Toast Shane Kersten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would include Murdoch in that list to be honest. Watching him in the last few weeks as the lead up forward (from the forward 50 > wing area), he almost always jumps to take the mark on his chest/hands thus precluding the defender from getting an easy spoil in. He certainly doesn't lead out with his arms in the air like a traditional forward which i think is a big plus for him.

yeh good one. Murdoch does have very good hops. Burbury is another one who has excellent elevation, saw a few marks where he'd be leading out and then go straight up a good 30+ inches in the air to pluck the mark at it's highest point.

Speaking of elevation, am watching an old 1996 game and came across this fumbled attempt by G.Ablett . . .
talk about hops :D

vic-v-wa_1_zpsc0ba79de.gif

yeh good one. Murdoch does have very good hops. Burbury is another one who has excellent elevation, saw a few marks where he'd be leading out and then go straight up a good 30+ inches in the air to pluck the mark at it's highest point.

Speaking of elevation, am watching an old 1996 game and came across this fumbled attempt by G.Ablett . . .

Can't see Kersten (or Murdoch!) dropping a sitter like that... ;)

A lot of things need go right for us to get into the GF this year. One of those that Kersten has to perform nearly every week and contribute 2 goals a game average (and the occasional 3 would not go astray), present up the ground and therefore opening space for Hawkins, take a few leading marks and make 3-4 tackles. If he can do this regularly then he will then be a significant cog in the Geelong workings.

So far he looks ok - but as the season goes on and we play better teams like Freo and Sydney - it is harder to judge what his impact will be. I would feel a bit better when the finals come around if he performs against these teams - that is in big games with more intensity and better structures..

Prob comes down to mudder V Brown.
Brown better set shot.
Mudder could be a handy 3rd forward seems bit soft for a guy hes size and can shank a set shot.
I didn't see this post. Sorry.
I don't know who goes out etc.

But I don't want Murdoch out. He could be a casualty this year. But long term, I think he'll cut teams open.

what about someone like Taylor Hunt or Billie Smedts trialled in that position for 1-2 weeks?
Murdoch would be stiff to get dropped, if there's one little criticism I have of him at the moment, he needs to pass them off instead of being a little too goal hungry.
Nothing wrong with that if your slotting the goals unfortunately his kicking is way below par at the moment

Not bad for a 35 year old.

what about someone like Taylor Hunt or Billie Smedts trialled in that position for 1-2 weeks?
Murdoch would be stiff to get dropped, if there's one little criticism I have of him at the moment, he needs to pass them off instead of being a little too goal hungry.

Perfectly summed up. He really has the blinkers on a little too much. I'm sure he'll get over it, but he needs to improve his peripheral vision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perfectly summed up. He really has the blinkers on a little too much. I'm sure he'll get over it, but he needs to improve his peripheral vision.

I agree but as he in one the fringe (not best 16 every week) I think he is trying to own his position a bit. There have been a few occasions where he has stood up and owned the moment so to speak and kicked very timely goals. I see him trying to continue that but just not getting the results.

Its not all that different to what I've said about Mots early on. He was a bit one eyed. Murda just needs to open the other a bit…

GO Catters

I agree but as he in one the fringe (not best 16 every week) I think he is trying to own his position a bit. There have been a few occasions where he has stood up and owned the moment so to speak and kicked very timely goals. I see him trying to continue that but just not getting the results.

Its not all that different to what I've said about Mots early on. He was a bit one eyed. Murda just needs to open the other a bit…

GO Catters

Good observations dazbroncos
I think he's been very good this season considering he has played a fair chunk closer to goal than normal - forward pocket isn't easy at the best of times.
I do like him up the ground running towards goal though , a little more confidence and he'll start breaking lines regularly - he then becomes an 80M player with run and carry and a booming left foot.
He's 191cm and has put on some size and added strength this season - he doesn't get pushed off the ball as much now and has the strength to break a tackle. Coming along very nicely :thumbsu:

His best will come sometime after several PS and he has played 60 plus games , but 2 goals a game now is pretty good start
Not if he doesn't do the defensive acts which are one of his strengths it won't. A solid pre-season in 2015 and we will see a much better more rounded player. Just 2 goals a game won't cut it this year either.

Not if he doesn't do the defensive acts which are one of his strengths it won't. A solid pre-season in 2015 and we will see a much better more rounded player. Just 2 goals a game won't cut it this year either.
Are you talking about Kersten?

Wait until I check the thread title.......Appears to say Shane Kersten.
Smart arse. People keep changing who they are talking about.

2 goals a game for the rest of the year?
Sees him never dropped.

Last edited:
Would you rather:

A) Have sex
Or
B) See a fully functioning forward line injury free consisting of Hawkins, Vardy, Kersten & Menzel?

Does that mean not having sex only during game time or for the full 3 weeks that this may last before someone breaks down?

And if your sex life is as scarce as the likelihood of that happening, you should probably get out of the house!

As he (meaning the Shane Kersten in the title as you like to mention :confused:,) said in his post game chat he is very aware that its not just kicking goals that gets him games. He mentioned that specifically in relation to last year where he was kicking bags ( granted in the VFL) and not getting picked as he was not doing the complete things a forward needs to do in todays footy. Of course, being aware of them and doing them are two different things but given its game #4 and he has been chasing and tackling both in F50 and up the ground, I'd say he is working on it.

Go Catters

Love your work Bobby
I feel absolutely proviledged to have seen most of his games first hand. The leap onto Perts' shoulders form virtually a standing start was also phenomenal , you forget he's around 95kgs , strongest legs in the game.
I think you also posted a video of him v the Lions? where he led out unimpeded and just kept soaring to take a grab , looked like he wasn't going to come down , would love to see that again !!;)

So his best wont come after more preseasons unless he does pressure acts which are his strength... yeah OK

As he (meaning the Shane Kersten in the title as you like to mention :confused:,) said in his post game chat he is very aware that its not just kicking goals that gets him games. He mentioned that specifically in relation to last year where he was kicking bags ( granted in the VFL) and not getting picked as he was not doing the complete things a forward needs to do in todays footy. Of course, being aware of them and doing them are two different things but given its game #4 and he has been chasing and tackling both in F50 and up the ground, I'd say he is working on it.

Go Catters

I think the marks he took leading up teh ground is exactly what they would be wanting more of , clock over some numbers on the GPS , but the ability to convert should NEVER be under estimated imo. A player who can kick a goal , when others are missing , who can nail goals in pressure moments...worth gold.
And he is also kicking them from other ways too , so plenty of upside.. PLENTY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back