Politics Senator Ludlam welcomes Tony Abbott to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

I could be wrong but doesn't South Australia have huge potential for geothermal power?

You mean, the power generation system that works by the same principles as fracking (which is supposedly a bad thing).

I could be wrong but doesn't South Australia have huge potential for geothermal power?

yes it does but the rocks hot enough are in the north of SA whilst the rocks closer to the markets are not. We sunk $15m into geodynamics many years back as an R&D investment, offsetting gains elsewhere, in an endeavour to learn about the industry. The industry has a lot of potential globally but looks to hard here.

I prefer wave technology in oz but that still has some challenges, specifically in material science. If they can crack a material that barnacles and sea growth doesn't grow then it will work. The solution for that may lie in nature and turtle shells.

You mean, the power generation system that works by the same principles as fracking (which is supposedly a bad thing).

in fact it is a natural nuclear reactor (uranium heating up rocks, fracking the rocks and injecting water to create steam). The big issue is the fracking clogs up over time.

yes it does but the rocks hot enough are in the north of SA whilst the rocks closer to the markets are not. We sunk $15m into geodynamics many years back as an R&D investment, offsetting gains elsewhere, in an endeavour to learn about the industry. The industry has a lot of potential globally but looks to hard here.

I prefer wave technology in oz but that still has some challenges, specifically in material science. If they can crack a material that barnacles and sea growth doesn't grow then it will work. The solution for that may lie in nature and turtle shells.

To me wave power is such a huge untapped resource in Australia. I mean something like 90% of our population lives within 200km of the sea and at night when the waves are at their strongest is when we would need wave power the most. I heard about wave power and its potential 15 years ago but not enough money has been put into its development which is a massive shame.

in fact it is a natural nuclear reactor (uranium heating up rocks, fracking the rocks and injecting water to create steam). The big issue is the fracking clogs up over time.

Nah, it's supposedly the earths core...Which is only somewhat due to nuclear, mostly it's just hot due to pressure and movement, but yeah, they can't work out how to make it work longer term and the research is basically following the fracking research.

Right now if every Australian household was on a 5KW system (supposedly that is a system big enough to wipe out a $2000 annual power bill) then Australia's energy usage would be dramatically lower. In regards to the prices for energy that industries use well as of this moment that is not something I can predict as I imagine if most Australians are using solar in their homes then it will dramatically increase the prices of other forms of electricity so over time solar will get cheaper and cheaper and coal will get more and more expensive.

As for nuclear energy I think Lucus Heights is a tiny nuclear reactor. If something went wrong there while the results would not be good as such they would be no where near as bad than if a nuclear power station had a melt down.

I think the safety of nuclear reactors is no longer an issue.

when was the last time someone died from a nuclear power incident? when was the last time a reactor not designed and built in the 50s or 60s killed someone.

For me, the nuclear debate will be answered by global jurisdictions like China and Australia will have the luxury of deciding whether it wants to keep up.

Nah, it's supposedly the earths core...Which is only somewhat due to nuclear, mostly it's just hot due to pressure and movement, but yeah, they can't work out how to make it work longer term and the research is basically following the fracking research.

hot granites are definitely uranium and also the source of most of our uranium deposits

I think Italy is different and uses volcanic rocks but in Oz our core is much much deeper.

Last edited:
I think the safety of nuclear reactors is no longer an issue.

when was the last time someone died from a nuclear power incident? when was the last time a reactor not designed and built in the 50s or 60s killed someone.

For me, the nuclear debate will be answered by global jurisdictions like China and Australia will have the luxury of deciding whether it wants to keep up.

Maybe thorium as that is a lot safer and easier to get rid of once it has been used but to me one of the big issues with uranium is that the toxic waste is so hard to manage.

Maybe thorium as that is a lot safer and easier to get rid of once it has been used but to me one of the big issues with uranium is that the toxic waste is so hard to manage.

You will find it is not hard to manage. 30 years in cooling, then reprocessing. The remainder wrapped in copper and stored below the oxidation level.

You want to keep access open to the copper wrapped waste, as you will want to retrieve and reprocess.

The two major reasons why the myth exists is:
1) the cold war and anti-nuclear lobby groups; and
2) gen 4 reactors have not been built which burn much of the waste of gen 3. The reasons why they haven't been built is economics and not enough feed (being the waste of 3s). but that will quickly change given the 30 year rule.

but hey, if thorium wins........great

I just want to move away from coal asap

http://www.geodynamics.com.au/Resource-Centre/Geothermal-FAQ.aspx
Why are the granites so hot?
Two factors are involved: the nature of the granites themselves, and the sedimentary rock layers above the granites.
High heat producing granites, such as those beneath Innamincka, contain small quantities of naturally occurring radiogenic minerals (potassium, uranium and thorium) which, through radiogenic decay, heat the granite.
This heat is trapped inside these granites by an overlying blanket of insulating rocks, particularly coal layers.

but hey, if thorium wins........great

I just want to move away from coal asap

I agree we need to get away from coal. In regards to Thorium it looks like China and a number of other countries are either building thorium reactors or are getting very close to building them. In terms of nuclear energy they are the future while uranium is the past. I would prefer not to go for either as I think renewable energies are better long term but if we had to go for one I would much rather us go for the safer kind of nuclear energy. Plus Australia has like 18.7% of the worlds supply of thorium so we will have no trouble getting it.

The reason electricity prices have sky rocketed is because of the ludicrous investment unnecessary infrastructure,the electricity companies are on the guvment teat by virtue of the gauranteed 10% return on spend.
The price of power - Background Briefing - ABC Radio ...

Despite the clear reality of falling demand, the network companies insisted that demand was rising, and they carried on investing billions of dollars into the grid. Every dollar of that investment is now being recovered from consumers, via our power bills. Every dollar, plus ten per cent—a guaranteed return granted to them by the regulator.

In 2012, three years after the spending began, the Senate held an inquiry into electricity prices. It was chaired by Labor MP, Matt Thistlethwaite.

'What we found was those network businesses—that earned the most profits were the ones that invested the most,' he says. 'So there was a perverse incentive in the system for an overinvestment in the poles and wires, and that led to dramatic profits for those businesses, but of course it was the consumer that paid for that cost of that additional capital.'

..and now nuclear power and the resultant waste is safe and easy to handle:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Helen Caldicott, MD: Home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason electricity prices have sky rocketed is because of the ludicrous investment unnecessary infrastructure,the electricity companies are on the guvment teat by virtue of the gauranteed 10% return on spend.

Despite the clear reality of falling demand, the network companies insisted that demand was rising, and they carried on investing billions of dollars into the grid. Every dollar of that investment is now being recovered from consumers, via our power bills. Every dollar, plus ten per cent—a guaranteed return granted to them by the regulator.

In 2012, three years after the spending began, the Senate held an inquiry into electricity prices. It was chaired by Labor MP, Matt Thistlethwaite.

'What we found was those network businesses—that earned the most profits were the ones that invested the most,' he says. 'So there was a perverse incentive in the system for an overinvestment in the poles and wires, and that led to dramatic profits for those businesses, but of course it was the consumer that paid for that cost of that additional capital.'

..and now nuclear power and the resultant waste is safe and easy to handle:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The sooner we get politics out of energy, the sooner we can see the winners and losers based on commercial realities rather than votes

who would have thought democracy was so expensive

Why not look at the stats? even including 1950s and 60s technology it is safer then renewables. Then consider like for like for modern technology then I not sure if nuclear has a death recorded.

but please feel free to post something relevant.

lol

"The worst-case scenario following the Fukushima meltdown – evacuating everybody within a 250-kilometre radius of the site (including Tokyo’s 50 million inhabitants), almost came to pass."

yeah, by a tsunami! Fukushima was a major event in the nuclear industry.

but let's not forget this was a 1950s design built in the 60s and the deaths were caused by a FN BIG WAVE!

Shall we compare 1950s solar, wind and hydo?

Another feel good ALP/Green policy decision with no thought or control over it's implementation.

I just read through her website. She must be spewing the cold war is over.

She has done well earning a living by creating fear. If only reality married her statements.

and yet it happened in all states around the same time?

Power went national with the national grid.

It did all happen at largely the same time but not in 2009. Look at this graph on the first page

http://www.esaa.com.au/Library/Page...93840aa1f/121017_Electricity_Price_Growth.pdf

From 1990 to around 2000 the prices of electricity remained largely unchanged but from 2000 onwards it skyrocketed. Does anyone know what happened in March 2000 as that is when every state started going up?

It did all happen at largely the same time but not in 2009. Look at this graph on the first page

http://www.esaa.com.au/Library/Page...93840aa1f/121017_Electricity_Price_Growth.pdf

From 1990 to around 2000 the prices of electricity remained largely unchanged but from 2000 onwards it skyrocketed. Does anyone know what happened in March 2000 as that is when every state started going up?

The national electricity grid/market started in Dec 1998, with more states coming on as time went on.

Truly?

You think boring a hole n the ground and implanting a sealed geo-thermal probe is similar to pumping thousands of litres of toxic substances into the water table over as much as a decade?
You show the same cognitive qualities as Tony Abbott when discussing...the internet, broadband, global warming, that invisible weightless non-existent gas carbon dioxide or that invisible weightless sky fairy he lives his life by.
Bravo.

The national electricity grid/market started in Dec 1998, with more states coming on as time went on.
Deregulation of the electricity industry happened, causing duplication of services, administration and a massive increase in advertising costs and marketing staff, which in effect pushed the price up rather than having the claimed effect of reducing said price.
Something no Government has ever seemed to get it's collective head around.
Aus Post
Telecom
etc etc etc....
Nice one off windfall for Government, eternity of higher costs to consumers.

PS Indict Vodafone Extortionate campaigners.

I just read through her website. She must be spewing the cold war is over.
She has done well earning a living by creating fear. If only reality married her statements.
Fairly simple;you contend it's safe she is one of many who insist otherwise.
Certain games aren't worth playing!
In addition to all your other horseshit you're now saying you know how to store nuclear waste safely!!
You've kept that secret from the rest of the world.
Your technology is doubtless patented and tested.
You claim your contentions are welded to reality but continue to sound wobbly in the head.
It's like swimming through porridge.I'll join all the others who decline to engage with your fantasy.

Fairly simple;you contend it's safe she is one of many who insist otherwise.
Certain games aren't worth playing!
In addition to all your other horseshit you're now saying you know how to store nuclear waste safely!!
You've kept that secret from the rest of the world.
Your technology is doubtless patented and tested.
You claim your contentions are welded to reality but continue to sound wobbly in the head.
It's like swimming through porridge.I'll join all the others who decline to engage with your fantasy.

the stats speak for themselves.

her position was probably valid in 1960 and 1970. unfortunately the world has moved on but she hasn't.

please feel free to provide valid stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back