Serious breach of duty of care clause.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2004
Phuket
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Scorpions West Ham
A quick question, is this new clause only added to Essendon players contracts or do all AFL players have this added to their contracts.

A quick question, is this new clause only added to Essendon players contracts or do all AFL players have this added to their contracts.
Been there a long time.

Before you could walk and had to go to the draft.

Now you can be a delisted free agent and choose where to go. But applies to all clubs.

thats the new clause, yes ? what the AFLPA had been chasing for several years.
Yes. but whether it would apply to Ryder isn't confirmed. It's not like most here think of a player just choosing to invoke it.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Yes. but whether it would apply to Ryder isn't confirmed. It's not like most here think of a player just choosing to invoke it.

Some would argue that just not having full records of what Ryder was injected with at the behest of the club is a serious breech of duty of care.

Some would argue that just not having full records of what Ryder was injected with at the behest of the club is a serious breech of duty of care.
Some argue - Peter Gordon for example - that said person continued in their job for a further 2 years and did not want to walk away etc, what causes it now. - incidently that is part of the issue with Essendon's case against ASADA not challenging a rule early enough.

Not saying it couldn't be warranted, just it is far more complex than most think.

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some argue - Peter Gordon for example - that said person continued in their job for a further 2 years and did not want to walk away etc, what causes it now. - incidently that is part of the issue with Essendon's case against ASADA not challenging a rule early enough.

Not saying it couldn't be warranted, just it is far more complex than most think.

good point, although if infractions are issued that would change things.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

Isn't Ryder entitled to change his mind?
Especially if his wife is beginning to get concerned?

The fact that Ryder may have not cared in the past does not mean it's no longer a failure in Essendon's duty of care.

Isn't Ryder entitled to change his mind?
Especially if his wife is beginning to get concerned?

The fact that Ryder may have not cared in the past does not mean it's no longer a failure in Essendon's duty of care.
I think that is a complex answer rally. As I said, I'm not saying it woudn't get up, it isn't a simple though as the HTB seem to think in a legal sense.

Part of Essendon's issue with their court case was Middleton believed players should have questioned the AFL's rights to compel during the interview.

I just think plenty from both sides seem misunderstand it. I'm not saying he wouldn't be enabled - just there is more to the question than most knoe

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

He could argue he thought he was getting Vitamin C injections and until it was proven otherwise had no reason for concern since the investigation he now does.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I think that is a complex answer rally. As I said, I'm not saying it woudn't get up, it isn't a simple though as the HTB seem to think in a legal sense.

Part of Essendon's issue with their court case was Middleton believed players should have questioned the AFL's rights to compel during the interview.

I just think plenty from both sides seem misunderstand it. I'm not saying he wouldn't be enabled - just there is more to the question than most knoe

You position is pretty fair.

I'm also not convinced it's something either party really want to test out in court.
Chance are a trade is going to end up going through for a bit less than Ryder's value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
He could argue he thought he was getting Vitamin C injections and until it was proven otherwise had no reason for concern since the investigation he now does.
Bit hard to argue that given the signed consent forms which made reference to "thymosin", etc

You position is pretty fair.

I'm also not convinced it's something either party really want to test out in court.
Chance are a trade is going to end up going through for a bit less than Ryder's value.
Agree.

The feeling I get with Ryder is part of the decision of where he goes will be who offers the best (or, an acceptable) deal with Essendon, keep both sides happy.

Bit hard to argue that given the signed consent forms which made reference to "thymosin", etc
I don't think that was his point.
He meant more if he believed he was getting drug A and found he was getting drug B, and only found that out now it would likely be an acceptable breach. If they only got what they signed for well, it becomes difficult.

An infraction would be a likely way out saying you were mislead.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns

Umm return of the coach under which serious breaches of duty of care happened would be sufficient in my view. A coach which is apparent from the court case hold others to blame such as Doc Reid when it happened under his watch.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,

Why not? Spike was adamant they were Vitimins even though he allegedly signed for something else.

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood

But up until SC notices were issued, the player could argue that he believed the club's stance that nothing bad had happened.

stanley86

All Australian
Aug 10, 2007
North East Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
There were massive rumblings and rumours that Paddy wanted out last year but was convinced to stay
Could he also use that basis in his argument? let's say it went along similar lines

PR " I want out, over this crap, don't know what you gave me"
EFC "It's all good mate, it was all legal, here is all the info, ASADA aren't coming near you, your family is perfectly safe"
PR " Ok sounds good, I will stay"

ASADA "Here Mr Ryder, please tell us why you shouldn't be banned for using TB4"
PR "WTF EFC, you told me all was good"
EFC "Yeah yeah, all good, small hiccup, we will get it squashed in court"
Fed Court "ASADA were perfect"
PR "Im out, you have lied to me and I want nothing to do with you"

As DonsRule says, it is highly complex, yet it may hinge on past conversations

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The infraction notices issued will make it clear that Paddy has been misled by the Bombers and if he had the evidence that is clearly available to ASADA that Essendon did mislead him when he signed the previous contract then he would not have signed. It's not even close. Infraction notices get issued Essendon do not have a snowballs chance in hell of holding Paddy to the club. Forget bluster and BS the Bombers PR machine put out forget "you never know what is going to happen in court" it's not remotely close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back