SFL Division Two - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skye on top. They have recruited well down there but they did finish 8th last year and Black Rock who have also recruited ok beat them by 10ish goals in the last game. Why have Fermanis and Arvianitis been rejected, did they sign contracts. If those 2 are not playing it brings Oakleigh back to the field a bit. I hear Skye have knocked back 3 to CH as they have already cleared 6 players there and the SFL rule states you can only have 5 players from 1 SFL club to another. Bentleigh looked fairly sluggish against Heatherton from all reports in there practice match but don't know what they had missing. A lot of Hamptons ins are just footballers too and they have lost quite a few to retirements etc. Don't know much about East Malverns recruits (anyone have info)but they are from Goulburn Valley league so would assume they will be very strong as have the last 2 Div 1teams that have come down.Div2 looks like it will be a very tight comp. I'll have a go at a ladder.

East Malvern
Oakleigh
Springvale
Skye
Bentleigh
Murrumbeena
Black Rock
Southern Dragons
Hampton
South Yarra

Quality post Mene Gene, with some good insight. May be I could fill in some gaps on the teams you've touched on, whether it be informed or otherwise. I also may be going over old ground here as well

Skye: Not being a smartass or blowing wind in your sails, but you guys are the team to beat in my humble opinion. Have lost a few to Chelsea Heights but have recuited some quality players from MPNFL - more than 30 players in total to the club, as well as colts coming through. Depth will surely not be a problem for Skye this year, so deserved favourites even though they finished 8th last year.

Black Rock: Lost a few, (but those few are big outs) but gained a few. I'd imagine they'd around the same mark as last year.

Oakleigh: Not sure what the go is with Fermanis & Big Arvo is with clearances, but this could theoretically make or break their season. One could surmise that they have signed contracts, even for more than 1 season, which is what country teams are putting on the table these days, to keep players coming back. I've nosily enquired on the Central Highlands board, but no one from Bungaree has been forthcoming with any info on Fermanis. Maybe ROOTA#06 (an avid reader of Big Footy) from Lalbert can give some insight on Arvanitis' status?? Or he may tell us to mind our Ps & Qs as well ;)

Bentleigh: What you saw at Heatherton is what you'll get. You might say sluggish, some might say still blowing out a few cobwebs from preseason. Might have to give Heatherton a bit of credit as well, they're SFL Div 1 for a reason & they've recuited well in the offseason. Got a couple of key on ballers to go back into our side, so we'll be on the improve.

Hampton: You White Maggot has been pumping up Hamptons tyres all summer with 6-8 Hampton Rovers players coming across, so proof will be in the pudding whether they're "just footballers." Bare in mind they're probably young blokes who have played C Section VAFA (SFL Div 1 equivalent) so they will be decent. SFL radio on Sunday also decribed them as "fringe VAFA C Grade players." We have got them first up this Saturday so we'll find out soon enough. Did lose a praccy match to Fish Creek by 40pts, but would have had a lot of players playing cricket finals for East Sandy then. We're not taking them lightly, that is for sure.

East Malvern: A team that has flown under the radar, so cannot give any more info than you have. Have come down from SFL Div 1, have a new coach from Strathmore & recuited player from Goulburn Valley as you say. That makes them genuine contenders in my book.

Your ladder is pretty much spot on, I know you're being modest about Skye (will be top 2). I'd just push Hampton up a bit going on You White Maggot's judgement

I doubt we are favourites to finish onto of the ladder, that is just to put un necessary pressure on us, we are not partaking in any of that. I dare say Our goal is nothing but just Finals, whether it be 5th or 1st i dont think anyone really cares to tell ya the truth. If we make the finals, which with the recruits we got is massively achievable, then the season starts again from there.

Based on everything East Malvern, Oakleigh, Bentleigh and Springvale should theoretically still be ranked above Skye FC.

Anyways enough of yearly predictions lets start with round 1

Some ripper writeups by you blokes, its been a real good read so I am gunna give it a shot, dont know as much as you blokes but here we go:

Bentleigh v Hampton: Some mixed messages comin from Bentleigh, and their praccy match form aint been good, but i do believe that they have not had there full teams at all in any praccy matches, and yet some very good players from their 1st's are still carrying injuries, But to say they wont be a strong contender again is ridicolous, It sounds like Hampton have improved, i hear there ruck stocks arnt great so that needs to improve, so I am tipping bentliegh by 4 goals.

East Malvern v Skye: Here we go, i know we are pumped down and wedge rd and that is because we have a Tough assignment 1st up. They tell us winning at the Snakepit is one of the hardest wins you will have in the SFL!! I know the boys are pumped, they are all fit, and they are raring to go!! But Pater has warned us several times, dont carried away with praccy match form, the Malvern boys have recruited extremely well, they are a Div 1 club that has come down, all signs point to one of the hardest games of the year!! Malvern are a unknown entity right now, and to tell ay the truth, so are Skye i reckon, the changes to the senior team are almost wholesale, in a good way though!! God knows my fat a$$ belongs in the ressies, I am obviously going to tip us, and i honestly believe we will win, but the boys are gunna have to give everything to get over the line!! Skye by 10pts.

Southern Dragons v Black Rock: I tell ya this could be game of the round!!! I am seriously tipping this on home ground advantage!! if this was at Black Rock i would tip them!! Alot of departures from Blacvk Rock but they still seem happy of where they are at right now, I have played against Black Rock quite alot and they are always competitive including beating us late last year to stay in divvy 2. The Dragons, SFL's favourite team who love getting themselves in the Herald sun, When i played against them they were very raw, Last years div 3 performance was fantastic, but can they cut the grade in div 2, tiime will only tell, once again i have very limitied knowledge on there squad so i am going home ground advantage in this one. Dragons by 24pts

Oakleigh v Murrumbeena: Well here we go, The MadMan's premiership favourites in my opinion, Oakleigh are a tough side, they have a tough home ground, Isaac is a star in my opinion and they just will be too strong. Murrumbeena are interesting, once again i have heard very little, but am of the opinion that divvy 2 this year will be a case scenario of anyone can beat anyone on any given day, especially in the first 10 rounds!! But even though improvement will come from beena, oakleigh will be too strong at home: Oakleigh by 33 pts

Springvale v South Yarra: well what do ya say here, I feel for Sth Yarra as they clearly have been stuffed around a bit and then there new coach has had to deal with a Mass exodus!! but they just have to take this year as a learning curve, develop their youth and dont under estimate how bloody annoying it is to play at their home ground!! If they can develop a game plan that suits there home ground they will suprise teams big time on that piece of crap home ground/facilities. They will win home games, but away, at springvale which could actually be double the size, on a fri night with a big crowd, damn this could get messy!! I will be there, and then i will develop an educated opinion on both sides. Im just going to say Springvale will win

Im looking forward to this year, everyone will be confident going into round 1 of their seasons chances and so they should!! Teams like Oakleigh, Bentliegh, Springvale, East Malvern, Hampton are all quality sides who should be aiming at making the top division, just like our club, just like all clubs. By Round 3 we will all know alot more, injuries and depth will be a major factor this year!!

Only 2 hampton rovers have gone to the hammers, one played every senior game last year, the other only played one reserves game. Dont know where the 6-8 number has come from.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there were any clubs looking for a once was qualified trainer looking to get back in to the craft and maybe earn some extra pocket money. I can send some references if you would like to know more information Please pm me

Thanks

Quality post Mene Gene, with some good insight. May be I could fill in some gaps on the teams you've touched on, whether it be informed or otherwise. I also may be going over old ground here as well

Skye: Not being a smartass or blowing wind in your sails, but you guys are the team to beat in my humble opinion. Have lost a few to Chelsea Heights but have recuited some quality players from MPNFL - more than 30 players in total to the club, as well as colts coming through. Depth will surely not be a problem for Skye this year, so deserved favourites even though they finished 8th last year.

Black Rock: Lost a few, (but those few are big outs) but gained a few. I'd imagine they'd around the same mark as last year.

Oakleigh: Not sure what the go is with Fermanis & Big Arvo is with clearances, but this could theoretically make or break their season. One could surmise that they have signed contracts, even for more than 1 season, which is what country teams are putting on the table these days, to keep players coming back. I've nosily enquired on the Central Highlands board, but no one from Bungaree has been forthcoming with any info on Fermanis. Maybe ROOTA#06 (an avid reader of Big Footy) from Lalbert can give some insight on Arvanitis' status?? Or he may tell us to mind our Ps & Qs as well ;)

Bentleigh: What you saw at Heatherton is what you'll get. You might say sluggish, some might say still blowing out a few cobwebs from preseason. Might have to give Heatherton a bit of credit as well, they're SFL Div 1 for a reason & they've recuited well in the offseason. Got a couple of key on ballers to go back into our side, so we'll be on the improve.

Hampton: You White Maggot has been pumping up Hamptons tyres all summer with 6-8 Hampton Rovers players coming across, so proof will be in the pudding whether they're "just footballers." Bare in mind they're probably young blokes who have played C Section VAFA (SFL Div 1 equivalent) so they will be decent. SFL radio on Sunday also decribed them as "fringe VAFA C Grade players." We have got them first up this Saturday so we'll find out soon enough. Did lose a praccy match to Fish Creek by 40pts, but would have had a lot of players playing cricket finals for East Sandy then. We're not taking them lightly, that is for sure.

East Malvern: A team that has flown under the radar, so cannot give any more info than you have. Have come down from SFL Div 1, have a new coach from Strathmore & recuited player from Goulburn Valley as you say. That makes them genuine contenders in my book.

Your ladder is pretty much spot on, I know you're being modest about Skye (will be top 2). I'd just push Hampton up a bit going on You White Maggot's judgement

I'd love to be able to tell you what is happening with the Arvo situation but I have absolutely no idea what is going on. I really like the big guy and was hoping we would get him on board for this season as we didn't see the best of him last year but it is not to be. Not sure whether he had a contract, owes money, he may still have a jumper or 4 coz he was bloody hopeless at bringing them each week:D

Some ripper writeups by you blokes, its been a real good read so I am gunna give it a shot, dont know as much as you blokes but here we go:

Bentleigh v Hampton: Some mixed messages comin from Bentleigh, and their praccy match form aint been good, but i do believe that they have not had there full teams at all in any praccy matches, and yet some very good players from their 1st's are still carrying injuries, But to say they wont be a strong contender again is ridicolous, It sounds like Hampton have improved, i hear there ruck stocks arnt great so that needs to improve, so I am tipping bentliegh by 4 goals.

East Malvern v Skye: Here we go, i know we are pumped down and wedge rd and that is because we have a Tough assignment 1st up. They tell us winning at the Snakepit is one of the hardest wins you will have in the SFL!! I know the boys are pumped, they are all fit, and they are raring to go!! But Pater has warned us several times, dont carried away with praccy match form, the Malvern boys have recruited extremely well, they are a Div 1 club that has come down, all signs point to one of the hardest games of the year!! Malvern are a unknown entity right now, and to tell ay the truth, so are Skye i reckon, the changes to the senior team are almost wholesale, in a good way though!! God knows my fat a$$ belongs in the ressies, I am obviously going to tip us, and i honestly believe we will win, but the boys are gunna have to give everything to get over the line!! Skye by 10pts.

Southern Dragons v Black Rock: I tell ya this could be game of the round!!! I am seriously tipping this on home ground advantage!! if this was at Black Rock i would tip them!! Alot of departures from Blacvk Rock but they still seem happy of where they are at right now, I have played against Black Rock quite alot and they are always competitive including beating us late last year to stay in divvy 2. The Dragons, SFL's favourite team who love getting themselves in the Herald sun, When i played against them they were very raw, Last years div 3 performance was fantastic, but can they cut the grade in div 2, tiime will only tell, once again i have very limitied knowledge on there squad so i am going home ground advantage in this one. Dragons by 24pts

Oakleigh v Murrumbeena: Well here we go, The MadMan's premiership favourites in my opinion, Oakleigh are a tough side, they have a tough home ground, Isaac is a star in my opinion and they just will be too strong. Murrumbeena are interesting, once again i have heard very little, but am of the opinion that divvy 2 this year will be a case scenario of anyone can beat anyone on any given day, especially in the first 10 rounds!! But even though improvement will come from beena, oakleigh will be too strong at home: Oakleigh by 33 pts

Springvale v South Yarra: well what do ya say here, I feel for Sth Yarra as they clearly have been stuffed around a bit and then there new coach has had to deal with a Mass exodus!! but they just have to take this year as a learning curve, develop their youth and dont under estimate how bloody annoying it is to play at their home ground!! If they can develop a game plan that suits there home ground they will suprise teams big time on that piece of crap home ground/facilities. They will win home games, but away, at springvale which could actually be double the size, on a fri night with a big crowd, damn this could get messy!! I will be there, and then i will develop an educated opinion on both sides. Im just going to say Springvale will win

Im looking forward to this year, everyone will be confident going into round 1 of their seasons chances and so they should!! Teams like Oakleigh, Bentliegh, Springvale, East Malvern, Hampton are all quality sides who should be aiming at making the top division, just like our club, just like all clubs. By Round 3 we will all know alot more, injuries and depth will be a major factor this year!!
Heard that Jason Yap from dragons, sfl div3 bnf is not pulling the boots on this year? big void to fill in the midfield, and also i hear blackrocks new recruits are exciting prospects, some from divvy 1 footy background, should get them over the line.

Heard that Jason Yap from dragons, sfl div3 bnf is not pulling the boots on this year? big void to fill in the midfield, and also i hear blackrocks new recruits are exciting prospects, some from divvy 1 footy background, should get them over the line.

Jase is concentrating on his PT / tennis coaching business. The club hopes that he may be able to pull on the boots for a few games, but obviously understand that work takes precedence. After all, he rejected big coin from large EFL & NFL clubs to instead play with his mates last year, and helped us bag a flag...

This may also open up a can of worms, but just out of curiosity, which club/s would have the biggest payroll in Div2??

Jase is concentrating on his PT / tennis coaching business. The club hopes that he may be able to pull on the boots for a few games, but obviously understand that work takes precedence. After all, he rejected big coin from large EFL & NFL clubs to instead play with his mates last year, and helped us bag a flag...

This may also open up a can of worms, but just out of curiosity, which club/s would have the biggest payroll in Div2??

top 3 black rock/ skye / oakliegh .:)

you have to remember i dont come cheap:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

top 3 black rock/ skye / oakliegh .:)

you have to remember i dont come cheap:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I do try and avoid posting on here but the above post is ludicrous. To state black rock fc is a club that has a large playing budget is so far from the truth it isn't funny. Let's leave it at this - there is one club in division 2 paying a certain player a large sum per game which is larger than our entire weekly budget. I won't name clubs but a team in div2 pay incentives rather than paying several key players this still works out to be far more than our playing budget and a club just down the road has increased there budget for the 2012 season which is now far more substantial than our 2012 budget. I would hate to know what the higher paying clubs are spending. Make no mistake we would love to have a larger budget but the viability of the football club is a priority and also investing money into a junior infrastructure far outweighs increasing our budget for short term gain. Credit to the clubs that can afford to outlay a large sum of money it certainly strengthens the competition. Good luck to all clubs/players/umpires and officials for the 2012 season. Finally would like to thank sfl board member Ian Dougherty for attending our seasons launch.(sorry no paragraphs on iphone)

There is no way in Hell that Skye FC are in the top 3 of player payments in Div 2

I believe that our supposed player payments have maybe increased a little from last year, but it would not be anywhere near what you blokes think it is or in the top 5 or 6 of Div 2 clubs

I will accept the fact that I am making a guess here as i no longer am on the committee or really in the know, but i hang around enough blokes to know that there aint really any big money goin through the joint

You know what they say though, every club would love to be able to spend money on quality players but no one wants to admit they do it, its pretty hypocritical really!!

But id be happy for you blokes to think what ya want, hey I play reserves and im on $450 a game, thats how rich we are!!!!!!!!

I do try and avoid posting on here but the above post is ludicrous. To state black rock fc is a club that has a large playing budget is so far from the truth it isn't funny. Let's leave it at this - there is one club in division 2 paying a certain player a large sum per game which is larger than our entire weekly budget. I won't name clubs but a team in div2 pay incentives rather than paying several key players this still works out to be far more than our playing budget and a club just down the road has increased there budget for the 2012 season which is now far more substantial than our 2012 budget. I would hate to know what the higher paying clubs are spending. Make no mistake we would love to have a larger budget but the viability of the football club is a priority and also investing money into a junior infrastructure far outweighs increasing our budget for short term gain. Credit to the clubs that can afford to outlay a large sum of money it certainly strengthens the competition. Good luck to all clubs/players/umpires and officials for the 2012 season. Finally would like to thank sfl board member Ian Dougherty for attending our seasons launch.(sorry no paragraphs on iphone)

ghtyre

1. Let's leave it at this - there is one club in division 2 paying a certain player a large sum per game which is larger than our entire weekly budget. I won't name clubs but a team in div2 pay incentives rather than paying several key players this still works out to be far more than our playing budget and a club just down the road has increased there budget for the 2012 season which is now far more substantial than our 2012 budget. Its no secret that we pay incentives to only the top few best players on a particular day. I think this is the fairest way of rewarding players, but don't forget this amount is only for a win, it is more than halved if there is a loss.

2. Make no mistake we would love to have a larger budget but the viability of the football club is a priority and also investing money into a junior infrastructure far outweighs increasing our budget for short term gain. I think for the long term future, its in Black Rock's best interest to attempt a push for junior teams. However, through no fault of your own, you're surrounded by some very strong established junior clubs like: East Sandy, Beaumaris, Hampton Rovers & Cheltenham. Bare in mind St Bedes & Highett aren't too far down the road either, but kudos for such future plans. I know Oakleigh Districts & Heatherton attempted to get a junior program up & running this year, but for not much success

3.Credit to the clubs that can afford to outlay a large sum of money it certainly strengthens the competition. I kept hearing last year that Springvale Districts had a budget of approx $60K & that this year Oakleigh have a bit hand around, but this is all just hear say

See above

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My tips!
Springvale by plenty, 20 plus goal win.
bentleigh by 4 goals, is plapp playing? If so i will say 10 goal win!
East malvern by 3 goals.
Black rock by a kick, both sies have lostkey players. Black rock only with the experince of divvy 2!
Oakleigh by 8 goals, too much class for the beena to handle.

Top 5:
East malvern
Bentleigh
Springvale
Oakleigh
Sky
Hampton
Murrumbeena
Black rock
Dragons
South yarra

My tips!
Springvale by plenty, 20 plus goal win.
bentleigh by 4 goals, is plapp playing? If so i will say 10 goal win!
East malvern by 3 goals.
Black rock by a kick, both sies have lostkey players. Black rock only with the experince of divvy 2!
Oakleigh by 8 goals, too much class for the beena to handle.

Top 5:
East malvern
Bentleigh
Springvale
Oakleigh
Sky
Hampton
Murrumbeena
Black rock
Dragons
South yarra
Ppp
Preimer: bentleigh
b&f: fermanis

See above

Please don't treat my post as a negative, I was simply stating that our playing budget is certainly at the lower end of the scale. Beaumaris fc is the second largest football club in Australia and they have numerous junior teams training and playing on our ground along with Beaumaris North Primary running an Auskick program on Saturday mornings. Beaumaris JFC have 22 plus teams so there is no reason why black rock fc can't start to build a junior club from the ground up.

Please don't treat my post as a negative, I was simply stating that our playing budget is certainly at the lower end of the scale. Beaumaris fc is the second largest football club in Australia and they have numerous junior teams training and playing on our ground along with Beaumaris North Primary running an Auskick program on Saturday mornings. Beaumaris JFC have 22 plus teams so there is no reason why black rock fc can't start to build a junior club from the ground up.

No offense taken mate :)

Sounds like there's an abundance of kids down that way so you're dead right, why not coax some of those kids down to BR if they're already playing on your ground.

On a side note, I see the new scribe for Div 2 from Black Rock already throwing in his usual light hearted anecdotes in the record :D. I expect an amusing read each out of him each week. Finals player descriptions are his speciality ;)

No offense taken mate :)

Sounds like there's an abundance of kids down that way so you're dead right, why not coax some of those kids down to BR if they're already playing on your ground.

On a side note, I see the new scribe for Div 2 from Black Rock already throwing in his usual light hearted anecdotes in the record :D. I expect an amusing read each out of him each week. Finals player descriptions are his speciality ;)

Correct, we only found out tonight that the sfl asked him to write for the record this week. He has been great for the football club but may have been a little optimistic tipping us to win by 40plus points. I'm sure it will be a lot closer than that. Might get him to create an alias for the next 17 rounds Haha

Silverbirch, from reports i hear a handful of premiership players have followed Yap into retirement.. I watched the dragons in their inspirational come from behind win against Moorabin in the prelim last year. IMO the turning point was when Yap clashed with Stynes and didn't back down to a much bigger guy, then all of a sudden the dragons seemed to lift. It just shows that he is a star and the courageous leader of the dragons so i agree that his absence is really big shoes for the dragons to fill. It would have been great to see him going head to head with the best mids in Div2 but it is very unfortunate that we will not get to see it. I don't think the dragons will be anything close to the outfit they were last year without him and will struggle.

My prediction Black Rock comfortably by 50 points

Hampton is a great place to be mate, especially at this year. We're flying under the radar as they say, but there is a huge buzz around the place!:thumbsu::thumbsu: We would never say no to a Ruckman! Forget Blackrock, Peterson st is where you want to be.:D:D:D:D:D

Did Fermanis play JIMMY? And how did Arvanitis go? Geez there's a couple of ego's between those two! How will you manage to fit them into the same side?..:cool::cool::cool::cool:

thats just the stink of the chite cumming outta yer mooth yar big heap of landfill have a great year down the bottom of the ladder .

Silverbirch, from reports i hear a handful of premiership players have followed Yap into retirement.. I watched the dragons in their inspirational come from behind win against Moorabin in the prelim last year. IMO the turning point was when Yap clashed with Stynes and didn't back down to a much bigger guy, then all of a sudden the dragons seemed to lift. It just shows that he is a star and the courageous leader of the dragons so i agree that his absence is really big shoes for the dragons to fill. It would have been great to see him going head to head with the best mids in Div2 but it is very unfortunate that we will not get to see it. I don't think the dragons will be anything close to the outfit they were last year without him and will struggle.

My prediction Black Rock comfortably by 50 points

yap was engine room and inspirational leader and its going to be very intersting how these boys go in div 2 without him, but from all reports they have picked up a few handy players and they are a tight playing group that play for eachother and have a crack. only took notice of these guys after seeing them in the paper a few times and without doubt an amazing story of how far theyve come. im hoping the sons soccergame doesnt drag on too long so i can get down to keeley reserve for a squiz.

yap was engine room and inspirational leader and its going to be very intersting how these boys go in div 2 without him, but from all reports they have picked up a few handy players and they are a tight playing group that play for eachother and have a crack. only took notice of these guys after seeing them in the paper a few times and without doubt an amazing story of how far theyve come. im hoping the sons soccergame doesnt drag on too long so i can get down to keeley reserve for a squiz.

I have to bloody work too so can't make it so please give us a report of the game if you get the chance. I'm very interested to see how the dragons handle this higher division with Hilton as new coach and without their gun in the guts.

Keen to hear some feedback on the games from today. Murrumbeena have to be the surprise of the round. Are they a contender, or has Oakleigh dropped off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back