Suspended
Sep 8, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Scorchers, Glory, Southampton
Congratulations Shannon. Well deserving

SHANNON Hurn has been named as West Coast captain for 2015.

The rebounding defender becomes the 10th Eagles captain in the club's history.

The 27-year-old was a part of the captaincy rotation last season after long serving skipper Darren Glass retired mid-season.

Hurn qualified for life membership last season when he played his 150th game in round 21 against Essendon.

Coach Adam Simpson said Hurn's endorsement for the full-time job was overwhelming.

"The players had a vote and it was pretty clear they thought Shannon should get the job," Simpson said.

"After Glassy retired we were really impressed with the way all of the boys accepted the responsibility of the captaincy.

"One of the key things as captain is that you have to play well and they all did that.

"With JK (Josh Kennedy) and Scooter (Scott Selwood) as vice-captains, there is terrific support around Shannon, but everyone on the list has a leadership role to play in one form or another."

Hurn said his playing style would remain the same.

"To be perfectly honest it won't change me a lot," Hurn said.

"All of the senior players have looked to provide some direction.

"It's an exciting time for our football club and we want to be part of a drive towards success."

Interesting, didn't see this coming. I thought it would be between Waters and Priddis so shows what I know. Makes sense though, come across as very comfortable in front of the camera and has a clean reputation and furthermore is one of their better players. Was also the top ranked defender in the Official AFL rankings from May 2013 to August 2013 so he has some real pedigree too :p

Good choice IMO. Was leaning towards Priddis early on but Hurn really flourished as a leader in the latter half of the season and is maybe a bit more suited to it personality wise. Still, I'd be a little disappointed that none of the younger blokes stood up to the role - maybe in a couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good choice IMO. Was leaning towards Priddis early on but Hurn really flourished as a leader in the latter half of the season and is maybe a bit more suited to it personality wise. Still, I'd be a little disappointed that none of the younger blokes stood up to the role - maybe in a couple of years.

Scott Selwood missed 10 games last year with injury & turning 25 next year would have been my pick.

Personally thought Priddis was the obvious choice. Bizarre he isn't even a vice captain.

Was always hoping Collingwood could land him love how he plays

Surprised Selwood didn't get it

Selwood not playing the season hurt his cause.
We are very blessed to have some very good leaders at the club
Official Positions
Bunga Hurn captain
Scott Selwood Vice captain
Josh Kennedy Vice Captain

Part of leadership team
Matt Priddis
Eric Mckenzie
Beau Waters ( if Beau wasn't injured so often he would be captain)

They all had a turn being captain in second half of year and where bog each game they where captain.
Hurn is a very natural leader, and a good speaker.

Interesting, didn't see this coming. I thought it would be between Waters and Priddis so shows what I know. Makes sense though, come across as very comfortable in front of the camera and has a clean reputation and furthermore is one of their better players. Was also the top ranked defender in the Official AFL rankings from May 2013 to August 2013 so he has some real pedigree too :p

I think it's a great decision. Love the bung! Was out of Hurn, JK and Mackenzie for mine.

Waters is 29 and Priddis 30 in March.

Waters played 7 games in 2013 and none last year. He's played 120 games out of a possible 257, and I'd be surprised if he makes it to 150 by the time he retires. Well respected around the club and borderline suicidal on-field but would have been a poor choice IMO.

Priddis is just a bit spudly. He's a hard worker and no doubt a great team man, but you could tell from his Brownlow speech he's pretty shy and he's never really struck me as a club figurehead kind of guy.

Brisbane mods ban people for calling them by their old club name

Leaving aside the general discretion for club board mods to mod their own board however they see fit, the term 'Bears' is a clear term of derision and rooted in the lack of success on and off-field associated with the Bears moniker.

Anyway, back on thread, I sort of expected Scott Selwood but I am not upset with this at all. Good player, plays hard (but fair) and zero off-field controversies. May his reign be long and successful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back