SFL Division 2 - 2013

Who will win SFL Div 2 Final in 2013

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not everyone at Bentleigh is afraid of needles, and I'm not talking tattoo's am i fish????

But ofcourse you'll come back with your same old remarks, I'm not from bentleigh, no we do not have a problem with drug use at our club, no-one in our leadership group was appointed in the hope of straightening them out. you bore me with your same old remarks when responding to questions.

Not everyone at Bentleigh is afraid of needles, and I'm not talking tattoo's am i fish????

But ofcourse you'll come back with your same old remarks, I'm not from bentleigh, no we do not have a problem with drug use at our club, no-one in our leadership group was appointed in the hope of straightening them out. you bore me with your same old remarks when responding to questions.

Shhh, you were meant to keep our use of AOD9604 off Big Footy ;)

And then there were 4 ....

2nd Semi
Bentleigh ($1.70) v Oakleigh Districts ($2.40). Oakleigh scored more against Mordi, 93 points, than anyone else this season. That tells me they are hitting their straps at the business end. Then again, so are Bentleigh, and I can easily see these two playing each other again in a fortnight's time. Bentleigh have very good set-ups at stoppages although their no 54 hits to the one spot all the time. Bentleigh's two strengths are 1. their mids spread hard and do it all game long, and 2. they have better depth than the rest of the comp. The narrow ground may suit Oakleigh here but Bentleigh will get there in the end and earn the week off. Expect them to kick away at the end.

1st Semi
Mordialloc ($1.90) v Murrumbeena ($1.90). The Lions would have been happy with the grit shown in the second half. It was a dirty day for footy and often the result between 2 evenly matched teams on these days are a raffle. Jonesy's got them playing with passion and they get winning results from staying close and outlasting the opposition. This week it will be hard to create leading space for Willis on this tight ground and Mordialloc are so good at clearing from defence once the ball hits the deck. Mordi's weakness is out wide so this ground suits them. Its a flip of the coin, the Bloods in extra time.

The Magoos; Bentleigh and Murrumbeena

THE PRELIM

Oakleigh Districts to beat Mordialloc by 3 goals. Last time they meet Oakleigh won by only 8 points but, importantly, they had 8 more scoring shots. The Bloods are clearly the best defensive side in divi 2 and that effects your accuracy. Further proof is they kept Willis goalless last week. Not sure if Fermanis will go forward but I would be pushing him forward and making sure guys like Killerup and Howdy Doody lookalike, Carroll (if you don't believe me, google Howdy Doody) cover Anstey, Scafidi and Terrell down the spine when they are coming out. I just can't see much changing from 2 weeks ago and both teams know each other intimately now.

Bentleigh may wish for the two teams to belt the bejeezus out of each other, but they will be suffering the other way - only playing one game in the 27 days leading up to the GF.

That prelim on the weekend was one of the best local footy games I have seen in years. Oakleigh wasted opportunities in the first quarter - they really should've been 5-6 goals up at qtr time for all the play they had. Mordi fought back hard, but there was some interesting tactics. Why the hell was Keillerup - who was dominating early - put in the forward line in the 3rd qtr? Oaks couldn't get they ball down there and he was just left sitting there out of the play! Should've been moved to half back to give them some much needed drive into the forward line. The last qtr was very hard fought and had everything. Mordi put Barnhoorn back as a loose man in defence and I thought he played the role to perfection. Stopped a lot of forward entries from Oakleigh. Hacket for Oakleigh was his opponent and he should've been told to match up on Barnhoorn earlier - because when he finally did he pulled in a massive mark & goaled. Cyril's goal on the run from 50 was something special - Oaks should've had the game won when he kicked that. There were some very questionable umpiring decisions at crucial stages in the last quarter, Oakleigh would feel a bit robbed I'm guessing. And they clearly missed Fermanis. Full credit to Mordi though - they never gave up. And Crilley's tap work in the ruck was awesome.

And for the record Freddie I tipped Bentleigh to win Seniors, Reserves & U19s flags about 3 weeks ago...

The planets seemed to have finally aligned and the moment has arrived for Bentleigh to get back into Division 1. It has been a long 15 years since they left the SFL and go to the Ammos. A lot of hard work by a lot of dedicated people. Well done.

Everything suggests that Bentleigh will celebrate three premierships on Saturday, and then the ensuing weeks. Mordialloc will put up a strong fight after their gutsy win against Oakleigh Districts. What toll did it take on them? Was this their Grand Final? Both teams claimed respective honours at their home ground during the home and away. Can Mordialloc strangle Bentleigh's flair? It will be a great game.

In the Magoos Fish and his fellow veterans prepare for another Grand Final. You would never get sick of that and then enjoying the day. Three wins overs Skye 7pts, 8 pts and 31 pts suggests that Bentleigh will continue their winning streak. Skye may agree to disagree as there has been a strong rivalry between these two teams.

The Under 19's had a slow start to the season tieing in their first game against rivals Skye then being comprehensively beaten by Murrumbeena in Round 2.From there on they never lost another game. Murrumbeena have played three gruelling finals, losing the Qualifying final and winning the first semi by 3 points and then getting revenge for the qualifying final loss by beating Skye by a heartbreaking point in the Preliminary final. To add further spice this is a repeat of last season's Under 18 Grand Final. Both teams level at 3/4 time, until Bentleigh got away in the last quarter.Will histroy repeat?

What a Cinderella story for Murrumbeena if they manage to get up.

Good luck to all.

The Grand Final

Bentleigh ($1.60) v Mordialloc ($4.00)

It has been a very even season for the top 6 teams this year. The last two rounds showed how precarious teams were placed as games, often decided on by a kick, had a big impact on where teams were going to finish. The double chance has certainly paid off for Mordialloc. They played a Fermanis-less Oakleigh Districts last week, turned the tables and they won by a solitary point. The footy gods have shown apon them.

Bentleigh have finished the year strongly and were the only top team to draw away from the pack. They have been winning convincingly since round 12 and, importantly, had a strong win against the Bloods in round 16 when there was everything on the line for Mordialloc.

Bentleigh run harder than everyone else and bat deep down, right down to the bench. There's a group of reserves players that would start on the field for any other divi 2 team. This club is the best ran in the competition and they have ticked evry box to ensure they are well and truely ready for division 1.

Mordi's strength will come from the experienced finals player from St. Bede's. They will give it their all and won't panic, ever. Anstey, Terrel and Scafidi will need big shoulders to carry this club to unexpected win. Grand finals can bring about the unexpected.

At the end of the day I believe the Bloods won't be able to keep up. Look for Mordi to slow the game up to when possible because they are going to struggle to keep up with Bentleigh's fitness on this warm and fast day. Similar to their season, look for Bentleigh to draw away as the game goes on.

The Reserves: I'm with Balls Of Steel, I reckon Bentleigh will win three flags this weekend.

I can't believe Bentleigh appointed the coach they did. Obviously no background checks go on there???? Kicked out of his last 3 clubs, no respect given by any of his players by the halfway point of the season on all occasions, and has the ability to turn players against each other.
Good work Bentleigh???? Atleast you'll be fit, but wont help without a game plan.

Quoted for lulz Haha

The Final Post

Congratulations to Bentleigh on their Premiership. It tops off a great win from a club that are going places. They are primed to take on Division 1 and are unlikely to see relegation for several years.

Well done to Mordi to have made it to the Big Dance. If they improve again next year, they will get another crack at it. They have had a taste.

To the Fish man, thanks for your posts all year. My sincere condolences if you played in the twos today. The Skye boys got ahead, got excited and really took the game on.

Enjoy the cricket
Freddie Washington

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to the Murrumbeena Under 19's on winning the flag. Absolutely incredible performance considering they had no bench for most of the finals and were coming off three gruelling finals matches, their coach walking out early in the season and an opponent that had the benefit of week's rest and a full bench. It just demonstrates that if you want something badly enough you will make it happen.

That was one of the best efforts in a granny I've ever seen... They were gooorrrrrne multiple times!! Couple long left footers out of the middle, straight down the ground..Couple big contested marks. Straight kicks for goal. And with 3 minutes to go they've hit the front. Was brilliant to watch.

Lets not make excuses for the Bentleigh 2's. Check the records, its the same team they have played pretty much all year.
Unlike benleigh, Skye havent won back to back flags and just wanted it more on the day.
Bentleigh unfarmiliar with losing, just couldnt seem to get back into form when times got tough.
I expected Skye to win.. Just not by that much

Congrats to Murrumbeena in the 19s, and Bentleighs 1s, glad we wont be playing yous next year:D

Lets not make excuses for the Bentleigh 2's. Check the records, its the same team they have played pretty much all year.
Unlike benleigh, Skye havent won back to back flags and just wanted it more on the day.
Bentleigh unfarmiliar with losing, just couldnt seem to get back into form when times got tough.
I expected Skye to win.. Just not by that much

Congrats to Murrumbeena in the 19s, and Bentleighs 1s, glad we wont be playing yous next year:D

No excuses coming from Bentleigh 2s, we got our arses handed to us, plain & simple. It was our 8th loss in 101 games, not a bad effort except 2 of those losses are Grand Finals (yes I'm a tragic that keeps count ;) )

Skye were far more hungrier than us & won the contested ball pretty much all over the ground. Their crowd made up of 3 squads + non playing supporters was electrifying (not that I enjoyed it on the day :D ) almost created a 19th man on the field. Congrats to Skye on the win, probably still celebrating & so they should, cos 2s premierships do matter.

It will be changing of the guard at Bentleigh in 2014 as we go up to division 1, with a number of over 30s retiring & serveral colts players elevating to senior ranks. So there'll be a more youthful looking side that will be developed for future 1s footy.

I bet most are looking forward to only 8 weeks left to preseason ;) :D

odfc to win the grand final next year 2014 is there year

Retain the services of Velardo & Oakleigh will go a long way in achieving in this. Was the most dynamic forward in the comp this year & rarely missed. Fermanis getting injured at the wrong time of year didn't help their cause in September, such an important player to them. Most people tipped ODFC finish out of the final 5 this year with the losses of Elvis, Issacs & Arvanitis who was rumoured to have wanted to come back half way through the year, well they finished 2nd after the H & A rounds.
Next year the demoted Div 1 team Highett won't be a powerhouse in Div 2 unless they can go on a recruiting drive so the early premiership race will be out of Oakleigh & Mordi I reckon followed by a now cashed up Springy after securing Div 1 finals again. Could 2014 be the year Oakleigh break the hoo doo?

Back