Sheffield Shield Round 1: Victoria Bushrangers v Queensland Bulls @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm more optimistic for playable weather now than what I was yesterday evening. Yesterday the BOM where suggesting rain and thunderstorms for this afternoon and this evening. If my calculations are correct it seems as though the worst of the weather has already come through. All we need now is for the wind to pick up.

Question without notice Western Royboy - what's the latest time they could play to? Can you imagine circumstances leading towards Matthew Wade hitting the winning runs as the clock approaches midnight.

I'm more optimistic for playable weather now than what I was yesterday evening. Yesterday the BOM where suggesting rain and thunderstorms for this afternoon and this evening. If my calculations are correct it seems as though the worst of the weather has already come through. All we need know is for the wind to pick up.

Question without notice Western Royboy - what's the latest time they could play to? Can you imagine circumstances leading towards Matthew Wade hitting the winning runs as the clock approaches midnight.
Don't know the answer to be honest but based on the weather here - the winds are strong - I think they'll start on time so it won't be an issue

I'm more optimistic for playable weather now than what I was yesterday evening. Yesterday the BOM where suggesting rain and thunderstorms for this afternoon and this evening. If my calculations are correct it seems as though the worst of the weather has already come through. All we need now is for the wind to pick up.

Apparently the thunderstorms are still a possibility despite nothing showing on the radar (according to Jane Bunn at the races!)

Finch is a serious dud. Relies on flat decks to make runs in the short forms. Not surprised he can't make a state teams Sheffield team.

This whole "overlooked" line that is being spun is utter garbage. Guys like Finch, Carters (for NSW), etc. were quite obviously left out of selection for their state sides this week with the Cricket Australia XI fixture in mind.

This whole "overlooked" line that is being spun is utter garbage. Thought guys like Finch, Carters (for NSW), etc. were quite obviously left out of selection for their state sides this week with the Cricket Australia XI fixture in mind.
Finch was 100% overlooked, why the conspiracy theory?

Finch was 100% overlooked, why the conspiracy theory?

No conspiracy at all.

It's hardly outlandish to think that CA would want to have a guaranteed look at Finch open the batting in a FC setting against a good international bowling attack, and hold him out of a state fixture because of it.

They clearly like Finch as a player (regular ODI and T20I selection, T20I captain), and are probably grooming him to make a Test appearance at some point, if he can hold up his end and put up the requisite FC runs, of course (which for some reason nobody wants to see him try and do).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently the thunderstorms are still a possibility despite nothing showing on the radar (according to Jane Bunn at the races!)

It is humid and that normally means late afternoon showers in Melbourne. Of course Queensland bowlers have historically reigned supreme over Victorian batting in such humidity. The Bulls would be arriving at the ground today with some optimism.

No conspiracy at all.

It's hardly outlandish to think that CA would want to have a guaranteed look at Finch open the batting in a FC setting against a good international bowling attack, and hold him out of a state fixture because of it.

They clearly like Finch as a player (regular ODI and T20I selection, T20I captain), and are probably grooming him to make a Test appearance at some point, if he can hold up his end and put up the requisite FC runs, of course (which for some reason nobody wants to see him try and do).
He wasn't chosen for Victoria because he's not in their best Shield XI. I'm not convinced that those runs against NZ changes that either, especially with Dean's first up performance.

It is good to hear Pattinson was back bowling really well and confident. The Bulls players didn't play him well but there is no real shame in getting skittled by him with the new pill. He is in the top 3 best bowlers in the country IMO.
Three very weak dismissals.
No conspiracy at all.

Really?

I assumed he must have had a niggle, was he seriously just not picked? :drunk:

As far as I can tell he wasn't picked. He was playing in the CA XI match and is playing grade cricket today so safe to say he wasn't injured. I think the problem is they've got Hopes in the side as a bowler. Time to let Hopes go I'd say.

1/172
Could Dean get a century and be not out in both innings on debut.Currently 82.

If he was a NSW player he already be picked for the 3rd Test ;)
Any idea if anybody has scored a century in each innings on debut? It'd be one helluva feat if Dean can pull it off.

You know it's a good debut when you spend every minute of the match out on the ground.

The best feat of longevity by a Deano since 1986:

Footnote: Jones did play plenty of great innings for Victoria and Australia after this Test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back