Sheffield Shield Popularity

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive got an idea... let cricket stay at the G running a 100,000 seat stadium, and the AFL builds another 100,000 seat stadium in the suburbs for their own ground to use all year round... oh wait...

Back to the popularity of shield... should sell the rights to ABC for cheap, to get the games on TV. and rather than play all games of the round at the same time, why not have each round over 12days, so their is constant cricket on TV over the summer. could be win/win for CA and ABC. ABC have 4 channels now? surely 1 can be used for cricket.
CA tried to get the ABC to broadcast Shield games on ABC radio and they didnt even want to do that. No way ABC would even consider broadcasting Shield games on TV, especially considering they've been wanting to ditch WAFL and SANFL coverage for a while now.

This move, to enable/encourage Fairfax to take on some of the BBL coverage has not helped ABC/CA relations: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...broadcast-rights/story-fna045gd-1226810871368

It can really change your opinion of a player if you see him bat or bowl live. Worth going to at least an afternoon session from time to time for that reason alone.

One like is not enough for this post - I offer no opinions on australian based players until I have seen them play live, even if it's only once - I've only seen Joe Burns bat once and didn't like what I saw and until I see him again, my opinion will not change.

Insulting the Melbourne Cricket Ground by playing cricket on it?
it is but , the Ground is only what it is today, pretty much due to the AFL. there is no way, 1 test, a few odi's and t20 games per year, is going to pay for a state of the art 100k seat stadium

At this point in time - with an election looming - and polls potentially heading towards a change in government - and with the Federal government having just changed - and funding models up in the air as a result - Funding from the Vic Govt - across all levels is non existent. It's unlikely that an upgrade to the Junction Oval will garner many votes - thus I'd suggest it's a fair way off happening.
does the vic government give any funding to the grounds now days?

swing up to NSW, in a state, predominantly dominated by League, the NSW shield side seems to have problems of grounds that they can play on as well as having facilities up to scrach, they even managed to host the RYOBI CUP last summer.

now Victoria, AFL dominated, oval shaped grounds, the Bushranger's cant find a ground out side the MCG that has adequate, facilities.

does any one know whats happening to thses grounds, as they could be possibly be home to the bush rangers
optus oval, aside from Carlton training there, nothing else happens there & still a relativity updated ground Carlton fc has pumped millions in to the place the last 10 years & just recently up graded all of their training facilities

Victoria park, some of the old stands are being torn down and replaced with grass hills & opened up to the public, not being used for anything
Junction oval, just closed off rotting away

does the vic government give any funding to the grounds now days?

swing up to NSW, in a state, predominantly dominated by League, the NSW shield side seems to have problems of grounds that they can play on as well as having facilities up to scrach, they even managed to host the RYOBI CUP last summer.

now Victoria, AFL dominated, oval shaped grounds, the Bushranger's cant find a ground out side the MCG that has adequate, facilities.

does any one know whats happening to thses grounds, as they could be possibly be home to the bush rangers
optus oval, aside from Carlton training there, nothing else happens there & still a relativity updated ground Carlton fc has pumped millions in to the place the last 10 years & just recently up graded all of their training facilities

Victoria park, some of the old stands are being torn down and replaced with grass hills & opened up to the public, not being used for anything
Junction oval, just closed off rotting away

Carlton own Visy Park, Carlton Cricket Club now play on Princes Park No.2 and have not played on No.1 for years. Collingwood Cricket Club merged with Camberwell and became Camberwell Magpies some years ago having been kicked out of Victoria Park by the Footy club. The ground has been redeveloped for "community access" and only the Sherrin Stand remains from the glory days, the Collingwood Reserves play their in the VFL.

Having spent a bit of time in sin city, the rectangular nature of the sporting codes means that most grounds can be used in winter without the wicket block being used, not so in the garden state.

The Junction has been identified as the place, all of the planning has been done. Only funding stands in the way of it happening.

Carlton own Visy Park, Carlton Cricket Club now play on Princes Park No.2 and have not played on No.1 for years. Collingwood Cricket Club merged with Camberwell and became Camberwell Magpies some years ago having been kicked out of Victoria Park by the Footy club. The ground has been redeveloped for "community access" and only the Sherrin Stand remains from the glory days, the Collingwood Reserves play their in the VFL.

Having spent a bit of time in sin city, the rectangular nature of the sporting codes means that most grounds can be used in winter without the wicket block being used, not so in the garden state.

The Junction has been identified as the place, all of the planning has been done. Only funding stands in the way of it happening.
i have read about CV plans to move to the junction, but it was doing to cost 30 odd million dollars & was relying on government funding. the Victorian government doesn't want to spend any money on it, as they are to busy spending every spare cent on the tennis center area.

could visy park be used at all, as a come for CV, its got newish modern stands, the majority of the facilities would already be in place, gym & admin, all that would be requited would be to build some training wickets. it would also generate extra money for the footyclub.

the ground sits there empty the majority of the year, rotting away.

i have read about CV plans to move to the junction, but it was doing to cost 30 odd million dollars & was relying on government funding. the Victorian government doesn't want to spend any money on it, as they are to busy spending every spare cent on the tennis center area.

could visy park be used at all, as a come for CV, its got newish modern stands, the majority of the facilities would already be in place, gym & admin, all that would be requited would be to build some training wickets. it would also generate extra money for the footyclub.

the ground sits there empty the majority of the year, rotting away.

In a word no - Visy gets used for pre season by TAC cup squads, no longer has wickets in it and Carlton would not want to share it. CV needs its own stand alone facility to access all year round, sharing with an AFL club is not practical.

It is a public holiday in Vic, Tas and ACT where the final round of matches are being held - yet the games start tomorrow. Can anyone explain how that could possibly be allowed to happen.
On Saturday a lot of people would have had their club comp finals or semis, but why not at least start on the Sunday. Tuesday just looks like they are hiding the games, wanting to kill the Shield off.

It is a public holiday in Vic, Tas and ACT where the final round of matches are being held - yet the games start tomorrow. Can anyone explain how that could possibly be allowed to happen.
On Saturday a lot of people would have had their club comp finals or semis, but why not at least start on the Sunday. Tuesday just looks like they are hiding the games, wanting to kill the Shield off.
Most Victorian comps do their semi's Saturday/Sunday

I sort of figured that would the case at the top levels, but not so much suburban synthetic pitch comps. Even so, it surely would make sens to start on the Sunday or Monday (even the Saturday despite more club cricketers playing) than the Tuesday when everyone is back at work.
Even moreso in Canberra, where its the only FC game for the season.
I just don't understand the idea of playing the Shield mid-week and not even getting one day of a weekend in. I understand it even less when there is the extra day of the weekend. I know its still not going bring in a crowd, but an attedance of maybe 300 is surely better than one of 100. I just don't understand the idea of not even giving people the option.

Why the bloody hell dont CA book all the grounds for the shield final...
Frist AO cant be used if SA win the rights, cause a band in their 90's is apparently playing.
Now SCG can be used either cause of a baseball game.

CA are bloody useless!

Why the bloody hell dont CA book all the grounds for the shield final...
Frist AO cant be used if SA win the rights, cause a band in their 90's is apparently playing.
Now SCG can be used either cause of a baseball game.

CA are bloody useless!

Sadly we are in the era of grounds now called "Stadia" if they are developed with funds from the public purse then the must have more widespread and commercial uses.

Sadly we are in the era of grounds now called "Stadia" if they are developed with funds from the public purse then the must have more widespread and commercial uses.

Yeah but surely is CA had booked the ground (like the AFL supposedly does for football finals - even though they stuffed up last year) then the baseball would had to have been played at another ground, or a week later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except at the MCG where Cricket Victoria has a hold on the ground until the end of March, although they do allow the AFL the concession of getting access to the ground in the last week of March.

At present there is no alternative approved First Class venue in the state - that is the only roadblock - upgrade the Junction and watch and see what happens. NSW have a plethora of venues, SA now has Glenelg Oval, Qld - Allan Border Field etc, etc.

At present there is no alternative approved First Class venue in the state - that is the only roadblock - upgrade the Junction and watch and see what happens. NSW have a plethora of venues, SA now has Glenelg Oval, Qld - Allan Border Field etc, etc.
This is why I believe the AFL should get together with Cricket Victoria & offer some funding towards the proposed upgrade of the Junction Oval (this would also require some govt funding, but less than would be required if the AFL didn't tip in any funds). This funding should be contingent on Cricket Victoria surrendering access to the MCG to the AFL for the entire month of March, cricket World Cups notwithstanding. It is a win/win situation.

This is why I believe the AFL should get together with Cricket Victoria & offer some funding towards the proposed upgrade of the Junction Oval (this would also require some govt funding, but less than would be required if the AFL didn't tip in any funds). This funding should be contingent on Cricket Victoria surrendering access to the MCG to the AFL for the entire month of March, cricket World Cups notwithstanding. It is a win/win situation.

AFL are already committed to tipping in under the current plan, The Napthine Govt is the sticking point. One would think that with the current economic and job environment in Vic, that may not change in the forseeable future.

would be ok with the final being hosted at the same location every season

Nope... Its the one thing that lets down the AFL GF (although currently the MCG is the only ground suitable to host a GF, so until AO, Subi ect get to 100k cpapacity wont change).
GF should be played at the home ground to who ever earnt the right, or if the ground isnt available then the home team chooses the grounds location.

Nope... Its the one thing that lets down the AFL GF (although currently the MCG is the only ground suitable to host a GF, so until AO, Subi ect get to 100k cpapacity wont change).
GF should be played at the home ground to who ever earnt the right, or if the ground isnt available then the home team chooses the grounds location.
I think having it at the same ground (for me WACA/Gabba) is a good policy. If it's a draw, top side wins

I think having it at the same ground (for me WACA/Gabba) is a good policy. If it's a draw, top side wins
Lets say they choose the WACA, and the decider is between Vic and Qld. Shield struggles with crowds as it is, this would attract all of 5people, and that would be the broadcasters.

Lets say they choose the WACA, and the decider is between Vic and Qld. Shield struggles with crowds as it is, this would attract all of 5people, and that would be the broadcasters.
Who cares? There'd be, what, 400 people there over the 5 days anyway. They'd be posting a >15k loss either way, why does it matter?

Who cares? There'd be, what, 400 people there over the 5 days anyway. They'd be posting a >15k loss either way, why does it matter?

Because having 400 people to the game is better than none. There better off telling the clubs that for shield cricket big grounds cannot be used. ie, AO, MCG, SCG, WACA, GABBA are not to be used. Must choose a local ground, so when 1`000 turn up, it looks like a decent crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back