SFL Division 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Any club admitted to the SFL should not clash jumpers with an existing SFL club as part of the conditions of entry. Realistically, Dingley should have been made to change, they used to play in red and black vertical stripes, likewise Bentleigh when they came back in. Both have had different strips before, mind you, you couldn't blame Bentleigh from changing that hideous green and gold. If I were at Chelsea Heights I would adopt the Richmond strip now Balwyn have gone. If Keysborough are admitted a change is necessary likewise Port Colts. Also when Clayton came back from the EFL they should have been made to change. When Port Adelaide entered the AFL they had to change strip. Makes sense to the integrity of the competition overall. Also if Mordialloc are considering the MPNFL they have rocks in their heads and have got way ahead of themselves. Win a flag or 2 in Division 1 before you want to step up a la Noble Park and Balwyn something they have not achieved in 26 years.

Last edited:
I'm still hearing rumours that Chelsea are contemplating a change of leagues due to financial reasons. I am lead to believe that they have written a letter last year to the MPNFL that they may consider changing leagues at the end of this season. Same as what Keysy had to do, although Chelsea have not had a members vote as such yet.

Surely Keysborough would start in Div 3.

When your sitting equal last and lose to the team directly above you by 70 points it shows how far behind they really are.
Not to mention the lack of depth, no Under 19s and their reserves have scored a total of 200 points from 15 games, thats an average of 13 points per game.

We aren't to behind, did beat doveton round 1 by 6-7 goals.. Who are now most likely going to play finals as well as nearly rolling pakenham only losing by a couple of goals. Injuries can't be used as an excuse for a footy club but this year has been horrific with a few injuries.. The reserves depth is struggling as you mentioned, but in saying that %85 of the players in the magoos are under 24..

We aren't to behind, did beat doveton round 1 by 6-7 goals.. Who are now most likely going to play finals as well as nearly rolling pakenham only losing by a couple of goals. Injuries can't be used as an excuse for a footy club but this year has been horrific with a few injuries.. The reserves depth is struggling as you mentioned, but in saying that %85 of the players in the magoos are under 24..

I am sure injuries have alot of to do with your performance this year. Everyone is at (or close to) full strength Round 1, so if you are running with and even knocking off teams like Doveton at full or close to full strength then that is pretty promising outlook to look forward to when they all come back.

Hows Joffa Humphreys going?

Ok, I will say something. East Brighton must have a lot of injuries because they were never really in the game. 2nd v 1st, 3 weeks to finals, had the makings for a massive game.

Their supporter base must have been injured as well because no one showed up to watch them, very disappointing!

Ok, I will say something. East Brighton must have a lot of injuries because they were never really in the game. 2nd v 1st, 3 weeks to finals, had the makings for a massive game.

Their supporter base must have been injured as well because no one showed up to watch them, very disappointing!

They've got heaps out. Same as when they played us. Hopefully they can get those players back on the park in time for finals because full strength it could go either way between the top 3.........

They've got heaps out. Same as when they played us. Hopefully they can get those players back on the park in time for finals because full strength it could go either way between the top 3.........

Do their supporters only turn out when the full team is in? Poor attendance for such a big game!

Should the SFL chase a team who wears: Crows, Cats, Hawks, Swans, Power, Dockers or Tigers then as no team wears them, just to avoid jumper clashes?? Kind of hard to knock back an interested club wanting to come across just because they wear the same colours....but I see your point.

Thinking ahead if Keysborough were to make it to first division (quite possible) then they would automatically clash with St Pauls

Incidentally Chelsea heights maybe wearing a Tigers guernsey in the future as a clash strip, as it was the strip worn in the South East Gippsland League once upon a time, or so I'm told.

I heard the Heights did entertain moving back to Yellow & Black, but decided against it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs 20 in three, possibly four matches. Wont be as easy to kick bags in finals against good defences, but he's had a super year.
Not sure he is too worried about. He had 7 at quarter time on Saturday and 10 at half time. He went off 5 minutes into the third quarter with a kick to the shin. Probably could have stayed on but the game was done. He has been the perfect recruit for us.

Needs 20 in three, possibly four matches. Wont be as easy to kick bags in finals against good defences, but he's had a super year.
He'd wanna kick a bag this week as I cant see him kicking many against McIntyre or Bowman in the finals.
Don't think he has a good record against good teams and especially in finals.

He'd wanna kick a bag this week as I cant see him kicking many against McIntyre or Bowman in the finals.
Don't think he has a good record against good teams and especially in finals.

I hope all of your players are going to be finally fit for the finals, they will need to be!

Don't worry so much about Francis, its the other 10 goal kickers that you wont be able to cover that will do the damage.

Port Colts were thrown out of the then SESFL in the late 70's after brawling in the first quarter of the Grand Final against St. Kilda City extended the quarter to over 50 minutes. Long time ago admittedly but apprehension still prevails around the Borough's second cousin.
***********************************************************************************
Points of order Mr Chairman. Firstly Port Colts had already made the decision to move to the then Footscray & District League now the Western League. The League knew this hence their harsh penalty to try and save face. St.Kilda City were just as complicent and some of their players committed some disgraceful acts and they received a slap on the wrist. Secondly Port Colts have never worn the Port Melbourne VFA jumpers so I cannot see the connection. Thirdly I recall seeing a couple of Port Colts onballers (one who ended playing with Sydney) getting seriously belted before the bounce. The subsequent fracas did indeed result in a 50 minute first quarter but as the old saying goes 'it takes two to tango'. How the umpires and all of the officials let the game proceed was beyond me. Finally Port Colts has played a number of 'praccy' matches against St.Pauls and they seemed to have come through the experience ok. I don't think there was any psycho analysis required at the Doggies. I am not sure which clubs would be apprehensive, perhaps St.Kilda City? After 34 years I am pretty sure that St.Kilda City and any other SFL team will have no problem playing an opponent that wears a Port Melbourne jumper. If anything some of the South District teams that were running around at the time were worst especially when Buster Harland and co was playing for them. Watching the Districts and Port Colts come up against Tooronga Malvern aka East Malvern was interesting as TM was made up of coppers who were some seriously big lads and were not afraid to give as good as they got. Tell the kids of today, and they won't believe you.(Yorkshire accent. Monty Python fans will understand)

Port Colts were thrown out of the then SESFL in the late 70's after brawling in the first quarter of the Grand Final against St. Kilda City extended the quarter to over 50 minutes. Long time ago admittedly but apprehension still prevails around the Borough's second cousin.
***********************************************************************************
Points of order Mr Chairman. Firstly Port Colts had already made the decision to move to the then Footscray & District League now the Western League. The League knew this hence their harsh penalty to try and save face. St.Kilda City were just as complicent and some of their players committed some disgraceful acts and they received a slap on the wrist. Secondly Port Colts have never worn the Port Melbourne VFA jumpers so I cannot see the connection. Thirdly I recall seeing a couple of Port Colts onballers (one who ended playing with Sydney) getting seriously belted before the bounce. The subsequent fracas did indeed result in a 50 minute first quarter but as the old saying goes 'it takes two to tango'. How the umpires and all of the officials let the game proceed was beyond me. Finally Port Colts has played a number of 'praccy' matches against St.Pauls and they seemed to have come through the experience ok. I don't think there was any psycho analysis required at the Doggies. I am not sure which clubs would be apprehensive, perhaps St.Kilda City? After 34 years I am pretty sure that St.Kilda City and any other SFL team will have no problem playing an opponent that wears a Port Melbourne jumper. If anything some of the South District teams that were running around at the time were worst especially when Buster Harland and co was playing for them. Watching the Districts and Port Colts come up against Tooronga Malvern aka East Malvern was interesting as TM was made up of coppers who were some seriously big lads and were not afraid to give as good as they got. Tell the kids of today, and they won't believe you.(Yorkshire accent. Monty Python fans will understand)

Rumour has it that Port won't come to the SFL unless they come straight into Division 1. Well get serious Port you'll come in where the SFL see you fit and if you don't like that then the WRFL is still there to kick your arse

Rumour has it that Port won't come to the SFL unless they come straight into Division 1. Well get serious Port you'll come in where the SFL see you fit and if you don't like that then the WRFL is still there to kick your arse
Keysborough tried to play the same card 3 years ago, now theyve come back, cap in hand

It is actually Mt Waverley from Div. 3 who are chasing a clearance to EFL. Getting ahead of themselves? You bet. They recruited based on promises of being accepted by the EFL. They "Guaranteed" a premiership in 2014.
Keysborough are a terribly run club, with no supporters and the ones they have you would expect to be hanging out at a bar in doveton.
Not a great move by the SFL to allow them to cross over. This will cost the league money within 5 years.

It is actually Mt Waverley from Div. 3 who are chasing a clearance to EFL. Getting ahead of themselves? You bet. They recruited based on promises of being accepted by the EFL. They "Guaranteed" a premiership in 2014.
Keysborough are a terribly run club, with no supporters and the ones they have you would expect to be hanging out at a bar in doveton.
Not a great move by the SFL to allow them to cross over. This will cost the league money within 5 years.

I don't like Keysborough, but you are incorrect. Once they are back playing locally their supporters will get back on-board, sponsorship and membership will follow. They do need to develop a junior club or establish affiliations in the local area.

If they can tap into the 1000's of families that are moving into the new estates that are being developed all around their Home Ground they will be back to being a power house within a few years. Dingley found the same and have flourished. Our club cannot wait until they are back to where they were, it will make beating them all the more enjoyable.

Absolutely gobsmacked with this one if true. Been rubbish for years, haven't won a flag, sit in Division 3 talk about visions of grandeur, win a Premiership or 2 before you start getting out to the EFL, They don't have a Div 5 in the EFL yet do they? What goes on with these clubs? Let me say it just once Mt Waverley would get absolutely plastered in Division 2 unless there was a massive turnaround and most Division 3 clubs in the EFL would belt the Div 2 clubs in Southern. Mount need a 5th Division in the EFL if they think that's the place to go! Try and eke out a bit of success where you are rather than finish runners up in the lowest grade! Sheesh! Went into recess some years ago, good effort to resurrect it but get serious Mount, you have your collective heads in a place that's not good!

Last edited:
Absolutely gobsmacked with this one if true. Been rubbish for years, haven't won a flag, sit in Division 3 talk about visions of grandeur, win a Premiership or 2 before you start getting out to the EFL, They don't have a Div 5 in the EFL yet do they? What goes on with these clubs? Let me say it just once Mt Waverley would get absolutely plastered in Division 2 unless there was a massive turnaround and most Division 3 clubs in the EFL would belt the Div 2 clubs in Southern. Mount need a 5th Division in the EFL if they think that's the place to go! Try and eke out a bit of success where you are rather than finish runners up in the lowest grade! Sheesh! Went into recess some years ago, good effort to resurrect it but get serious Mount, you have your collective heads in a place that's not good!

I can tell you, having played in Div 1 recently, and now at CPL, there would be no "plastering" going on. We beat Skye and Caulfield pretty comfortably in pre-season and knowing what sides like Heatherton are like, Mt Waverley would make the Div 2 finals, as is, pretty easily.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back