwise though.

By this 'logic' we're only a goal or so behind the Hawks, things are looking good.

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
The irony of football.

The team that has won the equal most premierships this century is on the bottom, the two teams that have won the most flags are down there too. The team which has one zero flags is on top yet somehow Carlton and Essendon are still the best :drunk:

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we go ahead and add old mate wetering in, all of a sudden our under 23's don't look too different

Weitering Moore
Buckley Williams
Cripps Scharenberg
Graham De goey
Menzel Grundy
Holman Maynard
Dick. Marsh
Jacksh Langdon
Docherty Kennedy
Whiley Crisp
Boekhurst Broomhead
Byrne Ramsay
Adams, Witts, Elliott, Oxley... Miles behind, even after you added someone who's not even on your list yet.

We could then compare our 23 to 26 year olds, but that would be extremely embarrassing.

Back