2nds Semi Final: Port Adelaide vs Norwood - @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a few observations now that i'm back home.....for my own piece of mind and as an aid to put this game behind me, my own form of therapy so feel free to ignore this post.

As soon as our players ran out on the ground the 'no AFL in the SANFL' comments started......from people wearing Crows tops.....

Really disappointing result. Some people think ruckmen are over rated. Tonight's game was proof of their importance. We used inexperienced key position or utility players against two experienced ruckmen when we needed those same players in attacking or defensive positions. Even when we roved to their rucks Norwood had set up to lay the defensive tackles to cause stoppage after stoppage until Baulderstone would set their attacking midfielder up and they would therefore win that clearance.

Turnovers in the centre corridor gifted Norwood the majority of their goals.

As Ford mentioned the Magpies are now definitely an AFL reserves side. If we were only concerned with winning we wouldn't be trying to implement our AFL game plan against them. For at least 3 years Norwood have been using the exact same game plan of basically flooding back and waiting to kill teams on the turnover. At no stage did we try implementing a plan to counter theirs like going one on one for a while or try clogging their forward Fifty for a while or etc, etc
Underdone players like Heath would never have returned in a crucial final if winning was the only priority. Finals would never have been used solely as learning experiences for novices like the Flying Flynn who doesn't understand the game, etc.

Ben Haren's recent form in any position has been underwhelming to say the least. I personally don't question his non-selection.

Yeah one scintillating quarter of football out of four won't win many finals.

South were awesome today.

Norwood supporters are some of the biggest ferals going around.
People were actually there wearing crows tops?
Ridiculous!I guess they were just anti Port mob?

Well :eek:

Another shambolic effort. After the first decent quarter in about 2 months, with their superior fitness, etc they should have cantered away with that game.

Instead they packed up the bat and ball and went home in the last qtr :mad:

Since Buddha's infamous "we are not here to win flags" comment things have spiralled.

South will trounce them on last night's performance :oops:

Everyone who has been singing Clurey's praises and saying he must be in the AFL should have been quietened by that performance. Bad kicks across the ground in the first quarter gifted them two goals and he wasn't especially good in providing any drive out of defence. The first half was absolutely appalling in turnovers, they got 4, maybe 5 goals directly from turnovers inside their 50 or one kick out of it.
The Sunday Mail had him in their best players! Made many mistakes early but I thought he settled down. Some of his kicks in the second half were 'centremetre perfect'.

45 power contracted players + 15 magpies contracted players = 60 players.

**** I hope we have somewhere between 8 to 10 genuine ruckmen in our squad next year.

Where would 10 ruckman play?

The Sunday Mail had him in their best players! Made many mistakes early but I thought he settled down. Some of his kicks in the second half were 'centremetre perfect'.

I thought he was poor. He needs to improve his pace over the first 5 metres to make it at afl level

Did they spell it that way? What I would expect of the Sunday Mail. In fact what I expect of most of the media. Simon Reeve was on telly today demonstrating a laptop that made a noise like a typewriter. The sentence he used had three "I"s in it and he failed to use the capital. He also missed the apostrophe in I'm. Maybe this might seem picky but he is a journalist.

Did they spell it that way? What I would expect of the Sunday Mail. In fact what I expect of most of the media. Simon Reeve was on telly today demonstrating a laptop that made a noise like a typewriter. The sentence he used had three "I"s in it and he failed to use the capital. He also missed the apostrophe in I'm. Maybe this might seem picky but he is a journalist.
Anal

Cant agree - The big fellas would be a ok at afl level - has the fitness and skills
would much rather we at least rookie draft alex barn, 20 years old 198 cm, mobile, has the skills, can play up forward, good set shot, he is very similar to lycett in the way he plays. baulderstone is similar to micklejohn in the way he is very good at sanfl level, but hasnt got the game to compete at afl level. i might be wrong but i feel barns is more the afl style ruckman, with a huge upside. baulderstone would be a great pick up for the maggies, but i dont think he will cut it at afl level and the more athletic ruckman in that league will jump all over him.

:mad:

Since Buddha's infamous "we are not here to win flags" comment things have spiralled.

:oops:

This what a dumb thing to say...I would be ropeable if I was a Port supporter. He just doesn't give a s**t about Magpie suporters saying that.
Respect to those who still follow the magpies...loads seem to have dropped off.

Anyway good luck next week fellas...a port v norwood gf at AO would be epic...

Love the dream of an Irishman playing for Port but Flynn is not the man. I can hear the cries of 'but but but' -
No 'but but but' from me. Flynn's performance in the Glenelg game sealed my view on this experiment. His being caught holding the ball (Q2?) last night was crazy clueless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was poor. He needs to improve his pace over the first 5 metres to make it at afl level
I thought that was one of his strengths in the draft combine and why we picked him. Am surprised he doesn't move better and agree he doesn't look that quick off the mark

No 'but but but' from me. Flynn's performance in the Glenelg game sealed my view on this experiment. His being caught holding the ball (Q2?) last night was crazy clueless.
He certainly has a massive learning curve. Should learn to play in the magpie reserves. Don't see him as a back. Put him on a forward flank

Love the dream of an Irishman playing for Port but Flynn is not the man. I can hear the cries of 'but but but' -
Looked at the performance of that other Irishman, Pearce Hanley. His first 3 years were not all that illustrious but we must remember that Brisbane had a few midfield choices at that time (2008-2010) and he was not likely to get all that many opportunities. Whatever the final decision with Flynn this is his first year and he has shown a bit in ability, he just needs to work on theory and realise that this is not Gaelic football, you can be tackled.

Where would 10 ruckman play?

Why do you assume all of them will be available every round of the season? Thats the point, over the last few years a lot of them have been injured for many weeks at a time.

If you have them all available, you play some in the academy side some in derence some in attack and you give some a rest and manage their workload.

Lets have one season when we have too bloody many than our usual effort of not enough.

Looked at the performance of that other Irishman, Pearce Hanley. His first 3 years were not all that illustrious but we must remember that Brisbane had a few midfield choices at that time (2008-2010) and he was not likely to get all that many opportunities. Whatever the final decision with Flynn this is his first year and he has shown a bit in ability, he just needs to work on theory and realise that this is not Gaelic football, you can be tackled.
Hanley is a super player and had footy smarts from day one.

No Clurey was not good. Giving away 3 goals which really was 4 goals, does not get ecused by a better second half when your team had to bust its butt to get back into the game and have not much left fight with in the last quarter.

Flynn is a project. He's got skills but he's clueless. For several weeks he's been clueless and as much as the rules say we can only play him in the league side it doesn't mean we must play him in the major round.

It almost feels pointless following the Magpies with all these restrictions and Hocking's stupid words that Keith Thomas could not convincingly cover up.

Hocking's teams flood, they send all 18 players behind the centreline ... but that's not my criticism ... the criticism is that these amateur opposition players are still unchecked by 5 metres and still able to hit their targets with their limited skills!!! This is all inside only a half of the field!!! How is this bloody possible??

I'm glad to not see Sam Russell selected.

Why was Hitchcock not selected?

Last edited:
Hanley is a super player and had footy smarts from day one.
He played 12 games in his first 3 years and averaged 10 disposals a game. My point is you persevere with players who look to have something and I have seen some very good things in Flynn, it's just they don't come out all that often. His selection as an overseas rookie also means he does not count towards the salary cap.

He played 12 games in his first 3 years and averaged 10 disposals a game. My point is you persevere with players who look to have something and I have seen some very good things in Flynn, it's just they don't come out all that often. His selection as an overseas rookie also means he does not count towards the salary cap.

It's nothing to do with Hanley, nothing to do with Flynn's skills. He just is not cut out for league sanfl and especially finals, at the moment. Should not be selected.

Of course I hope it comes back to bite me ... but I doubt it ... Flynn should not be selected. Hime and Clurey cost us the game. Clurey can bounce back, Flynn can't.

Last edited:
This what a dumb thing to say...I would be ropeable if I was a Port supporter. He just doesn't give a s**t about Magpie suporters saying that.
Respect to those who still follow the magpies...loads seem to have dropped off.

Anyway good luck next week fellas...a port v norwood gf at AO would be epic...
Yes a heap of us were really pissed with those comments , ensures that the few of us left that still go to Maggies games will start wondering why .

Geez, I thought the Butcher stuff was bad. Flynn isn't up to playing consistently good football at senior SANFL level after having played about 10-15 games of Aussie Rules in his life? Spud, delist :drunk:

Just not up to playing in the major round unless we are half serious about winning this flag.

I don't have a problem with people saying that. It's the people writing off his entire career that I have a problem with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back