News Shane Rogers has quit Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing thing is that if we've offered him a contract and he's signed it and still left is that we've obviously backed the guys in, he's committed to the job then turned around and left. For me this stinks. Would be interesting to know why exactly he's left with this being the case and his job nowhere near done.

I did get a bit of a feel that he was going along ok. Without reviewing things in depth and going through the draft and looking what he's missed it's hard to say and a little too early to tell.

He seemed like a professional who had everything in order. You'd hate it to be a situation where he couldn't get everything he wanted so he kicked up a stink and left, you'd really hope he had a bloody good reason to leave.

You'd hope it didn't have anything to do with Mathieson who showed himself to be a bit of a halfwit (stick to what you know) when it comes to knowing what was going on at Carlton. Yes he was right criticising our recruiting but he was wrong to criticise a bloke who had been in the job for only a moment.

Luckily he left at this time of the year, at least it gives us time to get things back on track.

It makes me nervous when we lose the most important person at the footy club. This is quite literally a make or break moment for the footy club. We can not afford another Wayne Hughes.

It is concerning that he quit, wonder if the reasons Luke Williams left and Rogers are similar.

If they get day release, police now targeting GWS for KM Hunt's gang. Good move by the AFL to put a dealer amongst a bunch of young kids with spare time and heaps of money on their handso_O
Am I missing something here. Didn't hunt play for GCS rather than GWS?

It seems we are fine with the players using coke (give them 3 strikes plus) but not with them buying it. So unless the players are out there on street corners selling coke, it would seem to be a massive beat up of a story.

It is concerning that he quit, wonder if the reasons Luke Williams left and Rogers are similar.
Club should have just bitten the bullet and stumped up for a couple of car spaces.

Am I missing something here. Didn't hunt play for GCS rather than GWS?

It seems we are fine with the players using coke (give them 3 strikes plus) but not with them buying it. So unless the players are out there on street corners selling coke, it would seem to be a massive beat up of a story.

No you didn't miss a thing, entirely my stuff up, GWS, GCS, bit like the Scott bros to me.

I thought that was the jist of the story, yes players are using but Hunt and a few others appear to be part of a syndicate dealing it. It's a society problem and recreational drugs (coke & ice)are the choice product for atheletes as they move through the system quickly all because they won't let them have a beer to unwind

All indications are that Rogers was very diligent in his recruiting role and I believe the results will prove that he was also competent in the role.

Logiudice is putting his new team in place for his tenure as president and that is exactly what he needed to do. Only a supreme optimist would suggest that if you keep all the same people in the same roles you will get a completely different outcome. Unfortunately the departure of Rogers has been collateral damage from the SOS appointment, but there is a bigger picture here.

SOS has clout with the board that Rogers never had. He is in a position to persuade the club to make hard decisions in the interests of list development. I'm not sure Rogers had the will or the backing to do this. Just because Rogers believed he was the best man for the job doesn't make it so. Did Rogers make a stand and stick his neck on the block when Hughes was making all those poor decisions? No, and you could say that he demonstrated admirable loyalty but perhaps what the Blues really needed at the time was a strong character who was prepared to walk if changes weren't made.

Everyone seems to think that SOS couldn't fail in his GWS role because of the generous draft concessions. But look at all the promising talent GWS have picked up in the 20 - 40 selection range. That certainly hasn't been a strength for the blues in recent years.

I don't like to see loyal servants leaving the club any more that anyone else, but I would be concerned if nothing changed under Logiudice's presidency.

Are the trades Rodgers call though?
Just to set the record straight on this one, Rogers was in charge of the trading and dealing with players from other AFL teams since he has been the National Recruiting Manager. He was doing the role of list manager just with a different title so some of the opinions being posted as fact are not quite on the mark in this thread.

We have unfortunately lost a very good modern day recruiter who really knew how to find players that had what it takes in today's AFL system which is devastating after lacking in this area for so long.

The club is not in good hands at the moment with the Mathiesons and LoGuidice trying to be experts in areas they are way out of their depth in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of those tricky situations and after a myriad of "good vibe" stories during the bulk of the pre-season period now we're experiencing the lows (recent injuries, Rogers, Malthouse - lets pray his wife is ok).

I would have to assume Roger's being at the club for 8 years is still part of the old Regime and perhaps his thinking is not aligned to that of the current staff and coaches and maybe has put a few noses out of joint or has caused friction. Or perhaps the newbies in place are not happy with Roger's and Roger's gets the vibe and knows that it's best to move on.

The thing that's strange is that Roger's contract was extended considerably (McKay, Malthouse would have had a say in this extension), he (Roger's) took it and I suspect to accept it was happy at that point with his role and direction through that contract tenor, so what's happened? The logical thing to point out is this is somehow associated with SOS... everything we know is maybe's, but perhaps Rogers doesn't rate the kids of SOS... or SOS has already got deals in place with some GWS talent (trades etc) so Rogers may not have any decent draft picks to play with next draft... who knows?? it's all maybes!

All I can say is that this feels a little unsettling to me (I've already renewed mine and my son's 2015 memberships) and really as a prospective member would give me that "same old Carlton post 2002" bad vibe... I know it's only NAB cup but if we have a poor showing this pre-season comp it's not going to bode well from a membership perspective, and if we don't get some positives soon coming from the club things just will remain a little unsettling.

We have unfortunately lost a very good modern day recruiter who really knew how to find players that had what it takes in today's AFL system which is devastating after lacking in this area for so long.

Yes, I agree that Rogers was showing signs of being a good 'National Recruiting Manager', but the more relevant point is whether he was the best choice for 'General Manager of List Management and Strategy'. It seems that this is the role he saw himself filling, not just the recruiting role.

Hey Mathieson - you got your way....now **** off back under the rock you crawled out from under.

These dillusional pricks called out Rogers in the media, blaming him for work done under a previous recruiter, and tried to hire Wright behind the backs of everyone at the club. Rogue operators and powerbrokers are the polar opposite of what our club needs.

Would love to know what's going on down there. Was Rogers being a spoilt brat (doubt it). Is the football club, board member, benefactor, employee to blame? Has he been poached by another club? What's he going to do for a crust now? Would think there'd be clubs chasing him. Have we been talking with another recruiters? Has Rogers had trouble working with others and failed to buy into our new structure?

I get the feel that it's poor management from the club. Chasing the other guy behind his back was really really poor form, mainly because we got caught and everyone found out, it needed to be kept private and it wasn't. It looks like we've hastily forced SOS into the equation without consulting the football department as a whole and failed to make this work. Was there not meetings held regarding this? Were people kept out of the loop? Did Rogers' opinion fall on deaf ears?

It's a big thing for a guy to walk out while contracted.

You have one bad draft and it can cost you a flag, you have consecutive bad drafts and you don't make finals. This is hugely important. Particularly for a team trying to rebuild.

From an outsider looking in I felt Rogers was doing a great job. It looked like we had put in the hard yards, we'd found guys to poach from other clubs, we were one of the busiest traders out there. Our national draft picks, while unproven, look like they might be decent. Rogers appeared to be a completely different recruiter to Hughes.

So if Silvagni is heading our recruiting this will be interesting. Yes it looks like he's picked some talent at GWS, I've seen the worse, I've seen Hughes blow early draft picks year after year, Luckily I don't think SOS is that guy. What about second and third round picks, that's where the wheat's separated from the chaff, that's where top four teams are built.

Out of interest, wasn't Serge our recruiter back in the day?

I think Rogers leant a lot from Hughes mistakes. You can't tell me that Rogers didn't have a big say in the Bootsma pick.
This is how footy goes now. People move on exspecially recuiters.
I just hope his not too close with any of our young guns.
I would think he already has another job to go to. Otherwise he would be mad not to see out the season.
Never know tho. recuiters are a strange breed of folk.

Who knows what to make of it.

Rogers seemed to be very popular with the players including the past players so hopefully it doesn't cause any unrest in the ranks.

Just on SOS he was contracted till the end of 2016 with the Giants.
Is the word on that he was really unhappy with them over how they went about the trade period
( Boyd )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back