SFL DIV3 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Having played in the ammo's, Div 1 SFL and now Div 3, I can tell you the top clubs in C grade would pummel all but the top 4 of Div 1. You can completely forget about B grade. I'd be surprised if Dingley made the top 3 in B grade.

In saying that, there's not much between the likes of Heatherton, Skye and CPL/Mt Waverley. I think the gap between the bottom of Div 1 and top of Div 3 is pretty small. The league needs to rectify the 1 up/1 down rule, it's the root of a lot of the problems imo.

I haven't seen what the likes of Penninsula and Ormond this year, but I do know what Parkdales side looks like, they are sitting 7th in C grade, CPL and Mount wouldn't get within 12 goals of them, they're a much better side than the current Chelt and Chelsea Heights outfits for example.

I think CPL and Mount would probably be competitive in D grade. The Ammo's is a lot different to Southern though, there's a pretty big jump between divisions.

Last edited:

I can't believe that result? Was south yarra at home ? South yarra are a difficult match up there.... Good on south yarra.

Having played in the ammo's, Div 1 SFL and now Div 3, I can tell you the top clubs in C grade would pummel all but the top 4 of Div 1. You can completely forget about B grade. I'd be surprised if Dingley made the top 3 in B grade.

In saying that, there's not much between the likes of Heatherton, Skye and CPL/Mt Waverley. I think the gap between the bottom of Div 1 and top of Div 3 is pretty small. The league needs to rectify the 1 up/1 down rule, it's the root of a lot of the problems imo.

I haven't seen what the likes of Penninsula and Ormond this year, but I do know what Parkdales side looks like, they are sitting 7th in C grade, CPL and Mount wouldn't get within 12 goals of them, they're a much better side than the current Chelt and Chelsea Heights outfits for example.

I think CPL and Mount would probably be competitive in D grade. The Ammo's is a lot different to Southern though, there's a pretty big jump between divisions.

Respectfully, i think you're somewhat wrong - most local grounds aren't big enough for these ammo sides to hide, and a good hard side usually gets the better of a skilled running side (see the AFL in Sept and tell me how the tough sides go against the silkier sides....in fact just watch the 2012 afl GF).

No question watching the first few divs in ammos LOOKS like a better standard, but when they play a hard side that nails them in the contested footy and intimidates them and causes inferred pressure, I think the less silky looking side is often the more effective.

Yarra played well, however I must say it was difficult to watch. I have never seen a more one sided officiated game in my life. Nearly 40 free kicks to 13 and 13-1 in the second quarter alone. Saying that as I said, Yarra did play well, #15 was best on by a country mile and I believe someone said earlier he would do well in league bnf. No argument here if he plays like that every week...

i'm not sure of those free kick numbers but a couple of weeks ago we got off side the umps which resulted in a 100m penalty against our senior coach and 1 of our top 3 players got suspended for 2 weeks abusive language that resulted in a 2 week suspension that he didn't even say, it came from the bench i think

lyndale got on the wrong side of the umps this time and lost the plot with 2 send offs

and yep that was jordy #15, he does play like that every week

Respectfully, i think you're somewhat wrong - most local grounds aren't big enough for these ammo sides to hide, and a good hard side usually gets the better of a skilled running side (see the AFL in Sept and tell me how the tough sides go against the silkier sides....in fact just watch the 2012 afl GF).

No question watching the first few divs in ammos LOOKS like a better standard, but when they play a hard side that nails them in the contested footy and intimidates them and causes inferred pressure, I think the less silky looking side is often the more effective.

The biggest myth in local footy.

The most physical football I've ever played is in the Ammo's, the faster the game, the harder the hits. This applies at every level of footy.

I don't get it tbh, it's hilarious that people think it's a league made up of 18 year old, outside school boys. There's a reason it's probably the best standard of footy outside the VFL, the guys playing it are fitter, faster and stronger.

The rep side sure as hell must of found a few places to hide down at Balwyn when they belted the EFL rep side by 8 goals in March.

As for South Yarra, they were a lot better 2 weeks ago, as apposed to the start of the year.

The most physical football I've ever played is in the Ammo's, the faster the game, the harder the hits. This applies at every level of footy.

I don't get it tbh, it's hilarious that people think it's a league made up of 18 year old, outside school boys. There's a reason it's probably the best standard of footy outside the VFL, the guys playing it are fitter, faster and stronger.

The rep side sure as hell must of found a few places to hide down at Balwyn when they belted the EFL rep side by 8 goals in March.

As for South Yarra, they were a lot better 2 weeks ago, as apposed to the start of the year.

Have to agree. ‘A’ grade ammos easily the best standard comp in the land and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get around to more suburban games. I don’t know how many times the VAFA have to beat the EFL before this ridiculous ‘soft’ myth is buried. 3 from 3 against the EFL with the margin getting bigger each time. No question that the top 4 – 5 players in most SFL teams would be comfortable in any company but it falls away after that. ‘A’ grade Ammo teams have 20 –25 capable at that level and this is why players from the VAFA are chased so hard by the paying comps. The best SLF teams Div 1 teams would be C grade VAFA standard, or at absolute best bottom half ‘B’ grade.

Mr turbo, what happened?
Lol, what do you think... We got smashed... We had 4 pull out before the start of the game and 3 unavailable this week leaving 7 out... Would this have made a difference... NO. Mount we're switched on and was the best I've ever seen them play... Full credit to them and big Gough up forward. They are a very lippy side and got stuck into me pretty well (all in good fun for the most part) but when your up by 15 goals you can say whatever you want I guess! They backed it up. No excuses, they were a much better side and we didn't have enough contributors. Simple.

i'm not sure of those free kick numbers but a couple of weeks ago we got off side the umps which resulted in a 100m penalty against our senior coach and 1 of our top 3 players got suspended for 2 weeks abusive language that resulted in a 2 week suspension that he didn't even say, it came from the bench i think

lyndale got on the wrong side of the umps this time and lost the plot with 2 send offs

and yep that was jordy #15, he does play like that every week

Credit to the Yarra who jumped early and were never headed. Second of the send-offs would have to be one of the softest things I have ever seen on a football field and killed any momentum that the Pumas had. The umpire who issued the yellow card after the match apologised for doing so and said he made a mistake. When your 2 goals down with a shot on goal and that happens an apology doesn't really give you any comfort.

But like I stated first the Yarra were first to the ball for the majority of the game deserved the win at the large margin, our boys more or less played the game out knowing that they weren't going to get a free kick from one of the officials.

Yarra played well, however I must say it was difficult to watch. I have never seen a more one sided officiated game in my life. Nearly 40 free kicks to 13 and 13-1 in the second quarter alone

Geez I hate when I see stuff like this. Do you think 13 free kicks to 1 means the umpires are bias to one side? If a team goes out there and starts laying reckless tackles, going the biff with head high crap, and just genuinely don't know the rules, that the umpire is going to second guess any of them and think you know what, the free kick count is 10 to 1, i better not pay these next 3.

The umps pay what's there, each free will be paid on it's merits, regardless of free kick counts. In fact, why even bother keeping free kick counts? You can keep them as a matter of interest to your own team stats, same as inside 50s or clearances etc, as the ONLY thing you can ascertain from a free kick count is how reckless your players are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah agree.... Lopsided free kick count doesn't change a ten goal result in my opinion ... Better team won!

But when you see free kicks that are they paid the oppositions way but not not your way, your team gets frustrated and then the cracks unfold.
They seemed very quick on the whistle for free kicks to south yarra, but unfortunately south Yarra couldn't do anything wrong by the umpires on Saturday, which wasn't the truth.
But credit to south Yarra, they moved the ball very fast, and got on top around the centre. Them kicking straight in the 1st quarter set up there game, where Lyndale had a lot of the ball and only scored the 6 behinds.

Geez I hate when I see stuff like this. Do you think 13 free kicks to 1 means the umpires are bias to one side? If a team goes out there and starts laying reckless tackles, going the biff with head high crap, and just genuinely don't know the rules, that the umpire is going to second guess any of them and think you know what, the free kick count is 10 to 1, i better not pay these next 3.

The umps pay what's there, each free will be paid on it's merits, regardless of free kick counts. In fact, why even bother keeping free kick counts? You can keep them as a matter of interest to your own team stats, same as inside 50s or clearances etc, as the ONLY thing you can ascertain from a free kick count is how reckless your players are.

Personally no I don't think a count like that immediately means that umpires are biased, but if you read cptkirk's post he says that we were on the wrong end of the umpires. It was the decisions that were not made that were hard to deal with. But all 10 teams in Div 3 have to deal with the umpires that are allocated each week, unfortunately while the standard of this division has grown the umpiring has not.
Case and point is yesterday we had the pleasure of Nifty umpiring the ressies game

Cannot agree with you at all, Ormond and Peninsula when I saw them were terrible and CPL would have beaten them easy. I don't subscribe to the fact that the VAFA is weak in that they are soft but No doubt the SFL standard is either improving or the VAFA C grade has dropped because again from what I saw CPL would have beaten 2 C grade clubs on that day. Yes VAFA at the higher level is excellent footy but as you go down the grades the divisions are filled with "district:" clubs that are no different to the SFL Clubs. Murrumbeena have a junior club then senior teams just like Ormond that are 3 or kilometres down the road, they both have kids from the same college representing both clubs - Mc Kinnon... so logically no reason why the 2 clubs should be much different in ability. btw culturally no different either.

Personally no I don't think a count like that immediately means that umpires are biased, but if you read cptkirk's post he says that we were on the wrong end of the umpires. It was the decisions that were not made that were hard to deal with. But all 10 teams in Div 3 have to deal with the umpires that are allocated each week, unfortunately while the standard of this division has grown the umpiring has not.
Case and point is yesterday we had the pleasure of Nifty umpiring the ressies game

ned and dallas weren't too bad in our game on sat actually...a few head scratches but that's footy

i didn't see either send off actually they both at the far end but lyndale didn't look anywhere near it except for that breif run in the 2nd qt...if that's happens in a final then i hope they give a 2nd yelp then cos they didn't sat...us supporters were expecting a run at some point but it never came and goals were coming pretty easily in the 2nd half which was suprising from a potential GF team

The 2 umps we had staurday were horrible, on several occasions both teams were laughing at the decisions they were making. You know when that happens the umpires are having a shocker, they were aparantly regular division 1 umpires as well? They were soft and inconsistent, some umpires need to understand that talking back isn't abuse and you can't pay 50m for it, they know they are going to make some wrong decisions and probably cop some sh#t for it, that's footy but unless it is abusive or demonstrative it's not a violation of the rules. I'd like to see where in the rule book it says you can pay free kicks and 50m penalties for talking to an umpire.
And what other sports the umpires decide to make up a rule during the game, I'm not sure why any umpires are allowed to decide pre game what rules they will be focusing on or being heavy or leanient on? Shouldn't they just focus on the same rules week in week out? Try and get some kind of consistancy? Instead of saying to a team pre game "okay guys today we don't want to see any of this" or "we are going to be harder on this rule today"

It's a joke.. saying all of that though it was good of the umpires to stick around for a drink after the game, you don't get that much anymore

ned and dallas weren't too bad in our game on sat actually...a few head scratches but that's footy

i didn't see either send off actually they both at the far end but lyndale didn't look anywhere near it except for that breif run in the 2nd qt...if that's happens in a final then i hope they give a 2nd yelp then cos they didn't sat...us supporters were expecting a run at some point but it never came and goals were coming pretty easily in the 2nd half which was suprising from a potential GF team

Nifty is blind and deaf in one ear, shouldn't be out there and if you ask the other umpires they agree. But half way through the year he suddenly turns up and starts doing ressie games.

The first send off was fine, player said something and he was carded for abuse. The 2nd send-off was Harrison pushing a player back, ump yellow carded him for it and that was it. We kicked the first 2 of the 3rd to get within 12 points and had a shot on goal when that decision was made. But your right not a yelp was given after that.

Had a look at the teams making finals leading goal kickers.

Mount Waverley: J.Gough (75) J.Rickard (35) L.Morrey (15) D.Macrae (12) I.Taylor (11) **TOTAL: 148**
CPL: T.March (47) J.Dalton (26) J.Olaman (19) R.Chadwick (14) D.Watterson (11) **TOTAL: 117**
Black Rock: T.Dewar (47) K.Spratt (14) A.Shulman (13) B.Fairhurst (10) J.Williams (9) **TOTAL: 93**
Lyndale: T.Kumetatis (31) D.Tormey (13) T.Day (10) M.Stuart (8) B.Carroll (7) **TOTAL: 69**
Sandown: C.Sheedy (31) J.Chapman (18) J.Toan (16) F.Martinichio (8) M.Davis (8) **TOTAL: 81**

Whilst I've noticed that both Lyndale seems to have little firepower in front of goal, and that Black Rock relies on their forward (Dewar) more than most (their second highest is a midfielder on only 14)

The main thing that i learnt from this was that all 5 teams have a main goal kicker that kicks the majority of their goals. This means that a good fullback that can nullify one of these players could be crucial to deciding who takes the flag on grand final day. I haven't seen many of these teams games this year, but do any of them have a player that does this job well? Or someone who has had the wood over one of these full forwards this year?

Had a look at the teams making finals leading goal kickers.

Mount Waverley: J.Gough (75) J.Rickard (35) L.Morrey (15) D.Macrae (12) I.Taylor (11) **TOTAL: 148**
CPL: T.March (47) J.Dalton (26) J.Olaman (19) R.Chadwick (14) D.Watterson (11) **TOTAL: 117**
Black Rock: T.Dewar (47) K.Spratt (14) A.Shulman (13) B.Fairhurst (10) J.Williams (9) **TOTAL: 93**
Lyndale: T.Kumetatis (31) D.Tormey (13) T.Day (10) M.Stuart (8) B.Carroll (7) **TOTAL: 69**
Sandown: C.Sheedy (31) J.Chapman (18) J.Toan (16) F.Martinichio (8) M.Davis (8) **TOTAL: 81**

Whilst I've noticed that both Lyndale seems to have little firepower in front of goal, and that Black Rock relies on their forward (Dewar) more than most (their second highest is a midfielder on only 14)

The main thing that i learnt from this was that all 5 teams have a main goal kicker that kicks the majority of their goals. This means that a good fullback that can nullify one of these players could be crucial to deciding who takes the flag on grand final day. I haven't seen many of these teams games this year, but do any of them have a player that does this job well? Or someone who has had the wood over one of these full forwards this year?

If you assumed the Grand Final was Mount Waverley vs. CPL then Mount and Gough would be in for a good day, he had 6 last time they met whilst March was held to only 2. He was held to 1 against Sandown first time they met but kicked 7 on the weekend. Against Black Rock and Lyndale he averages over 4.

So it looks like the key would be to stop Gough, good luck.

I think mount relies on gough more than the other teams rely on their key forwards .... Add to the fact mounts small forwards are pretty ordinary it means the side that shuts him down will most likely beat mount.... In saying that he is not easy to stop, often beats multiple opponents and rarely misses a set shot.

I think mount relies on gough more than the other teams rely on their key forwards .... Add to the fact mounts small forwards are pretty ordinary it means the side that shuts him down will most likely beat mount.... In saying that he is not easy to stop, often beats multiple opponents and rarely misses a set shot.

Not sure how you can say that there small forwards are ordinary? Rickard has kicked more goals than both Lyndale and Sandowns leading goal kickers and that Is behind a forward like Gough taking 90% of his oppurtinities.
Not sure why I. Taylor hasn't been playing ? In my opinion he is there best avenue to goal behind Gough, saw him play a couple of games early and he really caught my eye! he has played less than a handful of games but if they can get him back for finals that forward line would be almost unstoppable.
Can MountPrettyBoy fill us in on why he is out? When he will be back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back