SFL DIV3 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the outcome of the hearing is out:

[MT WAVERLEY]
Club - Fined $2K + 12 month $2k bond for 2015
Supporters - each individual ranging from reprimand to 6 match suspension for 2015 season, as either player/supporter/official

[CPL]
Club - 12 month $2k bond for 2015
Player - 2 week suspension for 2015 season

[2014 SFL Div 3 Grandfinal Outcome]
No Result
No club gets promoted to Div 2 for 2015 season

So basically knocking out a player followed by intiating a physical fight and then calling off a game that you are likely to lose is looked at as worse then the opposite of that. Makes no sense. Sfl have got it wrong this time. Not saying that either team should be rewarded but how do cpl come up on top here. Cpl player caused it all and gets less weeks then the ppl he hit

So basically knocking out a player followed by intiating a physical fight and then calling off a game that you are likely to lose is looked at as worse then the opposite of that. Makes no sense. Sfl have got it wrong this time. Not saying that either team should be rewarded but how do cpl come up on top here. Cpl player caused it all and gets less weeks then the ppl he hit

What happens on the field stays on the field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most spineless, insipid and backward result ever. League had a chance to show some real leadership and more important COURAGE in this and have failed badly. A virtual slap on the wrist for one of the most disgraceful events in SFL history.

Not a proud day for anyone associated with this league today.

On that day the SFL Brand was significantly damaged by the events as every media outlet reported it in a negative light. Obviously with only a $2k fine imposed this provides a true indication of the SFL Brand Value. `Trash our Brand and you cop $2k fine`. Guaranteed in EDFL, Amos it would have been +$10k and suspension. It shows that we play and work out butts off in a tin can league with no Brand equity. What's the use.

All the chest beating, investigative
powers and determination to stamp on this has been like hitting king kong with a feather. Pathetic on all counts.

Last edited:
Cant believe the decision to rule their be no result for the 2014 Grand Final. Basically means all the effort and work from all the players from the 10 teams last year was pointless and the whole year was a waste of time. Im not from Mount Waverley but we all know Mount Waverley were the best team last year, and they were going to win the Grand Final by 10 goals. I do believe both clubs are at fault for the incident, and they should both be fined and punished. But don't make the year a waste and not award the premiership to a deserving team.

Will be interesting to see the integrity (if any) MW have. Surely those who have been found guilty of costing the club $2000, put it on a bond and cost the club a probable premiership will be told to leave? But then again, it is MW....wonder if they will turn a blind eye and accept. More than likely will!

Doesn't mention anywhere in the SFL announcement about any CPL players getting suspended. Are you referring to the 2 week penalty Lucas already received for the on field incident? If so, that is completely irrelevant here. This investigation and announcement is based purely on the things that happened off the field.

Based on that announcement of MW getting fined and CPL not getting fined, MW supporters getting suspended and CPL players not getting suspended, one would easily conclude that the investigation must have yielded information we aren't privy to, and sounding more and more like CPL players maybe didn't start the fight physically. Just going off the announcement, I don't see how they can not suspend CPL players if they did indeed start anything.

Doesn't mention anywhere in the SFL announcement about any CPL players getting suspended. Are you referring to the 2 week penalty Lucas already received for the on field incident? If so, that is completely irrelevant here. This investigation and announcement is based purely on the things that happened off the field.

Based on that announcement of MW getting fined and CPL not getting fined, MW supporters getting suspended and CPL players not getting suspended, one would easily conclude that the investigation must have yielded information we aren't privy to, and sounding more and more like CPL players maybe didn't start the fight physically. Just going off the announcement, I don't see how they can not suspend CPL players if they did indeed start anything.

My thoughts exactly Tigris

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Accept that both clubs got off lite and move on.

The most spineless, insipid and backward result ever. League had a chance to show some real leadership and more important COURAGE in this and have failed badly. A virtual slap on the wrist for one of the most disgraceful events in SFL history.

On that day the SFL Brand was significantly damaged by the events as every media outlet reported it in a negative light. Obviously with only a $2k fine imposed this provides a true indication of the SFL Brand Value. `Trash our Brand and you cop $2k fine`. Guaranteed in EDFL, Amos it would have been +$10k and suspension. It shows that we play and work out butts off in a tin can league with no Brand equity. What's the use.

powers and determination to stamp on this has been like hitting king kong with a feather. Pathetic on all counts.

I think the hardest part of the punishment is not awarding the premiership. MW were well on the way to breaking the drought and found a new way to mess it up. That's has to grind the teeth a little

Well now that the league has set a precedence, the next time we are in a Grand Final, I'm going to grab $10 off each player before the game. That way, if we're down at half time we can start an all in brawl (crowd involved as well) & get the game called off knowing we can pay the fine on the spot to the league on the day if needed. Sorted!

In 2007, MWFC were leading BRFC when rule 5.5.1 (head count) was invoked. Under rule 5.5.3 BRFC should have had their score wiped, but the SFL deemed there was confusion. When rule 5.5.1 is invoked, either rule 5.5.3 (score wiped) or 5.5.4 (free kick against and report of captain for delay in game) should be applied, depending on the result of the head count. Neither of these happened, and the SFL decided the AFL ruling not be upheld at this time.

In 2014, MWFC were leading CPLFC when at half time when a brawl not involving MWFC players commenced. SFL decided the match would not continue. AFL rules state that in this situation (Rule 10.6.2c) the match be awarded to the team in front at the time a match is cancelled.

In both these situations, AFL laws were not followed. In both situations, it can be argued it is the fault of the SFL that MWFC did not win.

I don't play at MWFC and am not affiliated with them, but I see no reason why they should stay in the SFL. They clearly have no respect for the AFL rules, and a similar situation of SFL not upholding AFL law is exactly what led to Canterbury leaving the SFL.

In 2007, MWFC were leading BRFC when rule 5.5.1 (head count) was invoked. Under rule 5.5.3 BRFC should have had their score wiped, but the SFL deemed there was confusion. When rule 5.5.1 is invoked, either rule 5.5.3 (score wiped) or 5.5.4 (free kick against and report of captain for delay in game) should be applied, depending on the result of the head count. Neither of these happened, and the SFL decided the AFL ruling not be upheld at this time.

In 2014, MWFC were leading CPLFC when at half time when a brawl not involving MWFC players commenced. SFL decided the match would not continue. AFL rules state that in this situation (Rule 10.6.2c) the match be awarded to the team in front at the time a match is cancelled.

In both these situations, AFL laws were not followed. In both situations, it can be argued it is the fault of the SFL that MWFC did not win.

I don't play at MWFC and am not affiliated with them, but I see no reason why they should stay in the SFL. They clearly have no respect for the AFL rules, and a similar situation of SFL not upholding AFL law is exactly what led to Canterbury leaving the SFL.
Tigris,only telling half the story is misleading at best, why don't you check the full facts of the story and you will be surprised or not to know that the AFL rules do not at all times apply to community leagues for a whole number of reasons. Canterbury left because they had a new ignorant and dumb President who took them away and to the EFL - what a great decision that was - not, aren't they in a third comp now? Yes best Mt Waverley leave and play in EFL - see how they fare, they wouldn't win a game in the EFL's worst division, and then do what foolish Canterbury have done and move again...

Tigris,only telling half the story is misleading at best, why don't you check the full facts of the story and you will be surprised or not to know that the AFL rules do not at all times apply to community leagues for a whole number of reasons.

What facts? The "brawl" is irrelevant. I don't care who started it, who finished it, not even arguing that point. It's irrelevant. What is relevant is the game was called off at half time. There is an AFL rule in place for that specific situation. And as I said, it's the second time, in a grand final no less, that the SFL have chosen to not uphold AFL rules. The 2007 incident was possibly even more shocking than this one in terms if blatantly ignoring AFL law.

If you reckon there are good reasons AFL rules don't apply, then educate us. Don't just come on here and troll people, it's not like i bagged out your club or anything, i'm looking at it from a pure SFL -> AFL rule ignoring perspective, CPL have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
The same argument could be made the other way if they awarded the premiership to Mt Wav. If you're up at half time by a point, your fans start a fight with the opposition team, match gets called off and you're the premiers. Both teams were at fault, both should have been fined the same and nobody awarded a premiership.

Anything more than a 2k fine would have ended the club. It still might. (10k would be ridiculous). Although no doubt a new club would emerge in its place and not pay any of the debt.

What facts? The "brawl" is irrelevant. I don't care who started it, who finished it, not even arguing that point. It's irrelevant. What is relevant is the game was called off at half time. There is an AFL rule in place for that specific situation. And as I said, it's the second time, in a grand final no less, that the SFL have chosen to not uphold AFL rules. The 2007 incident was possibly even more shocking than this one in terms if blatantly ignoring AFL law.

If you reckon there are good reasons AFL rules don't apply, then educate us. Don't just come on here and troll people, it's not like i bagged out your club or anything, i'm looking at it from a pure SFL -> AFL rule ignoring perspective, CPL have nothing to do with it.
Tigris there are many laws of Australian football that do not apply in community leagues for example the kicking out after appoint rule, how often do you see full backs jumping the fence to retrieve the ball after a point has been scored? not relevant at AFL level. Your point is about AFL rules not the rules neccesarily that community leagues abide by. The SFL would have received specific advise from AFL Vic on both these matters which I know for sure they did in 2014 and this is the outcome. Don't accuse me of trolling I follow the SFL from a distance and am certainly not aligned to any club probably go to 6 matches a year and a lot of finals with my supplier hat on. Listen to common sense that does not seem very common with you, read Saints post and that explains a very good reason why the AFL rule you refer to may not work at community leagues. As said and will re state Canterbury were very misguided by a President had no idea and lasted 5 minutes after he took the club into virtual oblivion.

Bounceback, agree with you but $10k would have doomed both clubs probably but the SFL should have taken much swifter and harsher action. 2 and a half months!!! What it says that you can bring the game into disrepute and get fined $2,000, effectively stop a show case for the league game through a brawl and get sent to the naughty corner - pathetic. I mentioned to you before that the previous regime would have dealt with it differently and remember the previous Manager rubbed out a club for what he believed in possibly against some of the SFL Board...

fair result, this whole situation would of been avoided if the boozed up mount supporters kept their distance and weren't encouraged to approach the cpl player leaving the ground. you would think mount would ban these blokes for life and kick them out of the club. my sources gave the indication the the 2's coach was the one doing the encouraging, not surprised really the blokes a flog and a coward.

in regards to the cpl player sniping, seperate incident, hes got his weeks end of story. bit of the pot calling the kettle black from mount pretty sure they have their fair share of snipers.

so thanks to both clubs for wasting the rest of the divisions year really appreciate it. at least there on consitancy..mount lost another gr
anny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back