Votes: 25 53.2%

• Total voters
Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
This is a debate assuming Chris Rogers is passed fit to play.

It seems very much that this debate has flown under the radar with the distraction of the Watson/M. Marsh debate followed by the Nevill/Haddin debate, but is something that really needs to be looked at as the problem of Voges is one that is just continuing to grow. England bowled poorly in the 2nd test, with the exception of Broad, so expecting a similar bowling performance would be silly.

I feel that Voges is getting by on his debut century against the West Indies even though he has failed dismally since then. Since the 1st test in the West Indies he has scored 145 runs @ 20.7 and failed to reach 50, by comparison Marsh has 298 @ 98.3 with 2 century and a test 50.

Voges is just shy of 36, Marsh has just turned 32. I've always believed that once you reach 35 you either need to be putting the runs on the board consistently or else you are out for a younger player, Voges just isn't scoring runs, whilst Marsh is piling them on.

We need to also look at life after Chris Rogers, he's in career best form and whilst he is sticking by his decision to retire after this series there have been a number of Australian players publicly state they would love for him to bat on especially for the two NZ series because of his experience with a swinging ball at the top of the order (Warner, Smith & Johnson are all on record, Clarke has played a straight bat and said it is up to Rogers to decide, but no doubt would love for him to stay on). Marsh is clearly at the top of the queue, but the chance to give him another 3 tests to get himself back into the swing of Test cricket inside a high pressure Ashes series will be of a huge benefit.

weekend at bernies

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, GSW
Smarsh never deserved to be dropped. Was playing well last home series, did alright in WI (after changing to an opener) and made runs in tour games. Should of always started ahead of Voges.

unfortunately we don't have many test quality batsmen knocking on the door for selection.

SMarsh certainly deserves to be considered but he isn't an amazing choice in the scheme of things.

Jsmoove1

Debutant
Oct 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Nah, no knee-jerk reactions. The public want to drop everyone after 2 bad tests, you've got to show a bit more faith in players, they have been selected for a reason.

He's only batted in 5 test innings and he's made 25+ in 4 of them. I'd give him at least 1 more test, if he goes out cheaply, say under 40, in both innings then I'd think he'd be in a bit of trouble.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
He's had a massive 5 innings so far in his test career for scores of (in order):

130*

You don't drop someone for that. Absolutely ridiculous suggestion. This debate is going under the radar because it's absolute bollocks.

Last edited:
"Mummy! Buy me a licence plate!"
"No, come along, Adma."
"Are you talking to me?"
"No, my son is also named Adma."

Would be sticking with Voges myself. He got a cracker in the last Test and I feel like a score is just around the corner. He earned the position and I would give him the series at least.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Voges made 1 this morning in the shadow of yet another Marshy 100. This is not even a debate anymore.

You do know that the attack Marsh slammed his hundred against consisted of

a) 32-year-old never will be who can just hold his place in the currently-placed 16th (out of 18) county team.
b) 29-year old who couldn't get a game in the first XI last season (or this season - up until this game).
c) 20-year old making his debut.
d) 19-year old making his debut.

So well done Marsh for making his 16th first class 100. Shame Voges didn't add to his 26 hundreds. Marsh averages 38 - compared to Voges 45. Marsh has 2 test hundreds in 14 tests.

Shaun Marsh has had the most charmed run of any player re selection over the past 3 or so years.

Shaun Marsh has had the most charmed run of any player re selection over the past 3 or so years.
Not really, he's been earning his chances with good performances in the Shield.

Jan 13, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
He's had a massive 5 innings so far in his test career for scores of (in order):

130*

You don't drop someone for that. Absolutely ridiculous suggestion. This debate is going under the radar because it's absolute bollocks.
When you take out the 130 and put in the FC scores it reads

He's almost 36 struggling so you have ask is it better to go with the old bloke who might play about another 20 tests before retiring or the bloke who could play 50-60 tests? If a bowler was having that sort of run there is no way he'd be getting pick so why should we pick a batsman.

Jan 13, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
You do know that the attack Marsh slammed his hundred against consisted of

a) 32-year-old never will be who can just hold his place in the currently-placed 16th (out of 18) county team.
b) 29-year old who couldn't get a game in the first XI last season (or this season - up until this game).
c) 20-year old making his debut.
d) 19-year old making his debut.
Yes and it is the same attack Voges scored 1 against.

So well done Marsh for making his 16th first class 100. Shame Voges didn't add to his 26 hundreds. Marsh averages 38 - compared to Voges 45. Marsh has 2 test hundreds in 14 tests.

Current form is what matters and Marsh earned his spot in the touring side on form. Using career statistics to justify a decision would be like me saying Haddin has to be an automatic selection when fit because of his form in the last Ashes series in Australia. It all sounds good but it means crap.

2014-15 706 runs @ 64.18, 3 centuries, 2 fifties.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
They'll stick with Voges for the next 2 tests at minimum, give him a real good chance to prove himself and by then he'll have played 6 tests. If he's able to score at least 2 half centuries and average 30 in the next 4 innings he'll stay in the team for the rest of the series and the NZ series and SMarsh will come in at the top of the order, possibly to open, after Rogers.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
Poll needs a Watto option.
Voges will get another go at it, but he'll be under a fair bit of pressure if he fails in the next test.
They'll stick with Voges for the next 2 tests at minimum, give him a real good chance to prove himself and by then he'll have played 6 tests. If he's able to score at least 2 half centuries and average 30 in the next 4 innings he'll stay in the team for the rest of the series and the NZ series and SMarsh will come in at the top of the order, possibly to open, after Rogers.
I ******* hope not.

Jan 13, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
Poll needs a Watto option.
Voges will get another go at it, but he'll be under a fair bit of pressure if he fails in the next test.

I ******* hope not.
It's not Bay 13 here with Jack Watts options.

You mightn't want Marsh to open, but the odds are pretty short that he will be unless Rogers changes his mind.

It's not Bay 13 here with Jack Watts options.

You mightn't want Marsh to open, but the odds are pretty short that he will be unless Rogers changes his mind.

Joe Burns surely is the next opener. Just get rid of Voges post Ashes. Marsh can bat 4 or 5.

That's why I want him to get the job now at 5, score runs there so come the NZ series they bring in Burns to open.

Can do it after the series. I still have a massive question about carrying both Marsh boys.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Voges. Though it's nice to see Shaun scoring first class runs consistently.

Shaun Marsh has nearly tripled his ton count in the past few years. 16 tons out of 108 looks far better than 6 or 7 out of 65 or whatever he was a few years back. That was always the thing held against him for me was that he didn't convert.

Back