Toast Shannon 'Bunga' Hurn: Our new captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats Hurny, good choice.

He played well when he was appointed captain last year, so i'm not too worried about it.

In fact, I think being forced to be a bit more vocal on and off field will get the best out of him.

There's no evidence to say that being a captain makes you worse at handling a tag or putting a stamp on the game offensively.
I think it's more an excuse for teams like Melbourne to say that something other then terrible player management managed to ruin their future young guns like Trengrove and Grimes. That is the only possible reason I could think of that any team would appoint a 23 year old as captain.

I think it's more an excuse for teams like Melbourne to say that something other then terrible player management managed to ruin their future young guns like Trengrove and Grimes. That is the only possible reason I could think of that any team would appoint a 23 year old as captain.
Wasn't Worsfold 23 when he was appointed as captain?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know very well it's going to take more then that for me to tone it down.

Every captain says similar things. Cotchin dropped off in his first season as captain (hasn't been the same player since IMO), Trengrove and Grimes probably also said similar things when they were both anointed captain. It's just the typical robotic media response players give.

Either way, i'm stoked with our new captain. Fingers crossed it brings out the best in him.

How old were Crotchin, Trengrove and Grimes in their first year as captain?

Crotchin and Murphy are A grade mids who attract tags every week and neither are big bodied, Murphy especially.

All three of those clubs had very few options available to be captain so maybe the choice was flawed, we know now the Melbourne co -captain set up didn't work at all.

Hurn is 27, he's big and won't be pushed around. He's copped tags in the past and struggled at times but worked through it.

Hurn IMO is in a similar position as Hodge. Established, experienced and also surrounded by other leaders. Judging on his performances last year he'll be fine and we are about to see the best of Hurn.

I really hope not for the sake if my previous post. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first half of your post was spot on. Second half...well lots of 23 yr olds are well equipped enough (Cousins and Judd were both 23, for instance).

Which game did he captain?
Adelaide game I'm pretty sure. Maybe not.

On an unrelated note, how minimal is his wikipedia page! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Hurn

good choice.
all the best.

Wasn't Worsfold 23 when he was appointed as captain?

I really hope not for the sake if my previous post. :/

When Steve Malaxos was dropped for good in the 1990 finals series, Woosha took over. He was 21y 362d at the time of the 1990 1st Semi vs Melbourne.

His first game as the official captain was Rd 1 the next season - he was 22y 180d.

Loved the Adelaide victory ,rewatched on Sunday .

Congrats Bunga a very good choice as captain and will be even better if you become a Premiership Captain .
I reckon it was our best game in 2 years.

No, for the fact we were absolutely annihilated in the first 15 minutes. Wasn't a full 4 quarter performance.
Not best as in most thorough performance, but best to come back after being so far behind away from home.

Or maybe just the most satisfying

Remove this Banner Ad

Back