Sheffield Shield Round 2: NSW Blues v Victoria Bushrangers @ SCG

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Great decision, funny reading the article on cricket.com.au, first off a great swipe from Tony Dodemaide at the SCG curator

"We're in a similar situation where we contract a ground, being the MCG, to present games that are scheduled at an appropriate standard. We had a Shield game down here (last week) and it was only about three weeks since the (AFL) grand final and the pitch and ground itself was presented in a terrific condition at the MCG.

"(Cricket NSW) would be rightfully really disappointed. I think it's been some time since there was actually anything that had gone on at the SCG - since the footy season finished, but that's nearly two months away now.

"I know there's been rain in the last week or so, but clearly there's been a lot of time to get the ground right. I would be disappointd if I was in Andrew Jones's shoes as well."

Then the whingeing from NSW...

Blues coach Trent Johnston said his players completed a two-and-a-half hour net session on the centre wicket without incident on Sunday afternoon.

He said his side was willing to field, with captain Moises Henriques prepared to declare in a bid to speed up the match.

"Out here today it's a beautiful day in Sydney and I think maybe the abandonment of the game was probably a little bit early," Johnston told Sky Sports Radio on Monday.

"I think we could've got some play in today."

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/vict...abandoned-cricket-australia-review/2015-11-09

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Content with the decision, not saying I agree with it and I feel the SCG shouldn't hold matches in the first 3 rounds of the Shield season (and did before this year). This will only be more important as the Swans play all matches at the SCG, thus the curator needs time. However I'm happy to trust that Cricket Australia made the call and will trust their decision. Move on, looking forward to round 3.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
Brad Haddin? What did I miss here?
he had fun with the situation and people are gonna take him seriously

based on what I've seen and heard there's not any difference between this and previous early season games, see against Victoria almost exactly 3 years ago and Farrell's tweet, except that 2 separate lots of about 10 mils of rain got dumped on the ground in the space of 16 or so hours. So I guess the lesson is we'll overlook this unless it rains a lot? anyway the ground will be fine by december.

and you really have to wonder if the umpire's who made the players play on what they deemed to be a dangerous surface will face their own punishment. tut tut tut

Back