Shannon Byrnes calls it a day

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic last quarter in the '09 GF. It's no exaggeration that without him or Rooke in that last quarter we may not have won.

He certainly got the best out of himself after starting his career at Geelong as a rookie and playing in two premierships in one of the greatest teams of the modern era.

He also left Geelong in a very classy way with a fantastic farewell speech at our B&F after signing with the Dees.

Well done Shagga.

Look mate, he would slot into your best 22 on his best days. That's every day of the week.

I would say he's on par with Sam Mitchell.

You don't have to be an ass in a retirement thread.

From the rookie list, had a good career and 2 time premiership player -would more could you ask for? Well done

You don't have to be an ass in a retirement thread.

From the rookie list, had a good career and 2 time premiership player -would more could you ask for? Well done
How am I being an ass?

I made the tribute thread to him and now I'm putting him in the same upper echelon as a superstar like Sam Mitchell.

I hope people one day realise winning a championship is not the same as winning rings in US sports.

I liked Shagga. He went from being (as a friend so delicately put) the "inanimate carbon rod" of the Geelong 2007 Premership team to being important in our '09 flag and he had a very good season in 2010. His best work (aside from the '09 GF) was probably the week after Cousins got in trouble for flipping the bird to a 7 camera in the locker room - Byrnes motioned to do the same thing before quickly changing to a thumbs up and a smart-arse grin. Quite entertaining.

Played in more flags than Dean Cox and Lenny Hayes combined, which goes some way to establishing how his retirement should be received by fans across the league. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of 2008 he was at the cross-roads, his form wasn't that good and his finishing atrocious. He worked his butt off over the summer and got himself playing the best he possibly could in 2009.

You've always got to admire somebody who does everything to get the best out of himself, especially when they aren't overly blessed with talent.

He came from the rookie list, worked hard, and got the best out of himself. He was never spectacular, but at his best, he was a handy, quick small who could kick goals.

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread already. Byrnes had some good moments late in the 2009 GF. As helpful as that was, people must remember that his opponent was Raph Clarke. Say what you will about Byrnes, but even he was a star in comparison to that spud.

When Scott took the reigns, he was deemed to no longer be a required player, and that was probably the right call. Won a premiership with out VFL side, and probably should've called it a day there, but you can't fault him for getting a few more years and dollars out of himself if a club was willing to take him. I'm grateful for what he contributed to our success.

Another player who got the absolute most out of himself.

Was a handy player for us during 2007-2010.

I'd be quite happy to find a spot in the current team for a small forward that was getting 18-odd disposals a game and booting 30-35 goals in a season, like Byrnes did in 2009-10. An excellent career from a player who obviously has earned a lot of respect from the people that matter: his past and present teammates. And absolutely no doubt he'd be better value in a media role than the vast majority of 'superstars' who have retired recently and have got (or will get) those jobs.

If Push-Up got a press conference then Shannon Byrnes should almost receive a Knighthood.

Good player who was pivotal in the 2009 GF.
I've noticed that some people around here will tell you that Jake King is a top bloke; just because he helped out that kid a few weeks ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back