SFL DIV3 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

It's got everyone on here talking about it... Must be half decent ?

Don't wanna take sides or wage into this war between BR and Stacey, but Division 3 has improved significantly in the last 3 years...
It's people coming from higher divisions, better leagues, improved pathways (u19's) and also the addition of 3's improves a club... It attracts more people on different skill levels and sometimes you can get something special from your 3rds.
At sandown we have 4 players that played 3's two years ago and have currently played all games this year.
Basically, I play in this division and I do take offence to people calling it the worst league in metro Melbourne, cause I'm telling you right now... It ain't. It's far from the best but it ain't the worst...

I'm not saying it's the worst league in melb but it certainly falls in the lower ebb in terms of standard across all the leagues and divisions... Totally agree it has improved but at the same time there are a lot of senior footballers in this league that wouldn't be senior footballers in another league.... In terms of quality players coming down to div three from higher comps , apart from a select handful they are usually dropping down to div 3 as they don't have the desire or physical attributes to play at a higher standard any longer. Having played much higher standards of footy I'm being realistic when I say sfl div 3 is not a great standard ... The ball generally moves slow and the style of play/turn over of possessions in all games I've seen tell me that it is a fair way off a decent standard. I'm in no way having a go at the league or it's clubs it's just a realistic point of view, but like I said it has def improved significantly in standard in last few years.

Don't wanna take sides or wage into this war between BR and Stacey, but Division 3 has improved significantly in the last 3 years...
It's people coming from higher divisions, better leagues, improved pathways (u19's) and also the addition of 3's improves a club... It attracts more people on different skill levels and sometimes you can get something special from your 3rds.
At sandown we have 4 players that played 3's two years ago and have currently played all games this year.
Basically, I play in this division and I do take offence to people calling it the worst league in metro Melbourne, cause I'm telling you right now... It ain't. It's far from the best but it ain't the worst...

The bottom 4 sides make it a poor division! The league is improving every year and it comes down to the influx of players. This year has been a massive improvement on the last 5, due to players like Mouritz, Moor and like 5-6 others from CPL, Irish and Tormey from Lyndale and even Stacey at Mount Waverley. All these players instanstly improve the standard of footy at there clubs therefore improving the quality of footy the league.

Yeah the better players make a small amount of difference, but look at the bottom 6-8 players in the top sides? They are not influential and would be lock in twos players in slightly better comps.... Watching black rock v mount on the weekend the match was controlled by the best 6-8 players in each team, I could have counted another 6-8 players from both sides having less than 5 touches for the game!!! That tells me although it was a great contest to watch it says the standard is still lacking as is game style and accountability..... Don't get me wrong I love watching the div 3 comp and what it lacks in standard it makes up for in other areas.... It's just a realistic point of view on my behalf .

I agree with Bigbrother here. But keep everything in perspective here, we are talking the bottom division of a partiular league in general...I dont understand why everyones expectations are so high to begin with?

In regards in how to SFl Div 3 compares to other lower divisions, what criteria makes SFL Div 3 worse then any other bottom division of other leagues?
Would you judge it primarily on the how good the best teams of the division are? Or how bad the worst teams are?

Tips for this week:
Ashwood 24 points
Lyndale 16 points
Black Rock 45 points
Mount Waverley 25 points
CPL 165 points

Have a good footy week end

I agree with Bigbrother here. But keep everything in perspective here, we are talking the bottom division of a partiular league in general...I dont understand why everyones expectations are so high to begin with?

In regards in how to SFl Div 3 compares to other lower divisions, what criteria makes SFL Div 3 worse then any other bottom division of other leagues?
Would you judge it primarily on the how good the best teams of the division are? Or how bad the worst teams are?

Definitely the worst. The bottom three/four teams in each division determines how strong the division is.

On another note, you'd think that the club wouldn't want Stacey coming on and potting other blokes on here. From where I come from it just gives Black Rock extra ammo next time these two sides play each other.

Definitely the worst. The bottom three/four teams in each division determines how strong the division is.

On another note, you'd think that the club wouldn't want Stacey coming on and potting other blokes on here. From where I come from it just gives Black Rock extra ammo next time these two sides play each other.

Apologies if anyone took anything I wrote seriously, would hardly call it potting blokes just poking some fun! If you couldn't read into the tounge and cheek then sorry.
Hopefully we play Black Rock in finals and they give it straight back to me!

Do Mt. Waverley hope to play Black Rock in the Finals????? They have come close to knocking them off twice this year. Could be third time lucky come finals......

i saw the game on the weekend and if it were a dry day mount would have blown apart black rock. black rock like to bottle the ball up and kick the ball long out of packs, how on earth has their forward Dewar kicked goals with delivery like that? also Ben, i saw one of your kicks inside 50 that what shanked on the full! i also saw Gough and he had what, 3 touches for the day? doesn't really put him up there in the best. overrated to say the least.

i saw the game on the weekend and if it were a dry day mount would have blown apart black rock. black rock like to bottle the ball up and kick the ball long out of packs, how on earth has their forward Dewar kicked goals with delivery like that? also Ben, i saw one of your kicks inside 50 that what shanked on the full! i also saw Gough and he had what, 3 touches for the day? doesn't really put him up there in the best. overrated to say the least.

Yeah mate that was a shocker, difference was I ran about 100m before that and was 40m out on the run hugging the boundary. Not having a set shot 25m out on a slight angle ;) but yeah there was that one and a couple of other dribblers too.

As for Joffa he probably didn't touch it more than 3 times but still slotted 3 so all good, he usually has 11 kicks for 10 goals or 1 kick for 1 goal so nothing unusual

Southern Football League is definitely the worst standard of football in Victoria. The top 3, maybe 4 sides have some quality about them, Mount have a few that are obvious, likewise with CPL (they also have a few who are well past their best but they continue to stand out in this competition proving the point), black rock have 2 maybe 3 quality players, lyndale no real standouts but a couple of mid range players, and the rest of the teams have no players that you would expect would get games in other competitions. lets be honest here, southern is the worst comp in Victoria, and division 3 is the bottom division of that comp. it is a long way off. in saying that, I still enjoy watching the battles between certain teams in all divisions of sfl. it is the contest and the rivalries that are enticing, not the skill level or apparent lack of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Southern Football League is definitely the worst standard of football in Victoria. The top 3, maybe 4 sides have some quality about them, Mount have a few that are obvious, likewise with CPL (they also have a few who are well past their best but they continue to stand out in this competition proving the point), black rock have 2 maybe 3 quality players, lyndale no real standouts but a couple of mid range players, and the rest of the teams have no players that you would expect would get games in other competitions. lets be honest here, southern is the worst comp in Victoria, and division 3 is the bottom division of that comp. it is a long way off. in saying that, I still enjoy watching the battles between certain teams in all divisions of sfl. it is the contest and the rivalries that are enticing, not the skill level or apparent lack of it.

Even worse the the newly devised WRFL Div 3? A 6 team division 4 of which includes the likes of Tarneit, Burnside Heights, North Sunshine and Laverton?

You have got rocks in your head... Just saying...

Not the best weather 2bithooker, BR game plan definitely isn't about what you say it is. Probably just played the way they did due to the conditions. How do you know BR wouldn't be a better team in dry conditions?

BFC unless you have been to games across other leagues ie: bottom division then you are talking hypothetically at best. How do you rate a comp? Is it on simply skill level or how hard blokes go or what? Let me tell you that I went to a C grade VAFA game at Peninsula a few weeks ago and then drove to see the second half of the CPL game and CPL would beat both Peninsula and Ormond. Of course the lower positioned teams in Div 3 would not be very competitive against other leagues but if that is your presumption that a league is judged by its bottom clubs then why? But you are right close games at any level are entertaining.
SFL is not the worst in Vic when they played the RDFL a few seasons back they beat them 2 out of 2. The colts won one and lost one. So factually you are wrong.!

Not the best weather 2bithooker, BR game plan definitely isn't about what you say it is. Probably just played the way they did due to the conditions. How do you know BR wouldn't be a better team in dry conditions?
The hardness at the ball was quite poor from BR I believe they got lucky, sitting out of packs, waiting for a spilled out ball. #18 is your main culprit. On a dry day mount Waverley would be a lot cleaner with the ball and therefore make things a lot harder for you. As for MW running out of legs, I hear injuries took toll and they didn't have a bench for the last quarter.

The hardness at the ball was quite poor from BR I believe they got lucky, sitting out of packs, waiting for a spilled out ball. #18 is your main culprit. On a dry day mount Waverley would be a lot cleaner with the ball and therefore make things a lot harder for you. As for MW running out of legs, I hear injuries took toll and they didn't have a bench for the last quarter.

True mate, not for the first time this season we played the last quarter without a bench due to injuries.

As for SFL being the worst league in Vic? Who could possibly know? If we are talking quality of football then you obviously have VAFA / EFL and some good country footy leagues leading the way but you can only judge them on there top divisions, after that? * knows!?! Haha until you actually play each and every league, division and team against each other it's all hypothetical.

True mate, not for the first time this season we played the last quarter without a bench due to injuries.

As for SFL being the worst league in Vic? Who could possibly know? If we are talking quality of football then you obviously have VAFA / EFL and some good country footy leagues leading the way but you can only judge them on there top divisions, after that? **** knows!?! Haha until you actually play each and every league, division and team against each other it's all hypothetical.

Thems fightin words.

All i hear out of that is Divsion 3-4 interleague carnival...similar to VAFA D1-D4 vs VCFL B.

Finally settle the 'worst division in melbourne' arguement once and for all.

I think teams from the top half of SFL div3 would be competitive in most other comps lower leagues. Games between the top 4 teams in this comp are usually a reasonable standard, and can be quite enjoyable games to watch. However it is the bottom teams of div3 (Endeavour Hills, Hallam and Dandenong) that make this league seem worse than it is. These teams have close to no players that would even play seniors in the better teams in SFL div3. They not only drag the standard of the other teams they play down but mean that many of the games in div3 are extremely uncompetitive and have no intensity about them. I think if div3 was a 7-8 team comp with those bottom sides not involved it would make the league seem a MUCH better standard. Dandenong were okay last year, but endeavour hills and hallam have been like this for years now, makes you wonder wether there existence in the comp is worthwhile?

I think teams from the top half of SFL div3 would be competitive in most other comps lower leagues. Games between the top 4 teams in this comp are usually a reasonable standard, and can be quite enjoyable games to watch. However it is the bottom teams of div3 (Endeavour Hills, Hallam and Dandenong) that make this league seem worse than it is. These teams have close to no players that would even play seniors in the better teams in SFL div3. They not only drag the standard of the other teams they play down but mean that many of the games in div3 are extremely uncompetitive and have no intensity about them. I think if div3 was a 7-8 team comp with those bottom sides not involved it would make the league seem a MUCH better standard. Dandenong were okay last year, but endeavour hills and hallam have been like this for years now, makes you wonder wether there existence in the comp is worthwhile?

I think its a bit harsh to say straight up these clubs shouldn't exist, the bottom 3 really do look to be struggling at the moment but it could be anything from unjuries to financial problems that could be holding these clubs back.

Obviously Dandenong were a game away from playing a grand final last year and they were looking like going through winless early on this year. They have lost a few players and it has really shown.

Hallam is a hard one? They seem to have depth with there 2's going okay, there club is one of the best run in the division and with the money they would make on night games you wonder where it all goes when they have points stripped because they can't pay league fees?

And Endeavour Hills after looking ominous early have only won a handful of games in 3 years.

Yeah the bottom sides def drag the comp down which is a shame as the competitive games are few and far between....

You also see a lot of games that look competitive on results are in fact not quite as good a spectacle as it appears. Teams like Sandown, Ashwood, South Yarra that have no standout players, they know their limitations and drag the better sides down to their standard, albeit a great tactic but not really worthy of watching. It happens in the other divisions also with the likes of Highett and Caulfield, Chelsea Heights Caulfield and East Malvern. These sides rarely cop a huge thumping, they just drag their opponents down. I for one, would much prefer sides with that better level of talent go head to head in a skilful display of football. And that's what this league lacks. I would encourage the league to go for a 2 up 2 down regulation process. That would even the comp up a lot quicker and you would see the distinct levels of football between the divisions.

They have certainly let the inmates out of the asylums today,get a grip guy's it's suburban footy for all to enjoy,stop bagging clubs Jono12 aren't you associated with Ashwood the only club in this Div to drop from 1st Div to 3rd Div enough said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back