Seymour District Cricket Association (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

No good point, so sides like avenel, alex, broadford, kilmore, eastern hill etc, who have managed to keep players, bleed through juniors and maintain a good club culture suffer because of the few ones that cant. Hell even royals are playing b grade again.
Instead of bitching and moaning about two day cricket id reckon we look into our own clubs and see why blokes aren't staying first and try and fix it up

Broadford have good numbers at senior level, then it drops away dramaticly, there problems may just be starting.
Hill have been struggling for numbers and have failed to feild a Cgrade team a couple of times this year.
Alex have good numbers but then right next door Thornton are in big trouble.
Avenel and Kilmore are travelling along nicely, and thats good because in a few short years time they may just be playing each other on a weekly basis.
Bgrade oneday games will be voted in next season. And that will be a good thing.

If you have a good club that people enjoy hanging around, then there shouldn't be an issue with numbers. I don't see how changing B-Grade to one-dayers will somehow attract all these new players.

All the country cricket leagues of note around our region play two-dayers in lower grades, how would re-formatting the league do anything but weaken our competition? If anything, it would make our league less attractive to any moderately serious cricketer.

I agree with Snakeman. I think clubs should start looking at themselves, and what they can do to help make their club stronger rather than bringing the rest of the league down.

Wow you have waffled out some crap there, My club has heaps that hang around and love the club but we are struggling to field teams.
Yes most of the leagues around us do have two day cricket, but to imply they are all in good shap, can you prove that?
Clubs are looking at there problems and they are trying to fix them, its those clubs that are driving the oneday game format, get it.

Broadford have good numbers at senior level, then it drops away dramaticly, there problems may just be starting.
Hill have been struggling for numbers and have failed to feild a Cgrade team a couple of times this year.
Alex have good numbers but then right next door Thornton are in big trouble.
Avenel and Kilmore are travelling along nicely, and thats good because in a few short years time they may just be playing each other on a weekly basis.
Bgrade oneday games will be voted in next season. And that will be a good thing.
Yeh true, a club that has fielded 4 sides for the last couple of years... in a bit of strife.
E/Hill Continually fielding B grade sides for two dayers....
It just baffles me that bringing down the standard of B grade is the only answer you have because you cant keep hold of your own players....

If you have a good club that people enjoy hanging around, then there shouldn't be an issue with numbers. I don't see how changing B-Grade to one-dayers will somehow attract all these new players.

All the country cricket leagues of note around our region play two-dayers in lower grades, how would re-formatting the league do anything but weaken our competition? If anything, it would make our league less attractive to any moderately serious cricketer.

I agree with Snakeman. I think clubs should start looking at themselves, and what they can do to help make their club stronger rather than bringing the rest of the league down.

yep thats right. put your head in the sand and the problems will go away.

and bring down the standard?! what standard? how good do you think it is from the bottom clubs? ive played 3 games this year and i can tell you that compared to last year the 'standard' has dropped. and will keep doing so. because no one plays cricket any more. and we just keep getting older. at least 1 dayers gives the chance to get a full team most weeks.

and when was the last time any one batted for more than 40 overs in b grade?

A few of you blokes know I used to do the odd spot of umpiring, and basically it was the lack of enjoyment that I stopped doing it. $80 a Satdy was never gunna change my life, but the lack of professionalism and lack of respect to the game starting to sneak in by a few clubs at B-grade level just give me the $hits to be honest in the end.

"It's always someone else's fault never mine or ours" was the attitude and excuse making seeping thru - exact same attitude that is creeping in with some of the next generation.

Mind you I can only comment on what was creeping in at B-grade level, coz in the end my decision making and ability to control a days play musta deteriorated as I could't crack a game in the A's.

The buzz word these days is culture, open your doors up to other idea's, mingle with other clubs in your town/district. Gone are the days where people will just come thru the gate to train just coz your a cricket club - promote yourself, be seen and heard . . . . although Im sure those concerned are already booked in to attend the free workshops currently available for local sporting clubs (recruiting/retaining members and volunteers, management principles, planning for the future, applying for grants etc. etc.)

I dont know the demographic challenge for a club like Thornton, and I feel for them but we cant go down the path of letting the tail wag the dog either. Some sort of sub-committee must be formed to serioulsy look at the future of the SDCA below A-grade or it will go back to one team per club like the period before the 70's.

To be perfectly honest I have no idea what the answer is, yes we all have our beliefs and I too worry like you all or I wouldnt get on here. I was brought up in an era where young lads all wanted to play A-grade cricket and would work their butt off trying. There weren't too many young blokes thru my era that wanted to play C-grade as it was then because it was all one day cricket let alone picked and choosed when they played.

AAAh they were the days :(

Not looking like we will get on again this weekend. Another game gone begging prior to xmas.
Tell you what, im getting sick of having great weather during the week, then once im out of the office finally, on the weekend, its pissing down rain. WTF!!!:confused::(:mad:

Not looking like we will get on again this weekend. Another game gone begging prior to xmas.
Tell you what, im getting sick of having great weather during the week, then once im out of the office finally, on the weekend, its pissing down rain. WTF!!!:confused::(:mad:[/quote

is totally pissing down in nagambie as i post so you guys have no chance..

Tell you what, im getting sick of having great weather during the week, then once im out of the office finally, on the weekend, its pissing down rain. WTF!!!:confused::(:mad:

I know thinking the exact same thing Baz...nothing more frustrating! might have to turn to indoor cricket soon, only way we can get a proper game in :thumbsdown:

The start to the season has worked out perfectly for those who are only keen to play the occasional one day game . . . . . . deep down I knew this debate would work itself out :thumbsu:

looking like another wash out this week. how would the pitches come up being coverd for 3 days if its only a shower or 2 saturday?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looking like another wash out this week. how would the pitches come up being coverd for 3 days if its only a shower or 2 saturday?

I am no curator but i would think if you got them covered befor the pitch is to wet it would be ok. You would need to get some rolling in prior to covering.

no chance of rollind up a deck mon and tuesday...letting it sweat all week under the covers dingo, looks like another washout this week too!!!!!!!! who would have thought so close to xmas that there would only be 2 games with results

Its all of again,talking to a few blokes down towards rook way they had about 185mm in a week

Anybody up Alexandra way reckon the A graders will be getting a game tomorrow...heard about the flooding up that way during the week...would luv to get a game in!

thorn vs royals b grade

royals 74 j cole 35. j williamson 4/15 a phelps 3/9

thornton 9/79 t phelps 21 t dent 19

f

New coach at Broadford is Jason King from Whittlesea, only a young bloke 21 or 22...from my knowledge has played down at whittlesea all his life and can t imagine he has much if any experience on turf...but knowing Kingy like i do...he ll still boast a big game :D :p

Was that the same bloke who played c grade on the weekend against Avenel

You can find them all here, although not all results have been entered.
http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/pages/public/rv/RoundResults.aspx?entityid=3237

The my cricket sit is verygood and would be excellent if clubs and the SDCA would keep it up to date, its still difficult to get scores on a weekly basis from my cricket or the local papers, so please guys how about posting scores on here for us poor pricks that like to have an idea on who's winning or losing.

And a merry Xmas and happy new year to all...

The my cricket sit is verygood and would be excellent if clubs and the SDCA would keep it up to date, its still difficult to get scores on a weekly basis from my cricket or the local papers, so please guys how about posting scores on here for us poor pricks that like to have an idea on who's winning or losing.

And a merry Xmas and happy new year to all...

Bs Royals all out for 40 ( Josh Jones 8 for 20 ) lost to E/Hill 5 for 42

A grade E/Hill 7 for 171 cc def broaford all out for 158.

anyone got a score from seymour alex A grade.

I believe Seymour got 130 odd, Alex then got them 6 wkts down with Hilly getting 80, Joey Pollock's form with the ball for the Maroon's continued with 3/19.

After being held up and not getting to the Yea races I caught the Nagambie innings at Kilmore. Chasing 144 the Lakers looked home before Mitch Winter-Irving and Mark Berens got out, in fact I think Nagambie lost 5/17 to fall 2-3 runs short in the final over. Trav got 4 wkts, and spinners Bensted, McLeod and Tassone each got two.

Quite a number of LBW's, eight I think across the two innings'. Both sides (and even both skippers I think) were on the receiving end of what can only be called "shockers." I know we need umpire's, but on the other side of the coin A-grade cricket deserves better for the $100-$110 being spent each week.

Nagambie seem on the right track though, plenty of keen kids with talent :thumbsu:

I believe Seymour got 130 odd, Alex then got them 6 wkts down with Hilly getting 80, Joey Pollock's form with the ball for the Maroon's continued with 3/19.

After being held up and not getting to the Yea races I caught the Nagambie innings at Kilmore. Chasing 144 the Lakers looked home before Mitch Winter-Irving and Mark Berens got out, in fact I think Nagambie lost 5/17 to fall 2-3 runs short in the final over. Trav got 4 wkts, and spinners Bensted, McLeod and Tassone each got two.

Quite a number of LBW's, eight I think across the two innings'. Both sides (and even both skippers I think) were on the receiving end of what can only be called "shockers." I know we need umpire's, but on the other side of the coin A-grade cricket deserves better for the $100-$110 being spent each week.

Nagambie seem on the right track though, plenty of keen kids with talent :thumbsu:

With ya on this doona, and some of the bloody lbw decisions are having an impact on the younger players, they hate ( as we all do) getting fired out to a shocker just as there getting there innings going, its not good.

My buddy at the hill was telling me there umpy on the weekend made good decisions but was over the top with the players, arguing with some, and at one piont telling the bowler to just bowl the ****ing ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back