Media SFA Foundation Cup with Demons and Wonders-S20

Remove this Banner Ad

For this season's Foundation Cup, l thought it would be a good idea to interview both SSwans2011 and Eth. I apologise for the length of the reading, but l hope you enjoy it in any case.

· Firstly, how long have you both been involved in the SFA competition and what motivated you to join the competition and your current team?
Eth:
I've been here since Season 12 so compared to most of you lot I'm venturing into old man yells at cloud territory. I don't know what originally inspired it, Freakie said it was in a booze-fuelled haze that I became one of Buller's own. Wouldn't have it any other way, really.

SSwans2011:
I've been in the Sweet FA since season 17. I was a wee lad who was afraid to explore much of BigFooty at that time, rarely venturing outside of the Swans board. I received a message from PVF inviting me to join the Wonders, and I couldn't say 'no' to his Debbie Harry avatar... how I miss it. I was lured too by the welcome sign, which featured some of the big name flogs of the time. I mean, the Wonders had pantskyle at the time, and I wondered how someone could have so many posts. Within a week, I understood. One thing about the league I find particularly enticing is tainted Premierships. No idea why though, I support Sydney. Also received an invite to join the Gumbies not too much later, but luckily, PVF got in first. Suck s**t, A Bit High. Thank god for PVF, giving the league the honour of hearing my various moronic, nonsensical ramblings. It's a major step-up in class to what the league is used to.
Now for just a pure SSwans2011 question, how has the Wonder’s captaincy affected your involvement in SFA, what motivated your push for captaincy?
SSwans2011:
That's an interesting one. I'm going to be honest here, it's certainly not all sunshine and lollipops. In fact, there's been times where captaincy has left me less enthused, than when I wasn't captain. That being said, I'm stoked with how the Wonders list is shaping up, and the bad times are more than compensated by the overwhelming power of being the dictator of an online fantasy footy team. I'm enjoying the league hell of a lot more now that I have a strong leadership team backing me, as well as one of the strongest lists in the league. I think the best part about it is how unpredictable we are. I mean, I think half the league still thinks The Filth Wizard is captain. One other thing the captaincy has provided is more moronic, nonsensical ramblings, so that's nice.

As for the second part of that question, I wouldn't so much call it a push. I was more so offered a step-up into a vice captaincy position, which quickly lead to captaincy, due to unforeseeable circumstance. However, it was not nearly as sudden as people think. TheFreshBanana has copped way too much flack for this too. He had been showing me the ropes for weeks, and I felt I was ready when I was thrust into the role... then you find out how tough the role truly is. That, combined with my notorious laziness and stubbornness irl, it is a miracle that it's gone as swimmingly as it has. It was a recipe for disaster, but instead the chef served a store lasagna. Not great, but not terrible either - can't go overly wrong. Played it safe.

· A question for you both, l wanted to ask you both about the general history of your club and how has your club fared since day one of SFA.
Eth:
We have a flag, we have a lot of finals appearances, we have the second or third-most wins in Qooty history. It's pretty good. We're proud of the longevity and proud of the recent, continued success. But we're always trying to improve.

SSwans2011:

Much shorter than the other answers. We're simply the best. 4 Premierships. Richest history. Greatest club the Sweet FA has, and ever will see. The Furies seem to think we have some petty rivalry with them over who's the greatest, but any intelligent Wonder puts the Demons before them anyway.

· So l wanted to ask you both about the origins and history of the Foundation Cup and the strong rivalry between the Demons and Wonders? What prompted this rivalry?
Eth:
I couldn't pick a specific moment, I think the furore has built up over time. How many other clubs can claim a history like either of ours? How many clubs have been at each other's throats so often? There's been, what, twenty-something teams in the league's history, and another bunch that failed entirely, and we've both kept going strong the whole journey. No other clubs have anything near the fortitude over a time span like that - especially when you consider how quickly teams came and went in the early years, imagine scrapping a team now - and it's forged a rivalry out of mutual respect as well as that naturally-occurring competitive drive between us.

But mainly Clarkey called us "Mt Buller doodleheads" in my second game and justifiably I've despised him ever since.

SSwans2011:
I think Eth will give a better, more comprehensive answer for this one. I think the foundation (pun not intended) was obviously established by the fact that we were both foundation clubs, but both clubs have also had some of the greatest posters the league has ever seen lace the boots for them. Try Deestroy, EKA, lioness, Rick18 etc. etc.. Fitting that 3 of them were Wonders HOFers. There's just posting talent in both camps that cannot be matched by any other club's history. Wonders are still comprehensively greater though.

· Moving deeper into the rivalry between both sides. What have been some of the better clashes between both proud clubs over the years?
Eth:
The last three Foundation Cups have been reasonable, we're undefeated by my count. One game that sticks out is before my time - the last game of Season 8. Both sides were hovering around mid-table throughout the season, and by the last round the Wonders were fifth and in finals, the Demons one spot below and outside finals, with a match between the two to come. ClarkeM had moved from the Dees to the Wonders mid-season so this was a real grudge match. It became even more hilarious when Buller won by a point and booted the Wonders out.

I suppose when you let Tarkyn_24 of all people have 35 disposals and four goals s**t happens.

SSwans2011:
My personal favourites that I've been around for are a couple of the matches our clubs shared in season 17. The Wonders had to beat the Minor Premiers in the Dees to make the Finals. We're down late, but wage a comeback, and somehow get over the line. Finals come around, and we store our way into a Preliminary Final, following an all-time classic contest against the Hawks, and we face the Dees again. We manage an easy win, and go on to flog the Dragons in the Grand Final. Managed to deny both the Dees and Dragons their first Premiership, even through using that nutjob croweater 41's gameplan.

1CMWvi.gif

· So moving onto this season, this weekend see’s a clash between middle of the ladder teams, which makes a win absolutely crucial for both sides. Who will be the key players for both sides and what will be the critical match-ups?
Eth:
croweater 41 versus Clarkey will be brilliant. These two have followed such similar paths - both played 200-odd games for the Wonders, both won and captained flags, both are in the hall of fame - and now they're against each other on the Qooty field for the first time. You'd be silly to miss it. We've got a really dynamic group in the middle of the park - myself excluded anyway - and Clarkey's gotta do something to get an edge, especially with LicoriceAllsorts absent in the centre.

SSwans2011:
Absolutely massive match. Our rookies have been fantastic all season. Kangaroos4eva and haydo169
will provide some x-factor, and if another rookie in TwentyNine and Golumless can hit the scoreboard, we'll win easy. Our backline is experienced enough, and knows what needs to be done, and the midfield combination of Brown Bottle and LicoriceAllsorts is freakish, so we will miss that combination. We will need someone else to stand up in the middle. ClarkeM and croweater 41 will be a massive match-up too, but I get the feeling amidst their arguing over who is greater, they'll completely forget about the game.

· How do you both see the match playing out this week, will it be tight and high scoring or a blowout by one side?
Eth:
A blowout, by us. I have a lot of respect for the Wonders but the tenacity isn't there like it used to be - not enough to run with a side like us, anyway. Everyone knows the Wonders are quite beatable and we intend to reinforce that.

SSwans2011:
I'm hoping for a close one. Think both teams will be in the 90-110 region, but it's up to the Dees to stick close. If they're too pathetic, we'll forget about putting on a show, and resign to the fact that this will only see 10x the viewership of every other game this week, which is still only 4% of the viewership reruns of Seinfeld see. Thanks expansion. Tarnishing one great and one average, but much better than anyone else club.

· Who will be the medal favourites from your sides for this season and why?
Eth:
All of us...they still do premiership medals, right?

SSwans2011:
LicoriceAllsorts. We put him in isolation for the week just for this.

Someone once asked me if I would piss on the Wonders if they were on fire... Of course I would, my urine is 80% alcohol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back