Toast Shane Kersten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
VC , for a start its Rising Star , not rising ball winner or whatever. What would Hawkins average? Not sure but to me , for a key forward , possessions are not key. He as kicked multiple goals in each game ... for a young forward thats "potential" rising star" stuff because its not just one game they take into account
The only game he has earned a potential rising star nom is the Gold Coast game. He has kicked multiple goals in others games but hasn't done much else. If he has another game like the Gold Coast game then he will be in serious contention.

The only game he has earned a potential rising star nom is the Gold Coast game. He has kicked multiple goals in others games but hasn't done much else. If he has another game like the Gold Coast game then he will be in serious contention.

So far he's shown himself to be a rising good player, not a rising star.
But he's very young and very inexperienced, and has obvious potential, so the latter may well come in time.

2 goals a game absolutely cuts it as the second key forward behind Hawkins.
Not if that's all he does it doesn't. Possibly it's why the coach has alluded to him not being a lock at present and positions in the forward line are by no means settled. I'm not saying he isn't going okay by the way, only that two goals in isolation is not sufficient to hold his spot.

Not if that's all he does it doesn't. Possibly it's why the coach has alluded to him not being a lock at present and positions in the forward line are by no means settled. I'm not saying he isn't going okay by the way, only that two goals in isolation is not sufficient to hold his spot.
Or we could keep him in the side and let him develop. Who'd have thought.
What has Hawkins ever done for us apart from kick goals? Sack him!

Exactly. If Kersten averages 2 goals a game that's 44 goals for the season.

Number of times our 2nd key forward kicked 40+ goals in premiership years? 0.

Kersten has had 10 tackles in his 4 games- (4 against GCFC and Bulldogs). Hawkins has had 17 tackles in his 16 games. As he get more games under his belt, I'm sure KS will improve his stats in tackles, goal assists, etc. It's about giving him the opportunity to develop, at this stage of his career.

A bizarre move that could cost us the premiership. Even if the strategy was to move to Vardy, Hawkins and Kersten as the main 3, given that all three are injury prone with two carrying major injury concerns into the offseason you would think they would want a back up key forward in the team in Pods. One of the dumbest list management moves made in a long time.

A little too much hyperbole, I thought it was a good move, yes it was risky but I think gutsy. Pumping games into Kersten will bear fruit for years to come hopefully and we will find out where Walker, Brown and Burbury are at come seasons end....

A little too much hyperbole, I thought it was a good move, yes it was risky but I think gutsy. Pumping games into Kersten will bear fruit for years to come hopefully and we will find out where Walker, Brown and Burbury are at come seasons end....
April wants it posts back. we have already found out where they are at and it's struggling in the seconds.

Hawk uses his frame to clear passages for smalls, is up there for goal assists, attracts company freeing-up other players, is a strong contested mark, now his body is right is chasing out, brings the ball to ground etc, etc. If you think just kicking goals will cut it you are completely wrong. Agree keeping Kersten in the side to develop him is important. That is develop him as an all round player, not a one trick pony.

Scheduling will favour Shane staying in the side too. Most 1st year players (in terms of debuting) get a bit burned out after 5-6 games at the top level. The bye next week will be perfectly timed. He plays 5, gets a week off, then plays another 5 before the finals. Could work out well for him and I'm sure that he is not the only body that will appreciate the weeks respite.

Sometimes there are just things that go your way. Mitch Brown couldn't buy that kind of luck. Rolls his ankle in the last 3 mins of a game that is iced playing in the back line and missed a few weeks, loses momentum and can't get back in.

Go Catters

If we are relying on Kersto to win - then we are in trouble. There is no way that the kind of pressure needs to be on his shoulders. Im sure he can handle it but it seems a bit obtuse to suggest that a 5 game player holds the key to Geelong's final hopes.

Is Kersto important? - absolutely. Can he do it? Sure he can. Is he the Obi Wan Kenobi to Princess Leia's " you are our only hope"…. not so much.

The load to win the flag will be shared over many , and it needs to be. Shane is and willb e an important part of that machine but he aint the only part.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are relying on Kersto to win - then we are in trouble. There is no way that the kind of pressure needs to be on his shoulders. Im sure he can handle it but it seems a bit obtuse to suggest that a 5 game player holds the key to Geelong's final hopes.

2011 was similar daz, seemed as though Podsiadly and Hawkins were the go but then Hawkins slumped and couldn't get it together. Went back to the VFL while Mooney, Johnson and Vardy chipped in along with Podsiadly. It's why Collingwood were a buzz in the media and were premiership favourites as they had a pretty young forward line (did what Hawthorn were doing early this year belting teams). Mooney and Pods were terrific but some weren't sure it was going to be the answer.
Hawkins came back mid-year and slowly began to heat up, he entered the final series and 10 minutes into the third quarter against Hawthorn it was pretty obvious who to kick it too from then on.

I reckon Kersten/Hawkins/McIntosh (Blicavs & Simpson rucking) is going to be a tough proposition in a final. Murdoch, Bartel and Motlop gives us the x-factor qualities if things are working for our talls.
If it doesn't work out for us this year, we certainly have some upside next year with Vardy to slot into that CHF position, Kersten and Hawkins a little closer to goals.

I reckon Kersten/Hawkins/McIntosh (Blicavs & Simpson rucking) is going to be a tough proposition in a final. Murdoch, Bartel and Motlop gives us the x-factor qualities if things are working for our talls.
If it doesn't work out for us this year, we certainly have some upside next year with Vardy to slot into that CHF position, Kersten and Hawkins a little closer to goals.

I don't think the three rucks will play together again this season. I think the club has realised it does affect the mobility of the team. I personally don't want to see McIntosh in the forward line; I suspect by September it'll be out of him and Simpson (and it almost certainly won't be Simpson), with Blicavs as support. Whatever combination they pick, 2 rucks is way better than 3.

I don't think the three rucks will play together again this season. I think the club has realised it does affect the mobility of the team. I personally don't want to see McIntosh in the forward line; I suspect by September it'll be out of him and Simpson (and it almost certainly won't be Simpson), with Blicavs as support. Whatever combination they pick, 2 rucks is way better than 3.
I agree. I think McIntosh & Blicavs is the preferred combination at this stage. Playing Simmo as well makes us too slow, despite the fact his ruckwork is OK.

I agree. I think McIntosh & Blicavs is the preferred combination at this stage. Playing Simmo as well makes us too slow, despite the fact his ruckwork is OK.
It looks like Blic + either HMc or Dawson- whoever is fitter that week. They are both proppy and liabilities, but we are far better off in that area than 12m ago. But we have also looked good with ALL 3 earlier this year. And as CS has suggested, our best is yet to come. I would not write off all 3 playing on any certain day, may well depend on the opposition also.
But CS says he focuses mainly on our own team, and what he feels is our BEST lineup. Time will tell.

It looks like Blic + either HMc or Dawson- whoever is fitter that week. They are both proppy and liabilities, but we are far better off in that area than 12m ago. But we have also looked good with ALL 3 earlier this year. And as CS has suggested, our best is yet to come. I would not write off all 3 playing on any certain day, may well depend on the opposition also.
But CS says he focuses mainly on our own team, and what he feels is our BEST lineup. Time will tell.

Scott said last week they'll be taking another look at playing the 2 biggies together (because the early-season success of the move surprised them). But he didn't say how much of or how long a look.

Disagree with this quote from the article -
It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if he crashed into Stevie J or the Tomahawk in the coming weeks and emerged with the footy.

He doesn't do that because it is more important for him to b creating space (not to mention not injuring his team mates), he leads up very nicely and is progressing just fine with his own game thanks..

Is Kersto important? - absolutely. Can he do it? Sure he can. Is he the Obi Wan Kenobi to Princess Leia's " you are our only hope"…. not so much.

The load to win the flag will be shared over many , and it needs to be. Shane is and willb e an important part of that machine but he aint the only part.

Go Catters

LOL Ohh Dazbroncos you have done it again. :D

The week off has come at an excellent time for Kersten.
Think he is a little tired? Body or brain? Been a lot of talk , articles in the paper , it would just be something he is not used to. Some big tough games coming up...but the good thing about playing good sides is they will back themselves. He will have more chances and how sweet it would be for him to kick a few against the Dockers

Think he is a little tired? Body or brain? Been a lot of talk , articles in the paper , it would just be something he is not used to. Some big tough games coming up...but the good thing about playing good sides is they will back themselves. He will have more chances and how sweet it would be for him to kick a few against the Dockers

I reckon a bit of both TC. Remembering he has had a disjointed season in terms of injury, I'd say playing his first 5 games in succession might be starting to take its toll. He now has 2 weeks to freshen up before 2 particularly big games.

I reckon a bit of both TC. Remembering he has had a disjointed season in terms of injury, I'd say playing his first 5 games in succession might be starting to take its toll. He now has 2 weeks to freshen up before 2 particularly big games.
I sort of relate it to a golfer setting a new standard. Being a rubbish golfer I can relate to what the brain starts to do , after playing well , maybe near your best , 4 or 5 pars in a row and the little mans starts talking , but play at the level on a regular occurrence and then it becomes normal. Then again go to a new level hit 2 or 3 birdies and little man starts talking again.
K has done that , in a perfect world he can settle into the role without having to be dropped.

Last edited:

would love to see him push up field a little further and mark the ball around the fifty metre marks. I know oppositions defenders would do their homework and try and keep him out if but he'd get a bit more room out there as opposed to inside fifty.
From 55 metres (even 60 out), he can have pot shots for goal given his exceptional kicking distance. We use to do similar with Ben Graham, led high up outside the fifty and was often able to score while Kingsley patrolled the goal square.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back