Shannon Byrnes calls it a day

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard working career as a guy playing a role in a strong side. Held his own in plenty of matches over his career but it's still rather mind-boggling that Neeld picked him up.

Legitimately did not know that he was still playing AFL.

Was a solid small forward and deserved his 2 premiership medals with the Cats.

I expected him to have some impact at Melbourne but I guess it shows the difference between a capable player in a great side and a capable player in a s**t side.

Not many guys who worked harder than him to get off a rookie list, and he was rewarded with 2 flags. That should earn him plenty of respect. And I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Has just announced his retirement.

One of the better players of the last decade - receiving a Rising Star nomination and playing in 2 premiership sides.

He was quick, worked hard and had a lovely metatarsal. He would still slot into nearly every side's best 22.

Thanks for all the memories, Shagz.
Despite me being a Geelong fan, I still would not go anywhere near saying that Byrnes was "one of the better players of the last decade". He did play in 2 premierships, and he was quick, and he did work hard, etc, but he has been quite poor for Melbourne since he joined them. I strongly disagree with the fact that he would still slot into nearly every side's best 22.

Last edited:
The number of premierships that players have won can be very deceiving. Absolute legends of the game, such as Gary Ablett Snr (among others) have not won a single premiership, whereas much lesser, less well-known players have won 1 or 2 during their career.

Hard working career as a guy playing a role in a strong side. Held his own in plenty of matches over his career but it's still rather mind-boggling that Neeld picked him up.
I almost get it in the sense that "he's two time premiership player" who and I mean no disrespect to him, would have had to work a lot harder than others to get where he is - that's a good work ethic to have around the club. But he would have been more valuable as a coach or a mature aged guy in the twos like Troy Selwood was for us.

Despite me being a Geelong fan, I still would not go anywhere near saying that Byrnes was "one of the better players of the last decade". He did play in 2 premierships, and he was quick, and he did work hard, etc, but he has been quite poor for Melbourne since he joined them. I strongly disagree with the fact that he would slot into nearly every side's best 22.

I don't know why so many people have got sucked in by that poster.

Nevertheless in 2014 he wouldn't make (m)any sides but on 2009 form would make most teams. 2009 Byrnes is better than players like Simpkin, Ross, Burbury and McCarthy that have played quite a few games for Hawthorn and Geelong this year.

Nevertheless in 2014 he wouldn't make (m)any sides but on 2009 form would make most teams. 2009 Byrnes is better than players like Simpkin, Ross, Burbury and McCarthy that have played quite a few games for Hawthorn and Geelong this year.
Firstly, I was actually saying that Byrnes would not slot into most teams' best 22 lineup this year (whereas he would have in his prime years).
Secondly, Lincoln McCarthy has only played 2 games this season, which I don't exactly consider as "quite a few". Ben Ross also hasn't played many games this year - only 4 (he was the substitute in most of those).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Quite a servicable small forward and 07 - 10 would probably have made most sides, at least mid to low table. Its not like the Geelong side during that period was overwhelmed with crap :p

A great club man and a handy small forward.
Congrats on a well deserved career Shagga, can't fault someone who wrung every ounce of their talent out to achieve what he did.

It's surprising how many people in this thread are not familiar with sarcasm.

I almost get it in the sense that "he's two time premiership player" who and I mean no disrespect to him, would have had to work a lot harder than others to get where he is - that's a good work ethic to have around the club. But he would have been more valuable as a coach or a mature aged guy in the twos like Troy Selwood was for us.

Agree with this. More clubs should actually go this route with ageing players.

The impact of having Troy captaining the Bendigo bankers for a couple of years will be felt a long time after people forget he was ever even in Geelong. Was a very good pickup.

Agree with this. More clubs should actually go this route with ageing players.

The impact of having Troy captaining the Bendigo bankers for a couple of years will be felt a long time after people forget he was ever even in Geelong. Was a very good pickup.

Yeah, the Bulldogs went the same route with Prismall, Lower & Markovic. Get a bunch of mature bodies in to lead the way and to protect the kids.

2009 Byrnes is better than players like Simpkin, Ross, Burbury and McCarthy that have played quite a few games for Hawthorn and Geelong this year.

I believe you are referring to Lincoln? If so, he has played 3 career games before suffering an injury setback. Personally, that kid will not only consolidate his spot in the starting 18 but become quite a footballer so remember the name ;)

As for Shan Shan, got the most out of himself and as mentioned numerous times, his final quarter in the 2009 grannie was pivotal in helping us get over the line.
Congratulations Shannon.

Has just announced his retirement.

One of the better players of the last decade - receiving a Rising Star nomination and playing in 2 premiership sides.

He was quick, worked hard and had a lovely metatarsal. He would still slot into nearly every side's best 22.

Thanks for all the memories, Shagz.
There were moments when he wasn't even in Melbourne's best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back