Sheffield Shield Round 10: Commonwealth Bank Bushrangers v XXXX GOLD Queensland Bulls @ MCG

Predict VIC v QLD

• VIC 0 QLD 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VIC 6 QLD 2

• VIC 2 QLD 6

• VIC 2 QLD 0

• VIC 0 QLD 2

• VIC 3 QLD 3

• VIC 1 QLD 1

• No points

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would he drop getting paid 400k+ a year in the media to coach?
Is he getting payed that much?
Brad hodge could be a batting coach, last I heard he was still playing club cricket on his weekends in between t20 tournaments,
Mathew Elliott? What he he doing now days
Or even get old viv to hang around over summer, he is already down here with the stars?

Is he getting payed that much?
Brad hodge could be a batting coach, last I heard he was still playing club cricket on his weekends in between t20 tournaments,
Mathew Elliott? What he he doing now days
Or even get old viv to hang around over summer, he is already down here with the stars?

The key time to spend with Batsmen is in the pre season - getting routines and mindsets right. Great in theory to suggest the names which you have but aside from Matthew Elliott, who last time I spoke to him was totally horrified by what was happening, none would be available for the time required as mentors yes, but not as the appointed coach. Brad Hodge only plays club cricket spasmodically.

Plenty of excellent batting coaches out there

The key time to spend with Batsmen is in the pre season - getting routines and mindsets right. Great in theory to suggest the names which you have but aside from Matthew Elliott, who last time I spoke to him was totally horrified by what was happening, none would be available for the time required as mentors yes, but not as the appointed coach. Brad Hodge only plays club cricket spasmodically.

Plenty of excellent batting coaches out there
im sure there are but i have no idea who they are, i was just rattling of a few names of the former few Victorian batsman that where actually any good players, that who could take up a position. CV are in big trouble and need a clean out,

ps what is Matty Elliott up to now days

im sure there are but i have no idea who they are, i was just rattling of a few names of the former few Victorian batsman that where actually any good players, that who could take up a position. CV are in big trouble and need a clean out,

ps what is Matty Elliott up to now days

Disenchanted with the system - has a young bloke that goes ok. CV have been heading towards the abyss for a few year - to be able to look at things objectively you have to - to an extent be outside the system, those in amongst it can't see the wood for the trees.

The system that under pins strong cricket is grass roots and it is as poor as I've ever seen it in 30 years. If grass roots is poor then hoping anything that sits above it to be anything other than that is folly.

Victoria went down a "pathway" system many years ago focussing on elite junior talent and putting a lot of emphasis on junior carnivals and performances at that level to identify "elite talent" and then taking it from there. To my way of thinking it's flawed. Traditionally, young bucks honed their skills against hard nosed veterans in senior cricket, rather than being warehoused in mickey mouse formats against kids in their age groups. The delay in getting them into senior cricket just puts their development back a few years. People like Dean Jones bemoan the fact that we have no kids in the state team anymore - the reality is that we have none good enough or with enough experience or street smarts to compete at the required level - if we did we'd be playing them.

Mollycoddle kids and they will never develop the skills necessary to make it on their own, cricket is the same. Pretty sure nothing will change, too many people with vested interests trying to protect their own little piece of turf.

Disenchanted with the system - has a young bloke that goes ok. CV have been heading towards the abyss for a few year - to be able to look at things objectively you have to - to an extent be outside the system, those in amongst it can't see the wood for the trees.
I could have my timelines confused but given the cultural issues pervading the Victorian team and CV broadly, it makes you wonder why Cameron White was made captain so early in his career.

I could have my timelines confused but given the cultural issues pervading the Victorian team and CV broadly, it makes you wonder why Cameron White was made captain so early in his career.

I have no problems with making White captain when they did. At the time - the place was lacking in leaders - the playing group was in transition and the late great Hookes, preferred a cricketer's cricketer as captain, rather than someone who fitted the age profile. There is a famous story of Ponting apologising to Andrew McDonald after his Test debut after witnessing the Katich/Clarke incident. McDonald told him not to worry it happened in the Victorian dressing room all the time! Amongst other states we are known as the Pakistan of Australian Cricket.

White was the right choice, it may have hurt him as an international player - but it broke through a lot of the personality issues. We must remember CV have been very successful in the past ten years across all formats.

Back